Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

575 results found

1. Rotate objects around an anchor point but each object stays in it's original orientation

See attached image to help make sense of my ramblings.

This may already be an option that I'm not aware of but I'd love the ability to rotate objects around a point but those objects NOT to be rotated but just repositioned. In the example I attached, I want to be able to rotate the outer orange circles around the centre point of the blue circle. When I do this, the circles and text rotate. This is a simple example but I think it's got potential on more complex things.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Make Smart Guides work consistently with Symbols

Precise work with Symbols is difficult/impossible because it's treated differently by Smart Guides than normal artwork.

• Anchor/Path Labels are not displayed on Symbol-ized artwork
    • It's not possible to grab Symbol-ized artwork by a path segment (only anchors) making precise alignment impossible
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Replace file with same name!

Exporting png or other format, save with exact name, select "replace file", does not replace file but makes NEW file with "artboard" or other additional text. PLEASE when we select "replace", REPLACE the same file with the same name. Have to manually rename over 20 files. We have files that are linked in Indesign and this causes lots of extra time and effort every time there is an edit. Clients have to pay more for extra time, something that should be simple causes a large ripple effect when every other application renames replacement files correctly. PLEASE FIX THIS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Illustrator 2020 performance significantly slow/sluggish -

Sorry, can't recommend upgrade of 2020 to my colleagues. I work for a large Engineering firm and we have powerful computers. We have critical deadlines for Q4-2019 - Upgrading to 2020 will be a big mistake as it will cause delay to our projects and stress to the members .
    Saving files takes too long, copying takes system long to process - pasting is fine. Adding text is ridiculously taking forever and it creates its own textbox size - It feels like going back to AI CS6.

Suggest to review what you had for AI 2019- this was one…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Full Window Crosshairs (always on option)

I would like to see an option for full window crosshairs/X&Y guides always intersecting at the cursor point. It is difficult to explain but I have attached a mock up image. This would act similar to the guides when dragging and aligning objects.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Mirrored Live Sketch

Like Procreate Symmetry tool so you can draw on a vertical half and have the mirrored side reflected as you draw. Essential for technical product design/apparel design sketches, where we usually draw in halves, then duplicate and mirror. Would expedite process and allow for changes that may be desirable, as one previews full proportions.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Easier access to typekit options

I noticed that the link to the external typekit web app is no longer in the type (character) tool box. I see how the whole mechanism to search is more integrated but its still harder to scroll through font weights, type custom sample text etc. I just think there could be a link to the external web app right there in the tool box still even with the updated integration so you have the option to search differently. I see that you can still get to that web app but it feel more clunky for my work flow than it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. File synchronization fails for ai files saved with CC 2018

I sync my files across several computers using Unison (an rsync command line tool). Since updating, .ai files will not synchronize. I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 and CC 2018 v 22.0.0 on the computers that I am syncing.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. make ai file. A4 RGB layout with one text item. Save.
    2. run Unison.
    3. synchronization fails with message that the ai file does not exist on the other computer because it could not be renamed from the tmp version of the ai file that unison pulls from the other computer.

Not sure if this is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Interaction in graphic styles, with several inputs

Graphic styles is only something you apply. I would like some interactions possibilities with the graphic styles, so that you for example could get an interactions panel that told you what kind of interactions you could do (insert photo/graphic/text etc). And that when you clicked on each possible interaction in the panel, then a pin, marked box or something would highlight in the graphic where the input would take place. Like many web images have, with hot spots. Would be one way to do it. The important thing is not how it is done, but that you get to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Simple little change: Remove tiny shadow behind new artboard

I've noticed this for years... whenever I create a new document in Illustrator--no matter the size or mode and without any bleed settings, the artboard has a tiny grey "drop shadow" behind the artboard. See ATTACHED. It does not affect art and never prints, but more times than I can count I've found myself zooming in and attempting to select/delete it, thinking I left some sort of unwanted element behind while I was working. Or I see the faint "border" and think my graphic elements aren't fully aligned to the page edge, when the actually are.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Save as dialog selects file name including extension

macOS 11.5.1 / Adobe Illustrator 25.3.1

[on macOS] when saving files only the filename is selecetd, not the extension. It used to be fine with Adobe apps until some versions back suddenly the whole file name including extension is selected in the Save as dialog.

