Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

389 results found

1. Inconsistencies in adding gradient swatches in Adobe software and Adobe's instructions for Illustrator gradient swatches are incorrect

Only one of the methods listed on the Adobe Illustrator help page regarding adding gradient swatches actually works..

There is no 'Add to Swatches' button in the Gradient menu (in fact, there is no Gradient menu, only a Gradient panel).

Dragging the Gradient fill box from the Gradient Panel to the Swatches panel does absolutely nothing.

Furthermore, the instructions 'Click the swatches menu in the Swatches panel and choose New Swatch' fails to explain the fact that you need to have your gradient selected and active in the active Fill or Stroke boxes.

On top of all of this, all…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. RGB Bug

I can't create a file in CMYK color format...everything even previous files have been converted to rgb. HELP!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Problem Illustrator 24 does not support the old PANTONE libraries

I tried to follow your guide: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/pantone-plus.html, that I always used to insert the old PANTONE libraries and have a conversion to CMYK instead of LAB and in this version it doesn't work.

I contact the online chat and they replied that this thing with ILLUSTRATOR 24 is no longer supported, and it is absurd.

I also tried to install the prereleas 24.0.1 but it doesn't work.

I can't work without this.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Freeform gradient locking spot color

If you use a spot color in a freeform gradient the swatch becomes locked, so you can't change the name or merge/delete the swatch.

Additionally, If you use global color swatches in the freeform gradient and copy to a new document, the global color doesn't get added to the swatches palette - you have to save and reopen the file for the swatch to appear.

macOS 10.14.6
    Illustrator 24.2.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. CMYK Hex Code Color Change

Windows 10 Pro 18362.719 / Adobe Illustrator 24.0.1. (64bit)

I downloaded and opened a CMYK/Vector file I received through Google Drive, and a specific color on the file was slightly brighter than the color that is supposed to be.

I tried to replace the specific graphic with the original color by typing the hex code manually, but it also changed to the brighter color.

I heard it has been a common issue that has been around, but is there any way to keep the color?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Symbol color management is different from color settings

Symbol color management is different from color settings

Example: Default CMYK Color profile is ISO coated v2 ECI
    RGB profile: sRGB
    When in CMYK file make a fill square in some color (for ex. 0-0-0-100) and create from this symbol, the color in symbol (symbol editing mode) stay 0-0-0-100, but symbol instance in file show the different color: 75-66-64-76.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. v24.2 swatches / pattern issues - either one or the other - different from fill drop down

in the latest version v24.2 (june2020) my swatches dissapeared and if i go to defaults RGB and click on the first (white) and last and then the last pattern in the block then click ADD TO SWATCHES and nothing happens or it only adds the last pattern.

i added one by one and it worked UNTIL i added a pattern and it erased all colour swatches and only left the patterns. this IS happening with the new update.

and in the upper left hand (menu bar) if on the fill drop down, it does link to shows the swatches and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. White color text is showing as black

I just updated my CC and now my text will not change to white, it remains black. The text will change to any other color, just not white.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. color

My colors in Illustrator are still displaying wrong.

There is a discussion about it here, that claims the bug has been fixed, but it has not.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-illustrator-colors-displaying-wrong/m-p/10987079?page=1#M179316

I am up-to-date in my version 24.1. I changed my Thunderbolt display colors back to factory settings in hopes of that being the issue, but it did nothing.

Please fix this bug. I am in the middle of making a postcard and it looks awful. Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Fill & Stroke colors & gradients selective but only previous fill visible on object

Latest Windows PC Version 10 64-bit. Adobe 2020 (24.0.2).
    Everything was normal until I began drawing a regular 5-point star with green fill & black stroke (fill color doesn't really matter). Layer shows correct colors of star in layers panel but the layer folder and what's visible on screen show no change in red fill result (which was set previously). In other words, choosing different fill colors made no difference. However, stroke color can be changed. Tried other shapes with same results. (Even restarted Illustrator.)
    Putting another shape on top of a previous shape caused the stroke of 2nd shape…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Color Shifting

In Illustrator CS5.5 I was able to adjust color swatches by increments (IE: Cyan: 0 to Cyan: .025). Now, the color picker will round the color to the nearest whole number or push the color to a different number. I've tried using the recoloring feature and I get the same situation. It will work sometimes, but will more often not work and just round the color up or down and not retain the value I have entered to CMYK. I always check if my file is set to CMYK because I am in the printing industry. Now, I can't hit…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Illustrator is changing my colors

I'm working on Interl(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU, Windows 10 Family. Latest version of Illustrator.

I put the right colors on my Artwork on illustrator but as soon as I save it and reopen it, the colors changed. It stays in a dark green but it's never exactly the one I put in the first place.

Example: I put #336633, save it. When I reopen it, it has changed in #006633 or 336733 ot 316738 or 356633 or even 40683c or 789c4a

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The operation cannot be complete beacuse of an unknown error. [STEX]

Trying to use Freeform Gradient on a more complex shape(image attached) and I get this error "The operation cannot be complete because of an unknown error. [STEX]"
    I tried making a new doc and still same issue. Some of the elements are coloured, but not all.
    System: MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
    Illustrator Version 23.0.6
    Thanks!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Freeform gradient fill disappears on select all action

1. OS: Windows Version: 10.0 System Architecture: x64 Illustrator v 23.0.6 (64-bit)
    2. I used a freeform gradient fill to fill a path and upon doing a select all to group a few different paths and shapes for easier movement or duplication, the fill of the path disappears and I need to either rebuilt the gradient or re-load the file as even doing CTRL+Z doesn't bring back the gradient
    3. The expected result is that the gradient remains as it was when doing a select all (Either through CTRL+A or using the Selection Tool)
    4. The Fill for the path disappears and the freeform…
    5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Can't find the basic pantone colors

I can't find certain Pantone colors in the swatch library anymore. For example Pantone 871 C (standard gold color) i can find in the 2019 by just typing it in the search bar, but in the 2020 version it doesn't recognise it... even if i import another swatch library it doesn't show it at all, but i'm certain it's in there.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. RGB black from Indesign translates to CMYK black in Illustrator upon Copy + Paste

This is a bug and not an idea:

What I copy RGB black (0,0,0) vector artwork from Indesign to paste into Illustrator, the artwork always pastes in with a value equivalent to CMYK black (0,0,0,100). The copy/pasting is happening from one RGB document to another ("Web" document in Indesign / "RGB" document setup in Illustrator).

Please fix!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. After updateing to Adobe Illustrator 2020 the program chrashes after some hours running.

I am working on a PC with the Adobe illustartor 2020 (24.0.1)
    The program keeps chrashing now and then. I have not yet seen a a pattern but the last time it happened I was changing colour of an outlined pattern.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. White is now yellow

All my colors with todays 10/16/18 update have shifted and have lost their embedded color file. (When opening previous work). My white swatch is yellow. But when placed in Indesign it is white as well well as the color makeup 0000. Hiw can i fix this?

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

19. Black Swatch becomes CMYK when dragged to object

Black Swatch in color pallette (between none and white lower left corner) colour changes values to CMYK when dragged to object on page.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. White

In. my company we can print the color White as a spot color. Our printer reacts on the name of the color "White".

Until a while ago it was no problem to add a White color swatch to Illustrator.
    Now I get an error (see image).

I don't know why it worked before and doesn't anymore.
    May be it's possible to make Illustrator work like Indesign and change the name of the original white-swatch to Paper?
    My problem would be solved :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 9 11 13 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?