Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

575 results found

1. Accessibility of tutorial videos, for users with hearing impairment

I am a new creative cloud user and need to use Illustrator as part of my university course so wanted to access the learn ‘how to’ tutorials, but found the video tutorials for Illustrator does not have ‘closed captions’ nor printable version of the text. I checked some of the other Adobe programs within creative cloud and they are the same, so I contacted Adobe online chat who sent me on to an online dedicated adviser. I was then told no accessibility options available for the tutorial videos.

Please could you pass my feedback to Adobe….

Accessibility on the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Set exact dimensions to one object in a group that affects the entire group.

Example: I have 3 squares. 2 large ones and one small one overlapping the two. (see picture)
    The task is to set the small red square to exactly 140 x 140 mm without losing the proportions in size or position to the blue or green box.

I want an exact scale up where the end result is that the red square is 140 mm x 140 mm.
    I can use rulers, but the small square doesn't snap since it isn't touching the bounding box. Using this I can eyeball it and get a result like 140.062 x 140.062 mm. I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Need Better (and Less-Hidden) Accessibility Tagging Options

Please make it much easier to add accessible alt-text to InDesign documents. There should be an accessibility panel and pre-check to make it very easy for designers.

As it is now, it's too hidden: https://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/indesign/alt-text.html

Posted in reference to my tweet, at the request of Adobe Support: https://twitter.com/exkclamation/status/1424788475698499585

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Type in stroke width value instead of pull down menu in Character styles

In Character Styles the stroke width only provides a pull down menu to choose from. It would be better if we could type in an exact value.
    The stroke width of texts needs to be very precise in my work, but the pull down menu is too limited to provide an accurate enough value. (The gaps between available options in the menu are too big.)

When I create a new character style by selecting text and adding a new style, the style contains the correct stroke width. But when I need to adjust the width afterwards I can only…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 'Load Paragraph styles' does not work as expected

In InDesign, if you 'Load Paragraph styles', any Paragraph styles with the same names get updated, and any text that has those paragraph styles applied change appearance.

In Illustrator, this doesn't happen. It ignores the imported styles as it already has styles of that name. There is no 'import options' to able to change this behaviour.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Font style not applying correctly

Using the character window.
    When trying to alter pre-typed text, changing using Font Family menu in character window works, but changing using Font Style menu does not (the window states that it has changed, but the preview does not show the change)

Operating System: Mac OS 11.4
    Illustrator Version: Beta - 25.5 360

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.0.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

7. Ai Feels Old and Unintuitive Next to New Adobe Products

Illustrator feels old. I find myself trying to do more and more vector work in XD or Photoshop simply because Ai feels like something from the 90s. There is very little consistency in how things work in Ai versus the other adobe apps. Swatches from CC are endlessly frustrating. Too many tools appear to do the same thing slightly differently. The app seems to assume everything will eventually be printed.
    I know this is very general, but perhaps a new vector creation tool is needed in the lineup. I've tried Draw and Sketch on the iPad but they also feel…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Image Trace Default black and white preset is grayscale after expanding

When you Image Trace, using the default black and white tracing preset and expand - the black and white are grayscale. When you double click the fill in the toolbar to choose a new color for the black or white, the resulting color is a shade of gray. Then, you have to go to the Color panel and change the sliders to a different color model to be able to see the color you chose. It would be easier if the black and white were aligned with the document color mode, RGB or CMYK instead. You don't encounter this…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Unify point tangent, angle\length\direction

Short rationales:
    Point Angle - I need a way to control the exact angle of point handles to unify them across a design. Currently the only way to control the angle is to constrain it to vertical, horizontal, or 45 degree angles.

Point Handle Length\Direction - If you grab a point handle and make it a different length or direction than the handle on the other side of a point, there is currently no way to re-unify them besides re-drawing the curve.
    There is also no also no way to scale handle length along the direction or angle you’ve already…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. make it easier to export

make it easier to export things...

1 - add convert text to outlines as a check box when exporting pdfs...

2 - add convert lines to outlines to shapes when exporting svg...