Adding some text used to be easy. With a tap on the right arrow key the cursor moved between de file name and the extension. When I do this now the cursor is placed after the extension so I have to use the mouse or left arrow key to move the cursor 3-4 positions back.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add a setting for "Solid" in the leading field of the type panel

Illustrator defaults to "Auto" in regards to leading - about 120% of the point size of the type. When using display faces, I often find I set type a lot tighter - usually around the same leading as the point size. It would be really helpful if there were a setting for that in the type panel, so that as I change the point size of the type (say from 24 pts to 72 pts) the leading would also change automatically from 24 pts to 72 pts - just as it would from one size to another when the leading…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We can change the value Illustrator uses as 'auto' in Justification dialog, which you can access via the Paragraph panel’s menu. Change 'Auto Leading' to 100% to get what you want.

If you want this setting to be applied to all new text objects, you should open Paragraph Styled panel, and edit the [Normal Paragraph Style].

If you want this to be applied to every new document you make, you should learn about editing document profile files Illustrator uses as core templates. Just don’t forget to backup these.

13. Metadata on ASE

For me and many designers, color is an asset with information associated with it that I need to follow this asset as it moves from different design programs. With metadata attached to file, I would be able to utilize the features in InDesign and other programs to auto populate this information into text fields. Additionally if this metadata ASE file was a library shared between many users and the any of the tagged information on a color was changed, this update would shoot out to any documents using this color. It would reduce:
    -errors by relying on one source of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Eyedropper doesn't include the arrow heads on a line

If I have a line selected and I use the eyedropper on a different line with a stroke and arrow heads, it only copies the stroke not the arrow heads.

Please make it include the arrow heads.

Also, the most useful arrow head is number 27, it should be number 1 not number 27.

In fact, if there was a checkbox you could click in the stroke properties window that automatically changed a line to a measurement label so it put an arrowhead 27 on each end, changed the stroke to like 4pt yellow, and a text box half way…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. On fixing the hierarchy of layers

On fixing the hierarchy of layers.

In data with a large number of layers, such as a map, the vertical relationship and stacking order of objects is very important. We are very careful not to make mistakes, but there are times when our hands slip and we end up moving them.
    At the moment we can lock objects, but we can always manipulate the vertical relationship of objects.
    If there is a lot of demand for the ability to lock the vertical relationship other than mine, I would like to see improvements.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Some way to control the mesh density of generated 3D objects?

I'm using Illustrator to turn some 2D drawings into 3D objects which I export as OBJ/GLTF to other software. The process is really quick and simple, and produces very smooth and clean mesh objects, however... I'm having trouble with the total lack of control over the geometry density/resolution of the generated 3D model.
    I've experimented with increasing the number of anchor points and size of the drawing to see if I would get a 3D model made of more polygons and vertices, but had no success.
    It would be amazing if there was a proper way to control the generated…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Set application default Type and Paragraph menu options

I have Middle East/English installed b/c occasionally I need to do a ME translation and it is pointless to have to uninstall/reinstall each time. I would like the ability to set the application default for the following so that when you set up a new document, it defaults to the things you wanted. You can currently do this with tools, but not with the actual menus.

Type Menu:
    Font
    Lanugage
    Digits

Paragraph Menu:
    Alignment
    Paragraph Direction
    Composer type (e.g. Adobe Single Line composer)
    Type direction

You can do this in InDesign but not in Illustrator. Not sure why, but…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Asset Export Incorrectly Clipping

If you create a filled rounded rectangle with a 1 pt border, add it to the Asset Export panel and export, the end result is noticeably clipped. Even though the shape may be aligned to be pixel perfect and the stroke aligned so that it should be inside, the output shows the frame is now non uniform in terms of stroke width.

If you didn't use stroke, you probably won't notice the inaccuracy.

See the attached image and the edges are clearly truncated.

Says there are some fundamental alignment issues that need to be addressed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Missing languages from character panel for automation

I need to automate the language parameter from the Character panel on Illustrator. It is already available for most languages but it looks like the recent languages that have been added in Illustrator are not available for automation. We need to set this up to have the correct hyphenation in the text frames. For example, if we activate the hyphenation for illustrator files that contains Thai strings, it won’t hyphenate the strings correctly until we set the language.

The list available for automation can be found from the Illustrator scripting library on macOS (it contains everything we can use for…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Alternative 'Object width/height' and gap options under Effect > Transform > Move

A couple of checkboxes in that panel for the dynamic size of the object could be handy. A gap value would also be great for the static gaps around multiplied objects. I've experienced 2 similar cases where that option could save me time:

1) Create an object and use 'Effect > Transform' panel to create copies, giving a horizontal or vertical move value. Then edit the object and change its bounding box. They either overlap or the gap between them widens.

2) Create the left half of a graphic you want dynamically be mirrored onto the right side. To use…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base