Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or
  1. Freeform Gradient 0% Opacity Option

The freeform gradient is a wonderful tool but it would be more robust if the gradient points can be put to 0% opacity so there's a nice fade. At the moment, the point disappears if you bring the opacity down to zero.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add numeric controls over ALL features of gradient

Relative position of gradient inside path.
    Origin position.
    Center position.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Gradient Swatch includes angle and position, please!

Currently a Gradient swatch only includes color and transparency. PLEASE build Illustrator so Gradient Swatches include angle and position!

It's a pain to have to adjust the gradient angle, after a Gradient Swatch attribute has been applied to an object. If the angle were editable and save-able (in the swatch) it would be wonderful!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let gradient control points / stops snap to anchor points / grid, etc.

Points on gradient (including freeform) should be allowed to snap.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. evenly space color swatch while creating new gradient

being able to distribute color swatch inside the gradient window
    eg : i want 32 swatchs on a single gradient bar.
    being ablie to eveny distribute them instead of picking a value on click and drag it ( as it is really teadius or imprecise)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. All three stroke gradient types should be applicable to all three stroke alignments

All three stroke gradient types should be applicable to all three stroke alignments. At the moment, I can only use all three gradient types if the stroke is aligned to the center of the path. If I need to make for instance a circular gradient on a stroke (the second gradient option), I am forced to align the stroke to center.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Automatically make gradients by just selecting two or more colours.

Create a default gradient of two or more colours just by selecting them on the artwork or on the swatches panel without having to copy and paste the color codes separately.

126 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow to snap gradient sliders to integer values

I'm huge fan of snapping.
    I snap tabs to units, I snap to grid, I snap almost everything — this allow me to narrow my design workflow and keep artwork organized.
    Not everyone does need this, but I do.

I suffer from absence of snapping for gradient sliders.
    I wish I can move one and make it snap at 40, by eye, and not 40.73 and then correct this value by hand.
    Please, make an option to snap sliders to integer values.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Additional transparency feature to Gradient Tool

Would be nice if the Gradient Tool would function more like the one in photoshop.

Mainly the ability to set different opacity values separately from the colour values. Not once I found myself changing my gradient shades in order to get the required transparency effect.

In addition, it would be nice to have the variant gradient selection photoshop offers, such as Radial, Reflective, and Diamond.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. a bug in gradient tool when applied to text

hi,
    New is illustrator is great in many ways but i have found one bug* or intentional modification by adobe.

it is nice to see live preview of gradient as it is being applied.. for the objects, gradient tool works fine as intended but when it is applied to text, it is buggy, i think.
    once mouse is clicked for applying gradient, after setting colors in gradient panel and new fill from appearance panel, text vanishes entirely, not allowing to see the gradient. once mouse is released, text with applied gradient appears. it is annoying.
    Check video to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Gradient properties in the properties panel

I am liking the new properties panel, but currently if i want to fill an object with a gradient, i still need to access this via its own window. Would be great if gradient options could be incorporated into the Appearance section of the Properties Panel

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. The ability to adjust the width of a gradient line using the new Freeform Gradient Tool

The new Freeform Gradient Tool is great, except that it doesn't have an option to adjust the width of the gradient lines. I think there is no need to further explain why this should be useful, because it's such a basic feature.

To make it really powerful, adjusting the width should work like the Width Tool.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to convert Freeform Mesh to Gradient Mesh

The ability to convert a freeform mesh to a gradient mesh is sorely needed. I love creating a gradient with Freefrom Mesh, it's a lot more user friendly but it is a lot more heave on the system, especially when you start having multiple objects. The ability to convert a Freeform Mesh to a Gradient Mesh should be a standard feature. Analysing the colours as it does from an image but creating a more contoured mesh as it does by default with a vector.

Gradient mesh is less heavy on the system and more universally accessible say for exporting as…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Gradient don't snap to grid when Snap to grid is on

I can't believe I haven't posted it, but search says so.
    Since CS4, I guess, when cool and fance gradient annotator showed up, gradient tool had lost it's ability to snap to grid. WHY? Do you think nobody needs to snap gradients? I need, at least.
    It should also snap to Smart guides!

Everything must snap to grid, when Snap to grid is enabled.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Gradient that follows path

Gradient path that you can customize direction and follow the curve of objects.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Draw inside object filled with free form gradient

The moment you attempt to paste artwork into an object which has a free form gradient, the gradient fill disappears and can only be retrieved if you perform undo or unclip the pasted artwork.

I honestly would love to be able to draw inside or paste into artwork filled with a free form gradient without the free form gradient disappearing. Please note that am not talking of workarounds here…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Clipping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Have a "lock" option for the gradient annotator

The gradient annotator adjusts itself when you also adjust the object bigger. I would like for there to be an option where I can have the gradient annotator lock in place while I stretch an object bigger. When I am working on a file that has a gradient to the edge of the artboard but has no bleed, this instance is where this option would be super helpful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Freeform gradient points to leave boundaries

In the freeform gradient tool if points are dragged outside of the boundaries it deletes the point. Instead I think it would be better if the points worked outside boundaries to allow for smoother gradients.

See example on how a freeform gradient would appear if points could used outside of the borders (you can currently do it by using a clipping mask but it would be easier if it was built into the tool)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Gradient following the curve of a shape

Don't know if this is an original idea but - is it possible to make an feature to make a gradient follow a user-drawn guideline (like with text on line)..? I tried to illustrate it in the attached file - the first shape is the one that should be filled with gradient, the second one is what we can do now (or mesh but that's a bit complicated) and the third one shows the guideline in purple and arrows that the gradient would follow. So the lower left part of the shape would be let's say darkest, the gradient

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. the ability to zoom in on the gradient panel for complex gradients

the ability to zoom in on the gradient panel for complex gradients. If I am creating a gradient some time I feel like I need to zoom into the panel so I can ensure I get the color pointers as accurate as possible

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base