Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

731 results found

1. Rotate Tool flickering objects under transform

1. 22.0.1 (OSX 10.13.1)
    2. Drawing some element (dosen't matter what), selecting the rotate-tool, trying to rotate the element while holding shift.
    3. being able to rotate in fixed angles.
    4. flickering element, no control over rotation (see video)
    20 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

2. Image Trace has a problem keeping the artwork in the same location from the original.

Illustrator version 22.0.1

Image trace seems to have a problem keeping artwork in the same location from the original. Screen Shot 1 shows some text that I have rasterized to be image traced. I work at a die making facility so rasterized images need to be made into vectors for our CNC machines to "read them."

As it stands, if I image trace this text it is going to be transposed to the right and below the original. The image traced result in Screen Shot 2 is the magenta color. My original rasterized image is in black. When this specific…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  9 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Transparency lost in Image Trace

Transparency of .png images is lost if using the image trace option. So my already transparent picture now has a white background if I use image trace, unless I use sketched art which does not provide the look I want. All the options should be transparent, especially if the original file is already.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Line tool is immune to the Constrain Angle

When you set up Constraint Angle to 30 or whatever is different form 0 or 90, pick up Line tool and hold Shift, it still snaps to 0, 45, 90, 135... instead of 30, 75, 120, 165...

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Anjali responded

Thank you for reporting the issue.
    The engineering team is looking into the concern.

Regards

5. delete anchor point tool selecting bottom object

When two anchors of different objects are layered on top of one another, the delete anchor point tool will always select the bottom object, whether I have the top object selected or not. The add anchor point tool and direct selection will select the top object, but I want to be able to delete the anchor from the top object without having to go into isolation mode. This wasn't the case in the previous version.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. After redo is different from before undo

The reproduction procedure is as follows.
    1. Create a point text containing two or more paragraphs
    2. Change the transformation reference point to a position other than the default position
    3. Transform it with the scaling tool

At this point, remember the state of the artboard.

Undo (command + Z) once.
    Then redo (command + shift + Z).
    It should be different from before undo.

I feel very threatened because I often do this by hand.

in Japanese
    再現手順は以下の通りです。
    1. 段落を2つ以上含むポイントテキストを作成
    2. 変形の基準点をデフォルトの位置以外に変更
    3. それを拡大・縮小ツールで変形

ここまで進めたら、アートボードの状態をよく覚えてください。

一回取り消し(command+Z)します。
    そしてやり直し(command+shift+Z)します。
    取り消し前と様子が違っているはずです。

私はこれを手癖でよくやるのでとてもこわいです。

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.1.2 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

7. Center points are not visible

Guide objects have lost their center points. I have "Show Center" turned on in the Attributes panel and "Show Edges" turn on, and still, the Center-Points are not visible on object guides.

Object guides used to all have center-points showing all the time, as long as the guides were turned on. Now the center-points are missing.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 'Use Preview Bounds' works wrong with 'Stroke Inside' for Compound Path

If you set set stroke's alignment to inside and check 'Use Preview Bounds' (image 1), AI will draw bounding box (and calculate dimensions) where the stroke would be visible with no alignment (image 2). This is not how it's expected to behave. Th box should wrap the shape.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.1 which is available worldwide now.

9. Transform Each object in an isolated group transform the group instead

Select all objects in a Group and Transform Each will Transform each object WHILE ALSO TRANSFORMING THE WHOLE GROUP TOWARDS IT'S CENTRAL POINT. This directly contradicts the conventional meaning of "Transform Each".
    The workaround is to deselect one of the objects in the Group, which is why this is a Bug- the workaround is a kludge fix.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Brush won't change to basic

When drawing in cc 2018 on macOS High Sierra version 10.13.4. Program will not allow me to select basic brush. it defaults to 3pt round or a bristle brush. If I delete that brush it won't allow to draw anything. Need to restart and still won't allow me to select basic brush.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. no resize handles

My Selection tool does not show the resize handles anymore- this is making it nearly impossible to design easily- I have to measure and assign all aspects if it isnt sized right the first go. I have tried everything to fix it and I need it for school

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Group Selection and Selection Tool (V) selecting individual points

When using the group selection tool, I hi light and object by clicking on it and then try and move it. Rather than moving the object hi lighted, the tool selects a single point - grabs it - and I move that single point instead. This often leads to a crash of the application.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The solution to this problem is to disable the dedicated 'Show handles when multiple anchors are selected' option in Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display. 

