Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or
  1. text align vertically

Allow text to be vertically centered in text box.

In InDesign, there is an option in the text frame properties, "Vertical Justification", with a "Center" option.

Or, the "baseline shift" option could be split into either specifying a number, as it is now, or specifying "center in text box".

This option is very important sometimes, such as having a tag symbol (e.g. circle) with a label inside that is either 1 or 2 lines high. Right now I have to have 2 paragraph styles (1 for 1-line text and 1 for 2-line text) so the 1 line text is…

330 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

83 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Full Alignment Center Option

Instead of having two tools (Horizontal and Vertical Align Center), can we get a tool that does both in one called something like Fully Align Center. I've included an image of what the tool might look like.

40 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Align

Align should

Automatically align to artboard if only 1 object is selected.
    Align to the last object selected when selecting multiples.
    Keyboard shortcuts. Like Corel
    Center key that aligns vertically and horizontally.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Align text based on actual width (not including spaces)

Align text based on actual width (not including spaces)

Being able to alight editable text to the actual width of the text even it i has extra spaces would be helpful.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Align two points

The "Align" tool works on lines with 3 or more points. Sometimes, when working with two-point line segments, the end-points get vertically or horizontally out of line. Can you make the "Align" tool work on two-point lines, as well?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. The "Align" tool doesn't align

So the align tools is organized like this:

Align Objects:
    Vertical alignment tools Horizontal alignment tools

Distribute Objects:
    Horizontal distrib. tools Vertical distrib. tools

It confuses me each time. Why aren't the vertical tools both on the left, and both the horizontal tools on the right? Each time I use it I have to stop for a second and think about it before jumping horizontally to the tool I actually want. Please put the vertical alignment and distribution tools on the left, and the horizontal alignment and distribution tools on the right!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Prevent "Align paragraph" from moving the text from its position

It's by far the thing that annoys me the most about Illustrator;
    when you have your point text already positioned you need it to be aligned to a side and when you press the "align" button in the paragraph options the text moves and aligns to its previous center.
    It's a complete time-waster!

71 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Keyboard shortcuts for Align/Distribute commands and 'Align to' modes

I miss having keyboard shortcuts for align/distribute from my CorelDraw days. I'm a pro designer in a fast turnaround environment, and keyboard shortcuts are essential to my workflow.

As far as I know, the numeric keypad isn't being used in Illustrator. My proposal is: Pressing 0 toggles between absolute to the artboard or relative to last item selected. Pressing 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 will perform the align .2 = bottom, 4 = left, 5 = centre, 6 = right, 8 = top. Additionally 7 = distribute horizontal, 9 = distribute vertical.

Also, please copy the CorelDraw keyboard shortcut…

198 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Performance, Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. ALIGN TO OPPOSING SIDE

I would like to align objects (art, text, groups, etc.) to the immediate opposing side of another object. In other words, align the left side of a square to the right side of a square that is right beside it. Yes, I know the smart guides will snap to objects in this manner, but on a large document I want to be able to align multiple items without having to zoom to a microscopic level to check that the art has indeed snapped accurately (which it doesn't always do). With an align option, I will be assured that the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Align to artboard when only when item/group of items is selected.

Have aligning be dynamic depending on what is selected. If one item or group of items is selected auto select align to artboard rather than the last selected option.

If multiple items are selected but not group it would auto select align to selection.

This would reduce time having to check what you are aligning to since 99% of the time when you are trying to align a group it is to the artboard and the same with selecting multiple objects. It is a hassle having to constantly be checking and changing my align options.

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Align to Cap Height

It would be amazing if there were an option to Align to Cap Height similar to Align to Glyph Bounds released in the August 2020 update.

If you have separate bits of text that you are trying to align to the same object, the result can be jumbled depending on the types of letterforms you include. It would be nice to have the option for text to align the same no matter if you have ascenders, descenders, curved forms, etc.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please make my «Align To:» choice recordable in actions. («Align to:» in the Align palette)

I would like to be able to record my align to-choice in actions.
    Action 1: Align to center (Artboard)
    Action 2: Align to center (Key Object)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Used to be able to resize text back to 100% in a group after stretching it horizontally or vertically.

After stretching a group horizontally or vertically, you used to be able to resize the text back to 100% (aka, revert the weird text stretching while keeping all the objects grouped together). This option seems to be missing after the Ai update! Please give it back!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Align to bleed

Have an align to bleed option, anything going to print generally has a 3mm bleed and it would be handy to bet things to align to this instead of the edge of the artboard.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add an option for trimming side bearings

Valerii Mamedov pointed out the problem with side bearings, when each new line of text is shifted from the edge:
    https://i.imgur.com/mwHx6pG.png

This forces us to manually kern first glyph, which takes time, changes upon new font and still lacks precision.

Besides other appliances Illustrator is used for typographic design, and if user could set trimming of side bearings as a paragraph option, this could greatly help with font visual alignments.

The problem is amply described here:
    https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2013/11/11/xaml-text-improvements-in-windows-8-1/#ppyvqg1uKdWqE0Dv.97
    https://indesignsecrets.com/removing-space-along-left-edge.php

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Align/distribute to angle

It woulb be so cool if you could align/distribute objects on an angle. Say for example I want to align objects to a 45 degree angle, instead of aligning to the highest/lowest point, or to the left or right.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I'd like to see the transform values of text be accurate to the text rather than the text box

I'd like to see the transform values of text be accurate to the text rather than the text box. Also so that when I am center aligning text horizontally it will align the actual text and not the text box.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Click and hold an align-button to activate "Align tool"

What about an "Align tool", click and hold an align-button to lock it in. Then click an object to select i. The object will align to the next object you click, and both object align to the next object you click, and so on...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Align between guides option

The option to align between the two closest guides would help greatly when working on a multi-column document. Currently the only way to align to a single section of an artboard is to draw a box and align to that. Aligning to guides would streamline that quite a bit

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Unoutline Text

When creating a user interface at my job in illustrator, aligning text and iconography is very important. It would be awesome if I were able to create a bunch of live text, create outlines of this text, and move and align text all over the art board then somehow, UN-OUTLINE all the text and make all the text that you aligned to be re-editable and live text.

This would be phenomenally useful.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base