When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Mixed Ink Swatch like Indesign.

Please add the Mixed Ink swatch like Indesign. This would simplify building files with varnish, white ink, and bump plates.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. where is the inner shadow effect?

Photoshop has it, InDesign has it, even Sketch has it. It's such a fundamental feature. Of course we can use some techniques to simulate the effect, but why Illustrator lacks the most basic function?

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Relative paths for linked assets

An option to use relative paths for linked assets. Because links use absolute paths, simply moving the folder your artwork is in will break the links unless the links are in the same folder. For example:

c:\artwork\project-1234\layout.ai
    c:\artwork\project-1234\assets\logo.jpg
    c:\artwork\standard-title-block.ai

If logo.jpg and standard-title-block.ai are both linked to inside of layout.ai, renaming the project folder will break the links. Moving the project folder will break the links.

Instead of storing the link paths absolutely, store them relatively. This way at least renaming the folder will preserve both links and moving the folder will only break links that point to file outside…

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 16 bit mode for Illustrator

When creating Illustrations with gradients, we can only use 8bits. When imported in Photoshop or After Effects 16bits projects, the gradients stick to this poor 8bits - resulting in banding.

Especially when working on normal/displacement maps for 3d materials, 8bits is not enough.

How great would it be if Illustrator had a possibility to switch to 16 or 32 bit mode!

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Minus Front on Grouped Objects

Allow for the pathfinder to operate on groups of objects as if the group were one object. Possibly its own pathfinder function. If I am working with a group it is understood that I want to work with those items as one object. However, when using the pathfinder to minus front, and the object below is part of a group it just deletes the entire group along with the portion of the top object that I wanted to get rid of. When would that be useful? This will also be posted as a bug, because that is how I view…

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2018CC version Preferences - Units go back to "points"

Preferences Units go back to "points" even after I change it to "millimetres" on 2018CC version. I go to Units (no document open) and change from default POINTS to "mm". When I open a new document it is reading POINTS again!

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. ios 11 Screenshots distorted

Screenshots made in iOS 11 are distorted when open or used in AI. Distortion persists during export to pdf.

AI 21.1.0
    macOS 10.12.6
    MacBook Pro 2017

All other tested Image Softwares displayed the screenshot correctly (Photoshop CC, Preview, Chrome, Safari)

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Unembed multiple images all at once

Be able to select multiple linked images in links palette and unembed them simultaneously.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Stop truncating filenames in Recent files

AI truncates names of my files in Open Recent Files menu.
    Why?!
    Some of my files differ only in that truncated parts. I have to guess and remember.
    Please, give me an option to set limit myself (in Prefs file or Dialogue) or remove limit completely.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Align Stroke to one side of path

The feature which allows you to align stroke to inside or outside of a path for closed shapes is fantastic and gives a great deal of dynamic help. Currently, the only way to align a stroked path and another shape is inaccurately with only visual cues or expand the stroked path and lose editability.

I don't know if it has been suggested but a feature which allowed you to preserve a non destructive workflow and interact with shapes more easily is very much within reach. Simply create an equivalent for the align stroke to inside or outside of path for…

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Smart Guides

Can you guys PLEASE make 'Smart Guides' better? For example, I work with product UI/Graphics and I'm always having to zoom in 1400% to clearly align and place objects on top of other objects, but the snapping is NOT GOOD AT ALL... Can you guys make things snap to each other like other programs are able to do so like CAD programs etc...

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Keyboard shortcuts for Bold and Italic text

It would be useful if, while typing/editing text, there was a keyboard shortcut to add BOLD or ITALICS - highlight the word, hit CTRL + B to bold, for example.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Full Alignment Center Option

Instead of having two tools (Horizontal and Vertical Align Center), can we get a tool that does both in one called something like Fully Align Center. I've included an image of what the tool might look like.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Convert outline text to editable text

I work with a lot of files that come to me with outline text, which I then have to retype from scratch. It would be a really useful feature if outline text could be converted to editable text - could there be some kind of auto-recognition (OCR) of the outline text and generate editable text from this? Built-in OCR?

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Preview Checkbox defaults to On rather than Off

I'm not sure if there is a reason for this, but for the 12 years I've been using Illustrator, the effects checkbox always defaults to "Off" and every time I make an edit to an effect, I have to switch it to "On". It never remembers my setting and there is no way to make it default to On. Either would be acceptable.

Many thanks for everything.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Everyone,

All the effect checkboxes have now been set to ON by default, and are sticky (meaning that if you disable preview, on next launch of Illustrator preview will remain disabled). This functionality now is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

What’s new in 24.1: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback.

16. Polygon center points

Please enable the option to use the geometrically correct centerpoint as the intersection of the edge-normals for odd-edged polygons instead of using the "half the height, half the width"-centerpoint, or at least enable it as an option. Drawing the circumference-circle really is annoying.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Save and sync Keyboard shortcuts in the cloud

I've been waiting for this feature for quite some time.

I was hoping it would be there when CC first came out, and it's still missing. Will there be such a feature anytime soon?

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Show HEX value in swatch panel

I often need to copy HEX values from illustrator swatches into other applications. My workflow would be accelerated if there was a text field showing the HEX value like in the color picker window.

Right now I need to apply the swatch to an object and copy the HEX value from the color picker window.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Reduce more memory used and improve whole application performance speed.

Improvement of whole application performance speed.
    Reduce the amount of memory used. (But keep a nimble performance)
    User thinks that performance improvement is the most important, but please do not correct it so that it will improve by using a lot of memory.

Reasons :
    Recently, memory management has improved, but application crashes due to illegal memory access still occur.
    If the operation speed is slow, I think that work efficiency will be the most degraded.
    Reduction in time to start up and performance greatly affect all work.
    Not all users are using the new and high spec machines.
    Although…

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Margins!

I would love a margin option! I always use rulers to set up margins but it'd be great to have margins in the document setup settings.

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base