Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

575 results found

1. Optimization of Rounded Rectangle in Illustrator Effects

When using the Rounded Rectangle of Illustrator Effects, I hope that the upper and lower values ​​​​can be set separately, because when this effect is applied to text, the upper and lower heights are not even.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. fix the Layers palette; modernize it.

The layers Palette in Illustrator Predates most Design apps out there. Because of that, many of its behaviors are critically out dated and in great need of a top - bottom update.

some critical things to fix:
    1. Selection tracking should be unified. Selecting in the Layers palette should ALSO select the elements in the document. Throw away the confusing 2nd step there.

1. naming. make it more flexible. IE: add built in options for the renaming that occurs when you copy a Layer. Add the ability to rename selected layers with one text entry. Add to that, a simple Scripting…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add 16px and 20px to the font-size drop down

With base rem being 16px, 16px has become the standard for readable text on a website. It would be good UX to have more base 4 standard font-sizes in the font-size select drop down.

7px, 9px, 11px and 21px are essentially useless to me but they have a seat in the dropdown, you could easily replace/swap a couple of them out for 16px and 20px. I don't know many designers, printers, or developers that use odd pixel sized fonts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. make select all artwork on layer, selecting different layers, etc actionable things

I do a lot of repetitive artwork when designing things for laser cutters where I could really benefit from actions. I have a ton of them set up for photoshop which can turn a 5 minute process into a 5 second one because when you select a layer or part, photoshop writes that you selected "layer 0" or whatever the name is. Illustrator is not the same way. If I have 8 layers and they are all named 1 - 8 and I select artwork from layer 1, copy it, select layer 8, and paste in place I can do…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Replace objects with an object

example:
    I have created a circle with text in it, and grouped it all together, however I have a pattern of Circles, and only want some of the circles in the pattern to look like the one I have created and grouped, so I can click the ones I want to replace, and then with a tool, select the group I've created, and it will replace the ones I've selected. Not too sure if this feature exists, though it would be a beneficial tool to have.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended solution for this is to use Global Edit feature.

Copy the object you want to replace with, then select one of many copies you want to replace and use Select > Start Global Edit command.

Using Shift, unmark those copies you don’t want to affect.

Isolate the targeted copy.

Paste the copied object and position it correctly relatively the old object.

Delete the old object.

Exit the isolation and end Global Edit.

It may sound convoluted at first, but once you master the method, you’d be able to easily replace almost anything.

Global Edit has its limitations: it doesn’t work for images, text objects, clipped masks, linked objects, and third-party plugins.

Read more about it here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/global-edit.html

6. Allow to change default settings for 3D and Materials effect

Can we please change the default settings on 3D effect to not apply anything or allow us to change the default. It takes forever to load on every project just to open it up for a simple bevel to be applied. Many times my app just crashes just opening up the window just from applying whatever the default setting is doing to the text I selected. My computer is far beyond the specs that it says the program requires until I need to open this tool on anything.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Magic Grid

Hi!

I would like to have a new tool: a kind of semi-elastic placement aid. Our team designs packagings and often has to adapt layouts to new die cuts, so objects often have to be moved, but must not change in size themselves. Sometimes a logo exists in three different sizes, which must be chosen depending on the total height. In addition, they must adhere to minimum distances, which may also not be scaled. However, the design often follows a grid, e.g. a logo must be on the vertical at 5/13 of the total height. So I imagine a kind…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. please add extended wordcount

I need to count the number of words in a complicated diagram with a lot of text boxes.

Grant proposals require a maximum number of words and they also count the number of words in graphs and illustrations. So please just tell me how many words are in a document so I don't have to select and copy paste hundreds of words out of textboxes into a wordcounter (or Indesign). That would be great in the future. This is tw also not possible in Indesign because you need to select the text to get a count, whereas I need…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. FantasticFold - packaging design

Solution for packaging design layout as presented at Adobe MAX 2018 with the hashtag #FantasticFold.

