Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

575 results found

1. Sync the order of Align and Distribute menu commands

Hey, we now have Object > Distribute commands! No more actions wraps to bind these to hotkeys!

However, why is the order is swapped? Align menu has Horizontal commands first, but Distribute has them at the bottom, under Vertical.

One can object it’s just like the Align panel has them, and this is not the legacy behaviour you better keep, really. Please sync these.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Align to artboard when only when item/group of items is selected.

Have aligning be dynamic depending on what is selected. If one item or group of items is selected auto select align to artboard rather than the last selected option.

If multiple items are selected but not group it would auto select align to selection.

This would reduce time having to check what you are aligning to since 99% of the time when you are trying to align a group it is to the artboard and the same with selecting multiple objects. It is a hassle having to constantly be checking and changing my align options.

77 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Alignment Hierarchy and Auto Align to Artboard

Alignment should work (Like most other design software) where there is a Parent/Child hierarchical relationship. Currently only "Align to left, and top" behave this way. Align to Center causes the two objects to meet halfway between their artboard positions. This is has been a major issue for years.

1. Touch Parent object (anchored in artboard position)
    2. Holding Shift, Touch Child object
    3. Selection alignment task
    4. Child moves to parent

In addition, the selection of "Align to Artboard" should be an automatic default state for single or grouped objects. There is no need to have a selection for "…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment, this can be done by clicking one of the selected objects to define it a key, to make all other object in the selection to align to this key.

Other apps rely on order of selection, and this is something users request to able to toggle here: http://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/39711583

As for the Align to Artboard switch — it is useful when you have a selection of objects and want to align all of them to an artboard. In these cases the default mode Illustrator enables is Align to Selection, and you have to toggle it manually.

4. Numeric scaling of text box should not scale text inside!

I'm working on keyboard layouts right now, which demand alot of precision - the reason some might argue why I use Illustrator in the first place...

I draw a lot of text boxes so I can use them to mark down the whole space of the key cap. It's just more handy than just a text field where you have to manually align the text to the key cap. >>> Image for reference (text-box-field).

See the other two images (scale-textbox-...):
    The one I scaled by hand, having the expected result: text doesn't change, only size of…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. New text alignment icons in the paragraph panel

I would suggest to add new text alignment icons in the Paragraph panel.

It would be useful to have the possibility to align text to the top, the center and the bottom of a text box.

See image to view icons example.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Right align Export destination folder path text on Export for Screens window

My suggestion is to have the 'folder path' text be right aligned in the text box, to have the export destination be more accessible, instead of the root folders.

Currently, I have to click into the folder path text box, then click + drag to see where my file will export to. This is cumbersome and unnecessary.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Align to artboard

In older versions I always had the option to set "align to artboard" and it didn't reset after deselecting objects. I want it back and I want to be able to do that with a single object again, without having to select at least 2 to set that.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Align panel: Objects touch edges

I draw as well as design web layouts in Ai, and I spend a lot of time sliding objects around on a pasteboard and using Smart Guides to snap them next to each other so they're touching. I'd like to add a set of features to the align panel that allow you to select two objets, define the target object with a second click, and then define which edge of the objects you want them to touch on: top, bottom, left, right.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Chinese text hyphenation alignment for punctuation marks in Illustrator text box

Punctuation marks justified alignment on textbox.

Need to automate the text alignment in the textbox for Chinese characters.

Because it is very time consuming to do manual kerning for each characters reiteratively, whenever there is amendment to the text in the box.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Align to Artboard is set as default

Align to Artboard is automatically set to default, even after changing the toggle to Align to Selection.

It used to work that whichever you selected, that selection would remain. But now, it always switches back to Align to Artboard. Very frustrating.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Center Pattern Command & Center both axis to align palette

Draw a vector shape and fill with a pattern, notice this is not centered. To do this is a long meticulous process prone to error.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2390290.

Can we get an option in the align palette to do this. Would also be nice to add an icon that centers both axis instead of having to click twice for horizontal and vertical.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Japanese characters in Japanese fonts are misaligned in Vertical Text Alignment

Starting with v24.3, vertical text alignment is now available. This is a great feature we have been waiting for. However, characters in Japanese fonts are misaligned at the center and bottom, as shown in Figure-1.

This is probably due to the fact that the bottom edge of the character is used as the baseline.Maybe we need The Last Baseline option.It's a tough road. But the Illustrator team can make it happen, I am sure of it.

Japanese:
    v24.3より、垂直方向のテキスト配置が利用できるようになりました。これは待ち望んでいた素晴らしい機能です。しかし、日本語フォントの文字は、Figure-1に示すように、中央揃えと下揃えの位置がずれてしまいます。
    これは、文字の下端をベースラインとしていることが原因と思われます。末尾ベースラインオプションが必要かもしれません。大変な道のりです。しかし、Illustratorチームはそれを実現できる、私はそう確信しています。

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Align to (selection. object. artboard) 3 of them should be visible always & in 1 click access

keep changing the Align to artboard by clicking on Align Button once in properties panel than click again align to Artboard , it is annoying why dont keep the three options available all the time without hiding them ander Align option

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Align to...BUTTON

In a past version of AI, the "align to artboard or selection" was a button rather than a menu. Please bring back the button! I switch between these two options hundreds of times a week and the menu wastes time that adds up.

Thanks so much always!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. "Align to" [artboard or selection] button in the alignment dialogue

I think it's a very simple thing to do for you guys: I'd really like to see the "align to" button (artboard or selection) added to the align-window.
    Actually surprised to see it's not..

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Aligning Stroke to Inside and Outside of Text

Currently strokes can only be aligned to the center of the edge of text (see red stroke in attached example), it would be very helpful to be able to set strokes to inside and especially outside (bottom/green example) of text while still being able to edit it. This is especially useful when you want to make text standout on a busy background. Thank you!

187 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Give aligning options for Text on Path tool.

When using the Text on Path tool, it would be nice to have alignment/distribution options.
    Aligning the first and last letter, center at top or bottom, and fit text around a shape.
    They way it is now, you have to drop guides and align and distribute the text so that it is even.
    It would be wonderful also to use the dropper tool to apply the alignment to new text. For instance, if I have an emblem and need to wrap several different texts around it, then once I have one the way I like…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support SVG text-anchor styling on import

I often copy SVGs that I created with JavaScript (through D3.js) from a browser into Illustrator to continue working on it there. However, the text-anchor setting (left, middle or right aligned) does not come through and it is always left aligned, although the position might seem like it is middle or right aligned. Once you choose a different font or font-size, the mismatch between the original text align and what Illustrator has made of it becomes very apparent and can be quite the chore to adjust.

It would be great if Illustrator would properly handle the …

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Convert outline text to editable text

I work with a lot of files that come to me with outline text, which I then have to retype from scratch. It would be a really useful feature if outline text could be converted to editable text - could there be some kind of auto-recognition (OCR) of the outline text and generate editable text from this? Built-in OCR?

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Bring Back Align To as a USER CHOICE !!

No ONE solution fits for ALIGN TO function. How about going back to when USERS HAD CHOICES. The fancy dynamic feature sucks. I want control BACK to what is being align. I don't want that. tool to change how it works. Bring Back Align To as a USER CHOICE !!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base