Usually it is off by default and does not interfere.

However, when it’s enabled, Illustrator displays all handles for all selected art when Group Selection tool is used, and it can lead to accidental handle changes when moving the art.

If you have it disabled but still have problems — please comment back.

13. Illustrator v24.0 on macOS 10.15.1: rotate-panel has changed to the bad side

The rotate-tool had the numeric angle-input activated till v23. now in v24, this field has to be selected manually, which costs me a lot of time. Please change this back. To me this bad for efficiency.

My workflow before:
    - select path
    - press command-R
    - enter angle
    - press enter
    I can do this blind and very fast.

My workflow now means to manually select the field for entering the rotating angle, which is very annoying ! It takes much more time to do this now.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Bounding Box resetting automatically — ruins workflow

Normally in Illustrator, the bounding box is locked to the orientation of an object until you manually reset the bounding box. I am experiencing a bug in Adobe CC 23.0.3 where the bounding box of an object, or group of objects in this case, resets immediately after a rotation. This prevents me from executing the standard task of rotating an object, then scaling it horizontally using the bounding box to create the correct perspective (see video).

The reason I'm confident in reporting this as a bug is because I have never experienced this before and have been using Illustrator since…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Offset Path Won't Work

I am using Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 and can't get negative offset path values to work. I am trying to create an offset path in the negatives in text that I have created outlines on. When I do positive numbers, the offset path gets bigger (as it should) When I do negative offset values, the object is duplicated but at the exact same size. I have tried using the offset path tool from both the 'object' and 'effect' tabs and neither is giving me results. I have also tried negative values ranging from -1 to -16,000... there is no change.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

Can you please provide a screenshot or step-by-step details of what you are trying to do. I ask because it’s working fine for me (see attached screenshot; it’s quite possible that I misinterpreted what you are trying to achieve). Could it be that the negative offset you are applying is greater than the size of the object. In that case, it won’t work. Otherwise it should.

16. Both Free Transform tool and bounding box treat narrow objects wrong

I don't use bounding box. It messes with my corner and middle points, it occasionally resizes my art when I just want to drag it by it's side and so on — so I always turn it of.

When I need to scale anything, I pick up Free transform tool.
    Alas, both of these marker-ish tools have same problem — they treat narrow objects completely WRONG.

See the file attached.
    For example, I have a perfectly aligned and sized magenta strip.

First, I try to use Free Transform tool to make it taller. AI transform my path not from the…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Stroke size goes nuts under 1pt sizes

When drawing a regular line with pen tool and changing the size of the stroke to less than 1pt, it automatically switches to sizes higher than 1pt.
    For example, if I want my stroke to be 0.5 pt, and if I select it in a dropdown menu, it will automatically turn into 5pt stroke and that will also be applied on the line. Same thing when entering the value manually with the keyboard - entering 0.5 will automatically convert into 5 and change the stroke to be thicker instead of making it thinner. This only started happening in the newest…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

18. Reshape Tool’s markers don’t conform the Anchor Points, Handle, and Bounding Box Display Size' parameter

Reshape Tool is a rather hidden tool within Illustrator’s toolbox.
    It never received any updates (as many other tools) in last decades, and got even worse thanks to one specific improvement.

Illustrator today allows to increase size of anchor points, handle, and other control markers (referred below as just 'markers') with a dedicated parameter in the Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display section). It helps to transform and edit paths on higher DPI displays — a good feature.

...but Reshape Tool marks its control points with squares slightly larger than a normal point... a normal point of a smallest marker’s…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Selection Tool Bounding Box transform is broken with circles and rectangles

The most often used transform option - the bounding box of the selection tool - is broken with these shapes.

If the shape has stroke, the bounding box will include the stroke.
    And when I move the transform corner (no matter how tiny amount) the real vector outline jumps to bounding box around it to the stroke's visible edge - thus creating a completely unintentional transform. For example an upscale while I'm actually scaling down.
    ( The free transform tool works perfectly with these shapes too.)

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Pattern Tile Seam lines

Can we please find a way to fix those tiny 0.5 px seam lines we ALL have had to deal with for years? The ones that you see when you zoom in or out at certain levels? The ones that don't apparently print? However, they for sure show up when importing patterns into Photoshop, so they aren't just imaginary. When building a Photoshop pattern that begins as a vector pattern, it becomes a nightmare having to meticulously clone them out. Please fix this if at all possible!

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base