Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

135 results found

1. Option to replace RGB sliders with HSB everywhere - all swatches and all color pickers.

We need ability to universally use HSB instead of RBG. I want the ability to fully replace RGB input and sliders with HSB everywhere in AI. I never want to look at RGB sliders ever again.
    This request is all over the forum in different phrasings/forms but unfortunately that has divided the votes leading to lower ranking.

Here is the same request with 87 votes oddly worded as "Illustrator forgets which color mode is set in the Color palette (and Gradient)"
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests?filter=top&query=Option%20to%20replace%20RGB%20sliders%20with%20HSB%20everywhere%20-%20all%20swatches%20and%20all%20color%20pickers.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Eyedropper needs to sample the flattened color, not the object that I click on

Many many times, when I use the eyedropper, I wish that it was sample the actual color of what I am seeing on the screen, rather than whatever the top object is that I have clicked on. For example I might have a number of layers of transparency, or I might want to click a particular value in a gradient, but the result only gives me the color of the object that I clicked on. Is there a way that you could hold down a modifier key and the eyedropper would instead select the color of the displayed pixel…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Incorporate a shortcut inside gradient's panel

I would like to suggest to incorporate the shortcut D for "reset" the 2 initial colors inside the gradient's panel to system standard colors (black and white). I usually use as a last step before finishing my artworks some shadows for a more realistic depth/aspect using black-to-white together with multiply. The D shortcut reset the main stroke and fill colors main swatches, so it would be a little bit faster if the software understands the D as this way while it's working on gradient's setup windows.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. No ability to add Hex code in Swatch colours

I don't understand why this has not yet been implemented in the 30 years Illustrator is active. What could've taken me 2 minutes to do, took me 10 minutes, and had to go the long way around of opening Colour Options, try to memorise the RGB values, and then go back into Swatch Options, and then add in the values.

Please can you add the Hex Code field in the Swatch Colour options, so that we can just paste the code to get the RGB values? And also let those updated swatches automatically update the gradients that are applied…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Eyedropper shortcut

If I have a box with a gradient stroke (as an example) and I want to then fill it, if I use the eyedropper to grab the color from another object, it overrides and deletes the stoke. I would like to be able to use the eyedropper on fill or stroke without deleting it's counterpart. Right now it's a long process of clicking off my shape, eyedropping the color, copying the color value, reselecting the object, double clicking the fill or stroke, and pasting in the value. It adds up to a lot of time lost for something that should…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To make Eyedropper pick and apply only fill, without modifying the stroke, you need to open the tool’s options, and uncheck the ‘Focal Stroke’ option in the left column. This will force Illustrator to ignore the stroke from the source object, and your target object will keep its original stroke.

Use other options there to fine tune the tool to your needs.

There is a similar resolved request that is about the same thing — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/38241262

6. Be able to create a finished vector repeat tile from Pattern Editing Mode.

Currently, the only way for a designer to get a final tile from a repeat pattern created in pattern mode is a clunky workaround involving dragging the fill swatch art from the swatches panel to the artboard and then working with the bounding shape to create a cropped, repeatable tile for export. We need a button to click inside pattern mode that creates a tile from the artwork inside pattern mode that is perfectly cropped (could be a clipping mask) but will retain all the live content that typically gets expanded when you exit pattern mode. This option should allow…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. More vector brushes

Have more brushes! (like a tapered brush), allow to add, export, and make custom brushes.
    Easily delete overlapping lines like in CSP.
    Include patterns like half tones for comics we can drag and drop inside shapes.
    Allow gradients and patterns to be applied to the stroke.
    We can choose which part of the stroke to change the width instead of all of it.
    Have an option to do an even width change or freehand.
    Be able to fill color within the visible strokes/lines instead of shapes.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Improve compatibility of object's features between Illustrator and InDesign

It's about 80% easy to share an object such as a logo or ad design or similar between the two packages, which is facilitated by the programs sharing an overlapping feature set.