3 - have a check box to expand compound shapes when exporting svg

make it easier to cut copy and paste from figma to illustrator and vice versa.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. "Multiple Record Layout" data merge feature.

I love the "Multiple Record Layout" data merge feature in InDesign. However my merged documents are often opened in Illustrator by the end user to make changes. Currently my client wants a full vector file for laser cutting shapes with custom etched names. They do not translate well with strokes becoming their own object and lines of text disconnecting. The idea to data merge 200+ names in IN makes perfect sense, but in this case the client asked they be done in AI and each name and custom info needs to be brought in by hand manually one name at…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Remove units from input boxes

When editing a value in an input box, e.g. the width of an artboard, the unit (px) is still included in the box. This makes it harder to hit the right spot in the text with your mouse, and makes it more prone to error. It's especially annoying when performing arithmetic!

Trying to avoid this situation: "306 p+34x"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fonts do not displaying on Character panel

Select the text inside the illustrator and character panel is empty, never show any fonts be using. My computer didn't install the fonts but can display correctly in illustrator.
    When exported to PDF, can check the fonts is using Lora-Bold.

I'm really frustrated and worries, how to check incoming files if always having this issue.

Please help on this method.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Do not change the order of characters in the Glyphs panel

Problem Description:
    If I've highlighted a character, and choose a different variation of that character in the Glyphs panel, the newly chosen variation moves to the left of the glyphs, changing the order of all the glyphs. This is really annoying. If, instead of the order of the glyphs changing, the blue highlight just moved on to the selected glyph, that would be far less confusing.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Select a character in some text
    2. Open the Glyphs panel to see the variations of that character
    3. Select a different variation

Actual Result:
    The ordering of the variations…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Feedback on New Snap to Glyph(s) Functionality (Released)

New Glyph snapping feature is available in Beta now.

Snap to glyph(s) allows quick and precise alignment around contours of live text without the need of creating outlines or reference guides. You will see smart snapping guides for words and a line by default. You can also enable a single glyph mode by right-clicking on the targeted glyph.

We have tried to provide as many important smart guides as possible without cluttering the workspace. We would love to hear your candid feedback. Please provide your feedback on this thread. This will be actively monitored by the Illustrator team. If…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Shift + click on menu items (File, Edit, Object, etc) w/o closing menu after click

Whenever I use the menu items (File, Edit, Object, Text, Select, Effects, View, etc) sometimes you go into a submenu, and select one option, e.g:
    1. Go to View Menu
    2. Select Perspective Grid sub-menu
    3. Select Hide guides
    4. Go to View Menu (again)
    5. Select the Perspective Grid sub-menu (again)
    6. Find and click my option (eg. "Snap to guides")

Now if I could for example "shift+click" to keep the menus open after the click:
    1. Go to View Menu
    2. Select Perspective Grid sub-menu
    3. Shift+click "hide guides"
    4. Click "snap to grid" (without shift when…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The Ability to Compound by Color

Take an object or line of text that has been converted to outlines, put an offset path on it, make that new outline a different color than the original object. Now the requested feature would be the ability to drag select the entire object and offset path, then select "Compound By Color" and it will make all colors selected into their own compound path.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add a way for us to scale multiple fonts at the same time.

For example, I'm working on a document and I have a header, sub-headers, and paragraph text that are all different font sizes. I would like for there to be a way to incrementally, increase all fonts selected, no matter the selection.

Also, incrementally increasing/decreasing a group of fonts that are selected along with other layers should have no effect on other layers.

A prime example of where this feature would be useful is if I were designing a report or a table and I want to increase the font size in the header and line items without selecting each layer…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The ability to save a direct selection

Sometimes geometric transformations require a complex selection of certain vertices on one or more objects. Losing the selection because of a misclick is so common and frustrating... One should be able to save current selection to recall it if lost. This little buffer can be really very temporary, i.e. stop working if object topology has changed in the meantime. It would already prevent frustration on many occasions.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator allows to save, load and managed partial and full  selection with Select > Save / Edit Selection commands.

UI is archaic, but it does the thing you want.

Please leave any comments regarding this feature here.

As for having a selection operation as an undoable operation — there is a separate feature request for this you can vote for: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/34934953

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base