When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 16 bit mode for Illustrator

When creating Illustrations with gradients, we can only use 8bits. When imported in Photoshop or After Effects 16bits projects, the gradients stick to this poor 8bits - resulting in banding.

Especially when working on normal/displacement maps for 3d materials, 8bits is not enough.

How great would it be if Illustrator had a possibility to switch to 16 or 32 bit mode!

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Polygon center points

Please enable the option to use the geometrically correct centerpoint as the intersection of the edge-normals for odd-edged polygons instead of using the "half the height, half the width"-centerpoint, or at least enable it as an option. Drawing the circumference-circle really is annoying.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. where is the inner shadow effect?

Photoshop has it, InDesign has it, even Sketch has it. It's such a fundamental feature. Of course we can use some techniques to simulate the effect, but why Illustrator lacks the most basic function?

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Rotation center point remains with objects and groups, and is used when rotating an object using the bounding box controls.

I want to be able to permanently edit (and reset) an object's (or group's) rotation axis (centre point). I want the new rotation axis to apply for subsequent rotation transformations, for example when using the bounding box controls.

Currently, the rotation tool (r) allows you to pick up and move an object's centre, and then rotate the object around that point. Great, except that point disappears as soon as you exit the rotation tool, which isn't very helpful.

I'm told Corel Draw had something like this... I can't overstate how much power and efficiency it would add to my workflow.…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Percentage rulers

Photoshop has Percentage as a unit for its ruler, and I find it very useful when one needs to center an element, or drag a guide in the middle or the third of the image, especially as one can stick to the ruler marks.

I always wondered why Illustrator did not have that functionality.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Keyboard shortcuts for Bold and Italic text

It would be useful if, while typing/editing text, there was a keyboard shortcut to add BOLD or ITALICS - highlight the word, hit CTRL + B to bold, for example.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Script for Data Merge from excel into Illustrator

I am looking for a way to import excel data into specific layers in Adobe Illustrator CC 2017.

Essentially to have the excel data tables to link to different artboards and be able to be updated each time the file is opened or as needed. Assuming this would be some kind of script so one could just run the script again or a data merge process (similar to what is available in indesign.

Thanks in advance!

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  SDK and Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Convert outline text to editable text

I work with a lot of files that come to me with outline text, which I then have to retype from scratch. It would be a really useful feature if outline text could be converted to editable text - could there be some kind of auto-recognition (OCR) of the outline text and generate editable text from this? Built-in OCR?

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2018CC version Preferences - Units go back to "points"

Preferences Units go back to "points" even after I change it to "millimetres" on 2018CC version. I go to Units (no document open) and change from default POINTS to "mm". When I open a new document it is reading POINTS again!

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Minus Front on Grouped Objects

Allow for the pathfinder to operate on groups of objects as if the group were one object. Possibly its own pathfinder function. If I am working with a group it is understood that I want to work with those items as one object. However, when using the pathfinder to minus front, and the object below is part of a group it just deletes the entire group along with the portion of the top object that I wanted to get rid of. When would that be useful? This will also be posted as a bug, because that is how I view…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Reduce more memory used and improve whole application performance speed.

Improvement of whole application performance speed.
    Reduce the amount of memory used. (But keep a nimble performance)
    User thinks that performance improvement is the most important, but please do not correct it so that it will improve by using a lot of memory.

Reasons :
    Recently, memory management has improved, but application crashes due to illegal memory access still occur.
    If the operation speed is slow, I think that work efficiency will be the most degraded.
    Reduction in time to start up and performance greatly affect all work.
    Not all users are using the new and high spec machines.
    Although…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Smart Guides

Can you guys PLEASE make 'Smart Guides' better? For example, I work with product UI/Graphics and I'm always having to zoom in 1400% to clearly align and place objects on top of other objects, but the snapping is NOT GOOD AT ALL... Can you guys make things snap to each other like other programs are able to do so like CAD programs etc...

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Get rid of Adobe Stock

I am really really sick of having Adobe Stock rammed down my throat. I don't want it, never will. Give me the option to turn it off!

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Mixed Ink Swatch like Indesign.

Please add the Mixed Ink swatch like Indesign. This would simplify building files with varnish, white ink, and bump plates.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Select inside marquee window

Create a toggle-able feature like the one found in many CAD programs:
    Select ONLY the objects ENTIRELY inside the selection window marquee via the following methods:
    1. hold Shift+drag
    2. Dragging left-to-right enables "select inside", dragging right-to-left enables "select touching" (as per most CAD programs)

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Creative Cloud Files appear in Library Panel in Illustrator

Currently folders and files in the Creative Cloud Files folder are local and synchronise with the cloud. They are visible on the website but are separate from Creative Cloud Libraries that we use inside Illustrator. It’s tantalisingly close to being an awesome feature, yet…

Please join them up! Make creative cloud files visible in the libraries panel in Illustrator, and vice versa; and make the libraries available locally.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  3 comments  ·  Creative Cloud Libraries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. New artboard default to spacing set in Rearrange artboard panel

It would be useful if when you create a new artboard that the spacing between it and the previous one reflects the spacing you have defined in the 're-arrange artboards' panel.

Currently it defaults to something around 7/8mm which is annoying when you have artwork that spills over, as moving the artboard drags the artwork with it. I know you can turn that feature off, but the spacing defaulting to what you've already defined would still be very useful.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Align Stroke to one side of path

The feature which allows you to align stroke to inside or outside of a path for closed shapes is fantastic and gives a great deal of dynamic help. Currently, the only way to align a stroked path and another shape is inaccurately with only visual cues or expand the stroked path and lose editability.

I don't know if it has been suggested but a feature which allowed you to preserve a non destructive workflow and interact with shapes more easily is very much within reach. Simply create an equivalent for the align stroke to inside or outside of path for…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. ios 11 Screenshots distorted

Screenshots made in iOS 11 are distorted when open or used in AI. Distortion persists during export to pdf.

AI 21.1.0
    macOS 10.12.6
    MacBook Pro 2017

All other tested Image Softwares displayed the screenshot correctly (Photoshop CC, Preview, Chrome, Safari)

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Unembed multiple images all at once

Be able to select multiple linked images in links palette and unembed them simultaneously.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base