Long time missed the workflow from the creation of the dieline to the artwork placement in the package in a way the is aligned when package is folded.....
    better that explaining a sort video explains the requested tool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-llAe4fsJ-A
    thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please restore "Lettering" in the Trace presets

I cannot match prior documents with the new advanced settings.
    I trace documents of text to be made into glass etchings and the previous "Lettering" preset in CS 5.5. Illustrator was perfect but the new sliders don't produce results as clean as previously.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The ability to add CSS code from the Generator to CC libraries

Hi there, I wanted to put in a feature request that would allow a designer to add CSS code from the generator to be added to CC libraries as a text file.

As a designer, I create elements for our dev team and they are able to take the CSS code I generate from my designs and integrate it into another product for web development. But it would be good to give them a CSS library folder where they can access the code for the designs. At the moment in my testing, it only creates a graphic of the text

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please make TABS easier to use.

Please make TABS easier to use. It's so fiddly trying to get the bottom arrow to pull across for indented bullet list alignment.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Smart Guides: prioritize artboards, respect logical hierarchy

This situation has been frustrating for many, many years:

• I'm zoomed out to a level that makes it tricky for AI to understand what I want Smart Guides to snap to.

• There are many elements in my doc that could be desired for that snapping, but they are a mix of paths, compound paths, placed media, and artboards. Many of these things are FAR away from the elements I'm trying to snap.

• AI either doesn't have any perceived hierarchy or it prioritizes snapping in an obscure way, and it will attempt to snap to those far away things instead of…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide ability to use polygon tool from the corner of the bounding box

Most shapes in Illustrator (e.g. the ellipse and rectangle tools) draw from the corner by default or from the centre when holding Option/Alt, but the polygon tool doesn't provide this option.

When using the polygon tool, holding the Option/Alt key should switch to dragging from the corner of the bounding box, which would make it much easier to draw a polygon of a specific height (allowing the user to lean on features like Smart Guides for alignment).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make it possible to actually open Cloud Docs....

The idea of cloud docs is wonderful, but the reality is intensely frustrating.

File created in the studio; a simple text logo. Retun home need to make a change. Impossible to open.

"Make file available offline" Done. Still impossible to open.

Identical version of Illustrator on both Macs. Multiple occurrences. It has happened in reverse too

Workaround > Store files on a disk. Transfer manually. (Not what Adobe want to hear!)

I should add that this a a regular problem on PS too, so a broader Creative Cloud, issue. Oh and the internet connection is Gigabit, so not a speed…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. transform again tool glitch

In Adobe Illustrator, I use the transform again tool a lot during my day to day and seemingly recently, it hasn’t been affecting live or outlined type* when it will affect any other regular object. Has anyone come across this on their own or know how to fix it? It will continue to transform the text if you scale up or down as well repeating moves but when scaling objects to certain sizes using the guides and then replicating the same growth on the text object doesn’t work.

I’ve tried ungrouping, releasing the compound path, tried intersecting the shapes, the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Is there an option to set single keys and function keys as hotkeys?

Is there an option to set single keys and function keys as hotkeys?

I'm used to another vector drawing program in conjunction with Illustrator and that program has some very easy to use hotkeys that are essential for shape alignments, like C for horizontal centering, E for vertical centering, B for bottom of a shape and T for top, etc. On Illustrator I can't set a single keyboard key as a hotkey for the alignment functions without the use of Ctrl or Shift before the key. That's just a no go for me.

And since I use F5…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Control panel like that of Indesign

I've always liked Indesign, especially its control panel top bar.

I was wondering but is it not possible to have a control bar in Illustrator like the one in Indesign?
    - bigger
    - With More controls
    - Dynamics
    - By inserting quick links to many features that Illustrator makes available to us but every time you have to go and get them from the menus / submenus and you never remember where to go.
    guy:
    - object / path / path path
    - object / path / offset
    - object / path / add points
    - object / weave
    -…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Automated/AI-powered file names in Asset Export

Asset Export needs more options to automate and/or use variables. Designers often need to export large groups of files (e.g. variations of a logo in multiple colours and sizes, with/without a claim or other element) which then have to be tediously and manually renamed and sorted to reflect things like size, color.
    It would be great if there were more option to automate the output by adding variables such as dimensions custom text fields, names of swatches used, etc This could even be an area where the use of AI might be useful to automatically detect the content and create…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base