Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add features to the Rearrange Artboards dialog.

I create a lot of new artboards ( 1 for each screen I am designing). Since Illustrator always puts new artboards at the right of the current top row on the workspace (regardless of the order specified for rearranging artboards), I often have to use the Rearrange Artboards command to make more space for the next artboard. The more artboards in the file, the more often I have to rearrange artboards.

It would be great if I could tell Illustrator to:

1.) Add new artboards at the location indicated by following the layout pattern in the Rearrange Artboards dialog, with…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create artboard to three decimal places

It would be nice to be able to set artboards to three decimal places without it rounding up. If I make something at 3.125", it rounds up to 3.13", or 3.6785 becomes 3.68. Although I have not had any printers yell at me for my files not being correct, I still am concerned that it always wants to round up to the hundredths place, especially when I'm having to be sure that my materials are going into places where the sizes are set in to be such specific tolerances.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make an option to disable auto-selection of artboards, when clicked inside

AI now selects artboard whenever mouse is clicked within in (with any tool). While it's a great general behaviour, I'd like to be able to disable it.

I have to work with overlapping artboards (which, by the way, sometimes prevent AI from correctly selecting the artboard clicked—it depends on artboards' order). When object is copied, AI remembers it's coordinates. Then, when I go to the object I need to place my copied art over and press Ctrl+F, AI pastes the object in the same coordinates. Sounds OK, but when I clicked that underlying object, AI moved the focus from initial…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Custom artboard presets

It would be nice to have the option to create your own artboard presets.
    Like:
    Facebook Cover page
    John's English Notebook

so you don't have to remember every size you ever used.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Preflight

Please implement an integrated preflight function that works in the same manner as the preflight function found in InDesign.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Slug

As part of my daily workflow, all my art has to have a slug, when i put all the information about the file, date, time, user, CMYK and spot colors used, company logo, etc.

Editable and complete slug option will be appreciated, see attached an example of my manual slug, i use in conjunction with a plugin which puts date time, the user, etc automatically, but i don't like plugins, I want part of the Adobe illustrator Software.

See attached an example

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. a way to nest objects on art board for sign makers

Idea: Take multiple objects, such as multiple copies of a logo or elements and nesting them within the artboard and a feature to say how much space you want between each object.

Reason: When it comes to signs or sending a print job to a plotter. Sign makers want to maximize the number of objects on a vinyl. Sure we can manually move objects or even use the distribute tool. but this takes to long and sometimes when selecting multiple objects you can not use the distribution tool to distribute both vertical and horizontal at the same time or objects…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Option to Have Golden Ratio & Rule of Thirds Grid (like PS)

For a canvas, if there is an option to get a Grid for 'Rule of Thirds' or Golden Ration.

This will make a lot easier for the designer and will be more effective in Illustrator as compared to PS (where this option is available) where vector designs are being created.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Remove canvas size limit

When working in large format printing we regularly create art for walls over 220 inches wide. It is further complicated that there are also requirements for special cuts on the router to help with monitor brackets or other notches to assist with final

installation. We must marry up the full wall art with vector cut shape prior to running file through another application that helps slice the wall art into multiple panels that include the required cut outs.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. To arrange Artboards alphabetically by there names!!

To have an option where I can arrange artboards by there names

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Drag and drop artwork between documents in same place

Photoshop allows to drag-n-drop artwork between documents in same place, when you hold Shift.
    In Illustrator, no matter what you hold, artwork would be dropped where cursor is pointed, with no respect to original X,Y coordinates.
    I desperately need this!

Quite often I have to copy artwork, containing huge raster images, from one document to another. I need them to be placed in same place, snapped on grid, but AI just drops it. The only way to keep coordinates — is to copy/paste in front/place, which takes an EON to do with my big raster images.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to Copy&Pastle "Color Groups" in "Recolor artwork" to another document

In one document I have create created some Color Groups for recolor my artwork. Now I want to copy them into another document.

It's not possible to do currently. But it's so simple to implement!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Transferring object name when Releasing to Layers

When I Release to Layers, all of the objects within that layer are renamed to "Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3" etc. and I'd love to be able to have the new layers be named the same as when they were objects.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Set location of new artboard

Bring back the ability to click to set the location of a new artboard. With 2018, I have to find wherever a new artboard appears and move it to where I want it.

In 2017 and prior, I'd just click to make a new artboard where I wanted it.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Artboard numbering error

When dublicating artboards (Alt + drag), the program randomly makes one of the artboards dublicate with the same number. When exporting the artboards, one of the duplicates is ignored and cannot be exported.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add a button to save presets like Photoshop has.

Photoshop has a button to save presets when you create a new document. I love that feature makes my job easier, I wish Illustrator had that same button instead of having to save the files as templates. So much simpler and faster with the button right there.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Separate marquee selecting and deselecting into different keys

Shift + marquee selecting should not simultaneously select and deselect objects, instead the two should be separated into different keys, such as 'Shift' for only adding to the current selection and 'Alt' only subtracting from it.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Artboard search function

Add a search bar to the Artboards window

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Export an AI Artboard from multi-artboard file to a separate single artboard AI file.

Often I create AI files with multiple artboards for creating a seamless document for presentations. Often after the presentation is made I need to break apart the file and parse out the pages to created technical fabrication details. It would help immensely if the artboards were exportable into separate single artboard AI files.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base