With some features, such as gradients (InDesign to Illustrator) and type (Illustrator to InDesign) there are serious problems and the feature either doesn't travel across or is corrupted in the process. These problems mean that some parts of your project will easily copy and paste (or travel via PDF export) yet others fail.

It's not uncommon to use Illustrator as a publishing software for web assets and…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Sticky swatches, patterns, gradients, brushes and symbols.

I get so very tired of having to re-create what I've made or added earlier, or find the original file that contains things I've created earlier. It's starting from zero every time I open a new file.

It would be so nice to have things I added to panels be there for the next file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are several options to make resources sticky.

1. Save your swatches/brushes/etc. library as user defined one on a disk, using the dedicated panel’s menu. Open each then from same menu in User Defined sub-folder. When the separate palette appears, mark is as Persistent in this panel’s menu, This will make these palettes stick after Illustrator relaunches.

2. You can locate document profiles (Print.ai, Web.ai, etc.) on your machine (in New Document Profiles folder), edit their predefined presets, and resave them. This will make every new document based on these profile to have your resources.

3. Save a current document with the resources as a template, and later call them File > New from template. This will fixate the artboards settings though, unlike method 2.

But be careful with methods, because Ai can reset document profiles when updates.

10. Add Find/Replace Color feature from InDesign

I would love to use the Find/Replace feature for color just as it is now used in InDesign. Changing a color that isn't global is tedious when you have many fills, strokes, patterns and gradients using the same swatch. Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Batch Import Swatches

How about the ability to batch import swatches or gradients using csv or xml files? It would make it significantly easier to import colours from sources like ColorBrewer or matplotlib.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Separations Preview should show colour values

The Separations Preview panel doesn't show the colour values of each colour channel at the cursor location. This makes checking the total values of overprinted spot colours or taking colour-value readings from inside gradients impossible. As such, it's only half useful. If it works in InDesign, the expectation is that it works in Illustrator.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Contextual Eyedropper Tool

Currently, the Eyedropper Tool is an underutilized and often counter-intuitive tool that needlessly increases the complexity of a workflow because of its limitations. This- combined with Illustrator's poor color tools- often adds unnecessary time and effort to what should and could be more simplified tasks.

For example, a common situation is that I have a shape with a fill color that I like, and I want another shape that has a stroke to also use that color, except only for the stroke. Currently, if I use the eyedropper tool on the filled shape, it will completely remove the stroke and…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    The solution to that would be to activate a stroke if you want to apply a color to it, then to hold Shift when clicking a color — does not matter where this color is on a stroke or a fill. Illustrator then applies the picked color to the active fill/stroke, ignoring the source nature. There are two things to know — the cursor does not inform you about this mode (unlike the Alt-mode, should be addressed), and if you pick a color from a swatch — you’d get a screen representation of the color... harmless for RGB documents (if your color settings are in order), but crucial for CMYK documents (should be addressed too). Pleas comment back.
  14. SVG scalable vector export option for use in Microsoft applications

Please include an .svg format without code or mobile device use that will hold clipping, gradients, etc. to use as scalable vector artwork to be placed in MSO applications. This was not an issue in previous versions of Illustrator.

I provide scalable vector artwork from my projects for my clients who work in Microsoft applications by placing "Picture from File" in a PowerPoint Catalog.

When exporting, I get an error message: "Clipping will be lost on roundtrip to Tiny" when opening them back up and the artwork is distorted.

I got better results with "Save a copy" however, I…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. File transfer time via CC too long !!

The process to synchronize files on the Creative Cloud is not practical for small bandwidths.

It is painful to sometimes wait several hours for file synchronization on the CC

I would like to choose among several files the one that I would like to synchronize in priority.

Transfert de fichiers via CC trop long !!

Le processus pour syncroniser les fichiers sur le Créative cloud n'est pas pratique pour les petites bandes passantes.

C'est pénible d'attendre parfois plusieurs heures les synchronisations des fichier sur le CC

J'aimerai choisir parmi plusieurs fichiers celui que je voudrais synchroniser en priorité.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?