Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or
  1. Gradient “easing” / bezier curve control for color stops

Any work that utilizes gradients in Illustrator would benefit greatly from the addition of the ability to manually control/adjust the bezier curves of the gradients’ color stops.

The specifics of how this works are discussed here: https://larsenwork.com/easing-gradients/

Ultimately, this level of control allows for significantly more pleasing and subtle gradients. Relying on midpoints to adjust gradients ultimately results in very obviously visual “steps” from one color stop to the next.

I’ve attached a video demonstrating the easing function, as well as a before and after image to illustrate its effect.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow to set a color for a gradient stop using Color Picker

Picking colors or changing colors in Illustrator has always been a pain compared to Photoshop and I'm not sure why. When I want to choose a color for a gradient or in the color panel in general, why can I not open the color picker and move the slider around on the big square to actively change colors and see the colors change in real time? This frustration often makes me want to switch from using Adobe products.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. On the free form gradient tool can you allow each circle to be smaller for more detailed illustrations?

This free form gradient tool is my favorite update of all time. But I'd like to be able to have more detail and control. The circles are too big to allow for this and it really limits the tool.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Gradient Eye Dropper click and drag to analyze the colors under the length of a vector

if i drag my cursor across an image the illustrator program should be able to make an assessment of the various properties of color under the path that was drawn.

this could easily be turned into a pallet with relational distance parameters and a cool gradient tool with a number of samples resolution feature to adjust the density of changes across the gradient would be very welcome in our illustrator tool set.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Warp Effects to distort linear gradient

When you turn on distorting linear gradients (Object > Envelope Distort > Envelope options: Distort Linear Gradients Fill), AI still won't do it when you use Warp Effects (Effect > Warp). This should be fixed.

I'd even extend this option to treat other gradients types, not only linear.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Meshes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 16 bit mode for Illustrator

When creating Illustrations with gradients, we can only use 8bits. When imported in Photoshop or After Effects 16bits projects, the gradients stick to this poor 8bits - resulting in banding.

Especially when working on normal/displacement maps for 3d materials, 8bits is not enough.

How great would it be if Illustrator had a possibility to switch to 16 or 32 bit mode!

46 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Edit shapes that have gradients but not change the gradient.

I have customers that do not give enough bleed and their artwork ends. Normally I would just change the shape to where I need the bleed to be. However, most of my customers use gradients in their shapes. If I change the shape of these objects, it changes the gradients. So I end up having to mirror the shape on all sides and place a mask over it.

It would be a lot easier and time saving if I can edit shapes that have gradients but have the gradients stay the way the are.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Freeform gradient live update option

While live update is a nice thing to have (we still wait until you make all draggable art live updated), it's still not very fast.
    Please make an option to turn off live update for freeform gradients, so a fill would update only when you release fill points.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please bring back the slider for the gradient angle adjustment!!!

There used to be a slider for the angle adjustment of gradients. It was great because I didn't have to know the angle or the direction in numbers, (which designers are notoriously bad at, by the way) I could freely adjust the angle based on how it looked. The way it is now, with a textbook and a dropdown menu, is so much more work and SO FRUSTRATING. I don't want to have to type in increments and figure out if I need to make it a negative angle.
    PLEASE GIVE ME THE SLIDER BACK!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you!
    Maia

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Freeform gradients to grayscale

It would be awesome if we could convert freeform gradients to grayscale just like with a normal gradient.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Clean gradient distribution between spot and CMYK colors

Allow clean gradients between spot and CMYK colours. For the moment, it looks greyish between the 2 selected colours.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Rasterize effect of bitmap is too simple

Please add some other algorithm in rasterize effect of bitmap.
    in Photoshop we have pattern dither, Diffusion dither, halftone screen, custom pattern Or in Corel Photo Paint we have line art, Ordered , Jarvis, Stuki , floyd-steinberg, halfton, cardinality distribution But in illustrater we have only one algorithm.
    also please able us to choose color of rastered pixels. it is very important because some times graphists add this effect to gradient or mesh gradient but they like another color instead of black color and transparent instead of white

251 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Keep color values when applying freeform gradients

When applying a freeform gradient, Illustrator picks up colors from everywhere around the selected artwork, also the selected object itself. It would be extremely helpful if it could reliably keep the exact color values the object has, so you don't need to adjust it.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make Illustrator opacity masks work like masks do in Photoshop

For opacity masks, 100% White should represent a 100% absence of masking and 100% Black should represent 100% masking (like in Photoshop).

The current system in Illustrator seems very unintuitive and flawed – a basic white to black gradient does not even totally obscure an image/object at one end of the gradient.

It shouldn't be the case that you then have further reduce the opacity of the gradient colours to achieve a standard gradient effect.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects, Appearance, Graphic Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Soft selection (Selection drop off)

This already exists in many 3D applications (Maya, 3D Max, and C4d, for sure) and it's often treated, not as a separate tool, but as a setting in the regular selection tools. The idea is that you can set an gradient influence area where the points directly selected are affected 100% by transform changes, while everything else is affected by the changes but adjusted to the alpha percentage of the gradient at that point's initial location. I know that sounds like a mouthful, but it's very similar to how the mesh warp works (minus the having to convert anything and…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Unify Fill tool + gradient tool under properties(appearance)

Now we have 3 "ways" or windows to pick color from which is confusing. Unify everything under same roof like in other design apps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I have found effects and transparency to be problematic

I have found effects and transparency to be problematic in the past for print, and svg unless you convert the graphic to raster. Which then defeats the benefits of vector.

What if you had a feature that could take the colors used in the effect or transparency and convert that to a basic gradient. "convert effect to gradient" or "convert transparency to gradient"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Put eyedroppers on every color selection menu.

I keep getting the request from my students that they want to use colors from their existing project. In color, color guide, color themes, gradient color menu, there's no good way to grab a specific color from the art boards. Putting eyedroppers on ALL the color sub menus would make it so convenient to grab the color of someones eye, various colors in existing blends. For example, if a student wanted to make a gradient of two different colors from her eye, she could not do so simply. Currently the eyedropper only appears to hover over a one inch rgb…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base