Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Return / make optional ability to indicate subfolders in artboard name / path

In previous versions it was possible to make name of artboard as "folder/subfolder/artboardname" and while export it would reproduce whole hierarchy of subfolders.
    It was super nice for organizing assets.
    Now it saves file in base directory and replaces "/" with "-".
    Maybe we can put this option to settings so that people may continue to use it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Less Application Chrome

Illustrator could have less application chrome.

• Ability to remove scrollbars and status bar

• Ability to disable "Application Bar" while "Application Frame" is selected (Controls take the place of the Application Bar)

• Adjustable-height panels e.g., a Swatches panel that's sized according to the number of swatches, not some fixed height

• Mac-native full-screen mode that hides the macOS menu bar (without having to toggle AI's view mode)

etc etc etc etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Free Trial doesn't work if licensed version used previously.

If a computer has ever had a licensed version of the product (like from a school, not a personal use), the free trial will not work FOR ANYONE EVER AGAIN ON THAT COMPUTER. Even if you sell your computer, the next person CANNOT USE A FREE TRIAL. Adobe does nothing to help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Curvature tool continuation tolerance

I work quite zoomed in, and when drawing close to an existing path with the curvature tool, it often picks up the end of the existing path and continues drawing from it. I'd love to be able to select the tolerance for this behaviour, so I can be more precise.

Currently I have to draw my intended path somewhere else, and move it to its intended location, or switch to the pen tool, which it more accurate.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create new artboard within other artboard with Shift key gone in 2018

Just switched to Illustrator 2018. In 2017 I could create a new artboard on top of another artboard by holding down the shift key and dragging with the Artboard tool. This doesn't work anymore. I can create a new artboard outside of the existing one, but I need to create multiple artboards within one main artboard. I can create a vector box where I want them all, then go to Artboard window and click Convert to Artboards, but this is many more clicks than before...not very lean.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. arcs and 'pie' shapes created from the centre point and specifying the start and end angles that remain 'live'after creation

Same as Coreldraw!... been using Illustrator for 15 years had to revert to Corel for this feature

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make Custom Views usable.

Make it possible to "overwrite" an existing Custom View instead of having to delete it to update a View with the same name.

Make it possible to rename more then one view at a time in the "Edit Views" dialog. Right multiple views can be deleted but only one view can be renamed because renaming only takes effect when "OK" button is pushed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Combine the swatches and gradients panel

Combine the swatches and gradients panel so previous used swatches can be added. It would also simplify the UI

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. improve eraser tool

Is it possible to improve the eraser tool? t would be useful to have the same improvements than in the photoshop one, , follow a path, or make a straight line from point to point

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. patterns

Why is the pattern anchored to the art board and not the item? I often create shapes and apply a pattern (lets say a plaid) and I adjust the alignment of the pattern so that it is equal on all sides. If I then copy the shape containing the pattern so that I can then offer the client a different color combination of the pattern, I now have to nudge the pattern of the new shape to align properly again! Because the pattern is anchored to the art board not the shape.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Welcome page doesn't seem to work

Clicking on the 'see what you can create' or 'swap colours' panels does nothing on my windows 10 machine in Illustrator and InDesign. I like the idea of this though!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Learning and Help  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Blend objects aligned to path and keep bounding boxes at ends straight so they don't distort

Blend objects aligned to path and keep bounding boxes at ends straight so they don't distort. Have to make many long paths of wire shapes and to keep them aligned on the path the first and last keep distorting so I can't edit or reuse for a slightly different curve.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow Save Options to be Skipped

Personally, I'd like to skip the extra dialog after I name my file and click the Save button.

If I actually want to alter any of the settings, I'd prefer to do it by actively clicking an [Format] Options button in the Save dialog (opening a new dialog) rather than after already naming the file and clicking the Save button.

Sometimes performance is slow enough that it takes some time for the next dialog to even show, which breaks my workflow as I move on to other tasks in other apps, thinking my file is safely saved already (I did…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Correctly include vector objects from previous Illustrator version files

A customer file created in CC 15 MAC and (according to tech support) using a CS/3 template does not open properly in CC 18. a group of objects appear as a missing linked file rather that the actual objects. However CS/5 opens the file and placed the vector objects inside a clip mask properly, allowing access to the vector path information. Why would CC18 not have the same capability? Worse, why would it confuse the issue stating a linked file is missing? The vector info is obviously in the file (since it appears in CS/3 and CS/5, get that info…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. No support for Vietnamese unicode and VNI

No support for Vietnamese unicode and VNI

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Select above current layer

Under the select menu I would like to see added an option to select all layers that are above/below the current layer. In my use case this would be best in the context of the current artboard.

For example, this could be used to select everything about a semitransparent overlay layer in web visuals showing a popup element.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remember Last Font

I have a few thousand fonts installed, a lot of designers probably do. I would like my last font remembered. By this I mean, after for example, I try what "AB" looks like, I then expect to see "AC" the next time I open that drop-down list. If "AB" doesn't look good, I want to see font "AD" in the drop-down next, so I can try that. Actually, I'm hoping to eventually see a "window" with fonts displaying what my text looks like. It's hard to choose the best font from a List-style view.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I would like to purchased out right

I am old school and would love to have a

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Image Trace - Inverted Colors

I would like the feature to trace a png image with white body and alpha channel active.

Sometimes my clients send me a PNG with transparency to work with, like a logo or graphic of their own. To speed up the process I tend to vectorize with Image Trace because I need it in vectors, but it's impossible if the image is with white body and transparency because I end up with a solid white rectangle.

In this cases, I need to open Photoshop, add my png, create a clipping mask, paint with the brush using any color except white,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base