Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Get rid of that awful new document screen. It's annoying for experienced users.

Please have a way to turn off that new document screen the same way I can turn off the "Start Workspace".

Experienced users don't need (or want) doc creation on-boarding.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. pin document to start screen

Have the ability to pin a document to the home screen

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keep guides and elements in new document profile

I know we can create new document profiles with custom size and custom swatches and use the profiles to quickly create new new custom documents with repeating specs.

However either I am doing something wrong or I've missed something, but the guides don't get saved along the artboard size and swatches. Surely keeping the guides should be possible within the same technology? Would love to see this improvement.

I have searched everywhere for a solution to always having to open an illustrator template file as a workaround.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. New document without symbols, brushes, graphic styles

New documents are pre-filled with unwanted symbols, brushes and graphic styles that bloat the documents. I always have to go in and delete these to keep file size down, especially when saving as EPS for logos, etc.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Possibility for the USER to set the default units when creating a new document

It saves time. In stead of having to adjust this for every new document, it would be a lot better to let users define their own standards, templates and what so ever…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option for Artboards to be non-printing

Would be very useful if there could be a setting in the Artboards palate that could make them 'non-printing' (Like in Layers) - I use a lot of pre-prepared template files and sometimes don't use all Artboards, so to 'turn them off' rather than having to delete (as I may need them later in a job) or keep changing print options would be great.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. the ability to search with in the symbols palette

we can search with in the swatch palette, can that be carried over to the symbols palettes?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make the Smart Guides as reliable as the ones in InDesign!

The Smart Guides have not been working consistently for many years now. I think they work 80% of the time the way I would expect them to, but that's just not good enough for professional work. I've attached an example of an issue I'm constantly having when working with smart guides in Illustrator.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. din A format

The New Document Dialog has very poor (print) presets with only 7 (!) options to choose from. Please add all DIN-A sized formats starting from A7 or A8 all the way up to A0. It would be great to also include some of the most common B (posters) and C (envelopes and such) sizes as well as common American sizes. They can be categorized neatly with DIN-A, B, C and American sizes. That would be really helpful when creating new documents.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Introducing Responsive Artboards with possibility to drag and arrange the boards

Having a reponsive panel of the artboards which becomes thumbnails and possibilty to drag and arrange the artboards.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. duplicate artboard

It should be possible to duplicate artworks not only with Alt + Drag but with a button in the artboard options aswell - just replace it with the text that says "Press Alt + Drag Cursor to duplicate artboard" and keep the Hotkey function.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. artboard

When i create a new artboard it automaically places it next to my previous artboard. normally you see a preview and can place it somewere of your chosing. Is there a option to disable this?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Align to artboard

In older versions I always had the option to set "align to artboard" and it didn't reset after deselecting objects. I want it ba and I want to be able to do that with a single object again, without having to select at least 2 to set that.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Position elements relative to artboards.

Since several improvements to artboards are in the pipeline, I think It would be worth considering positioning elements relative to the top left corner of the artboard. I haven't found a good use for keyboard entry of x and y positions. Positioning elements relatively would make it relatively easy to maintain padding / grids across multiple artboards by entering an exact value.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Art board spacing only feature

I often have my art boards grouped very specifically and they do not have an even number of art boards in each row. When I need to rearrange the space between all my art boards that becomes a huge hassle. I'm forced to choose a column number, which alters my arrangement of columns/rows. The ability to turn off the "column" preference and only alter the artboard "spacing" would be very helpful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add trim marks back to artboards like in previous versions

Add trim marks back to artboards like in previous versions. As a print shop we use these everyday to quickly and accurately resize artboards so center crop marks and registration marks are not too close to the art when we print films. Not sure why this was even removed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Artboards in 2018 can no longer be rapidly deleted

In past versions of Illustrator, I was able to click on an artboard and continuously delete artboards until I had to ones that I want. Now when I select an artboard and delete it, the selection is deselected. I now have to continuously highight and delete, highlight and delete until I have removed all the artboards I need.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Preview art board on my smartphone

A feature where I can i.e. sync my artboards to my smartphone when designing mobile interfaces.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base