Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or
  1. Convert a Gradient Mesh to a path

If you are able to easily make a gradient mesh using a gradient mesh tool, I would think it would be equally easy to unmake a gradient mesh back into a standard closed path instead of having to use Object > Offset Path and remove all values.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Meshes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow adding Patterns and Gradient swatches to Color Groups

Expanding on the existing request for gradient swatch support in color groups... We need groups that support all swatch types. I understand the purpose of Color Groups but the intuitive way to use these folders is as a generic "Swatch Group", without limitation to swatch type in order that we can organize assets appropriately within a project.

My suggestion is either to allow gradient and pattern swatches to be added to a Color Groups or add a new super group type that can contain any swatch type and color groups as well.

Groups would be organized in rows: color, gradient

98 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Gradient annotator as a palette and snap to gradient points

Allows you to then retain the annotator when dragging guides or other objects, and using other tools. Could work in a similar way to the Tabs palette.

Also it would be really useful if you could snap objects or guides to the gradient points on the sliders.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Gradient Color Stop

Hi

if add a keyboard shortcut to the gradient slider to switch color stops instead of mouse clicks will increase the workflow

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. alt click swatches to add colors to a selected gradient

With a gradient object selected, it would be much quicker to alt click swatches from the swatch panel to add to current selection

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make the freeform Gradient tool more efficient

I had an issue with the freeform gradient tool.
    the color it not stopping at the edge.
    As image attached
    few personnes even from Adobe could'nt help!

Thank you !

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow gradients in brushes

AI forbids to use gradients in brushes. It definitely should.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Angle Gradient

Angle Gradient is missing since begging, I know that can be made through the Mesh Tool, but it is not very easy for everyone to make it, there are also other ways to make it but its very difficult. I wrote many basic, essential, and missing features for Illustrator in 2011 in Features Forum web but Adobe has added a few of them, it is very important that every software needs to be filled with basic and essential features, if those are missing then software could not be the best then the rest.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Need options to make a gradient from colors of selected shapes/objects

Hi,
    Sometimes i feel handicapped while working with gradients.
    It feels like that Illustrator is holding my leg when working with gradients.

I have two requests regarding gradients.

1. I want Illustrator to help make a gradients from the colors of selected shapes or objects. (Since the option is not available so, I have to select colors from swatches individually and put them on gradient bar to make a gradients.

2. Gradient does not show when it is being applied on live text (not outlined text), making it difficult to see the current gradient direction and placement…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add a swatch from a color inside a gradient in Adobe Illustrator

When you are working in a gradient, you may customize your colors inside. However, there's no way to add this new color as a swatch - or even to be given a HEX code. Let's make this more functional!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. enable selecting and moving multiple colors on gradient slider

enable selecting and moving more than one color on gradient slider

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Eyedropper tool to have option to pick gradient settings

If you have a gradient set up with custom rotation and you want to pick it to another object with eyedroper tool, the rotation doesn't transfer.

It would save time not having to type it again.

Maybe add some other options as well to have more control.

It should be an option at the eyedropper tool properties. (See image)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Increase size of Gradient stops boxes (too small for older eyes)

Ideally the gradient stop boxes would be a little larger. When working with many gradients, it's time consuming trying to hit that little box to change a color. I'm aging, so my bad, but even slightly larger would be wonderful.

Thank you,
    Lori

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow gradient swatches to be added to CC library

It's great to have colors in the cc library but why can't those colors be gradients too? Please allow us to add gradient swatches to the cc library. Thanks

635 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  114 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Illustrator forgets which color mode is set in the Color palette (and Gradient)

Color panel always starts with RGB values. That's useless or very hard to use 99% of the time. So first thing for me is to set my Color panel to HSB and it stays like that for that session, but after a restart it's RGB again. Always!
    Gradient panel is even worse because it forgets instantly.
    Standard gradient's pop up color select is a Grayscale slider. I've never in my life needed that - not to mention HSB has the same with the value slider. But this bothers me less than what follows:
    If I change Grayscale to HSB…

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to precisely control the center of a radial gradient, its hilite angle/length

Add more options to the Gradient tool, especially the radial gradient option. The ability to move the center of the radial gradient would be very useful for cartographers making maps and having the ability to show spheres (3-D circular objects) with a source of light northwest (or any other angle) of the circular object. The attached file should better explain the desired outcome. Your competitors (CorelDraw and Canvas) have had that feature for years, yet Illustrator is more often used for making maps than the other software packages.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  Yogesh Sharma responded

Hi Kazimierz,

You can modify the center of the radial gradient. Just choose the Gradient tool (G) with the objects selected (and gradient applied). Drag it across the shape. The start point comes the center of the gradient.

Does that work for you?

-Yogesh

17. Illustrator 2019 Freeform Gradient and compound paths not quite right

When applying a freeform grad to a compound path, the effect struggles to jump a gap between paths, leaving odd results. If you create a path with a "hole" in the middle and create grad its OK. Move the whole fully out of the enclosing shape and its blank, move back into to cross border line and it works correctly with overlap creating hole.

In the attached file, the four squares are a compound path. Top right shows standard linear gradient covering the whole shape. The top left fort squares are supposed to share a freeform grad copied from the…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Convert gradient properly on SVG instead of rasterizing when saving file as SVG Tiny 1.2

Currently, when you try to save an SVG containing gradients with SVG 1.2 Tiny profile, Illustrator rasterizes the gradient and embeds the rasterized image instead of properly converting it as a pure vector information. This reduces the qualify of the saved image a lot and it's no longer scalable with even further quality reduction.

SVG 1.2 Tiny specification supports gradients and so it would be really helpful if Illustrator kept the vector information from gradient. This is also necessary for BIMI logos (https://bimigroup.org/) as it doesn't support images/links in the SVG.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow to select several gradient sliders

Sometimes I need to move several sliders in gradients at once.
    I have to select them one by one and move each at distance I need.
    I'd like to select several sliders and move them simultaneously.
    Of course, they should be very clearly marked as selected, or this would confuse, if you forget to unselect them and then try to edit color for one.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow adjustments to the path curves of a Freeform gradient line, please.

Please allow adjustments to the path curves of a Freeform gradient line, like handles.

Right now all that is allowed, is to add more points along the path, and the ability to move those points around, and the path/curves move automatically based up the shape of the object.

Please add selection point handles, so we can edit and adjust the curves of the line.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base