3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Illustrator taking forever to save

Version 23.0.4 taking forever to save relatively small files- not sure what's going on but this problem began this week and persists after reinstall.

help!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. cannot place image into Illustrator.

Cannot place or drage image to illustrator.
    Sometimes only a rectangle with X in the middle appears, or just the selection pointer appears after I try to place (using the menu) or dragging an image to the Illustrator.
    I used different .png, .jpg files and I could not place image in the illustrator.
    Need help.
    I use Windows 10.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Not saving work

Illustrator 2019 is not saving my work properly. I save the file, then close and reopen it to find only half the work was actually saved.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Illustrator CC 23.0.2 not opening a SVG file

When I try to open a svg file, a dialog box asks me to "Select a File Format to open file:" The options are Pixar, PCX, BMP, PNG and Targa. Not only do I not need any of these options, but if I click any of them and press OK, I get an error that reads, "Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand this file."

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "An Unknown Error Has Caused the Operation to Fail" Message When Trying to export TIFF.

iMac running OS X 10.14.2
    Illustrator CC 2019

Whenever I try to export an artboard as a TIFF using "Export As", I get the ubiquitous, yet EXTREMELY vague error message, "An Unknown Error Has Caused the Operation to Fail" a couple of seconds after Illustrator starts to process the image (progress bars gets about 25% of the way).

Now, the weird part is that I have no problem exporting the same artboard as a PNG or JPG using the same "Export As' option.

And before you ask, yes I uninstalled and then reinstalled Illustrator but it's still having the same…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. unknown error [!now] when converting a rasterized pattern to PNG

I am trying to Export a .ai doc to PNG and receive the following message "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [!now]

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SVG Export Distortion

I am having 0 success with Adobe Illustrator exports that incorporate filters. Some are stock images from Adobe stock that have polygonal patters. Others are 3D text rendered objects. Others are layers built with a variety of transparency filters and opacity settings. The SVG exports are not usable and we are resorting to .png files until we solve this. I saw a similar post that was unresolved: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/33118615-sizes-and-coordinates-get-distorted-in-svg-export
    I am using export settings with Styling: Presentation; Images: Preserve; Object ID: Minimal; 2 Decimals; Minify and Responsive checked. Other modifications to these settings has not worked.
    Additionally, many of the Adobe…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Export as SVG: linked image gets deleted

Hi All,
    I have an issue when exporting to SVG.
    I created an AI file with a linked jpg image as a background, and some text on top.
    When I export to SVG, the original jpg image gets deleted (I mean the original file, it disappears from Finder, it's not even in the recycle bin) and then Illustrator gives me the message "Some files are missing or modified in the links panel. Would you like to update them now?".
    So, the first time I export, the SVG is saved correctly but I lose the original image file, if I try…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Intermittently, Illustrator does NOT save the file.

Intermittently, when I save a file (using Ctrl-S or File > Save), the existing file is NOT saved. This has caused me to lose work.

The Illustrator UI thinks that the file has been saved - the File > Save option is greyed out. When I look in the file's location on disk, the existing file shows an older file date and time; the last time it saved successfully. There is a new file with the expected date and time and the extension "t".

I can do a "Save As" which works. I can make some trivial changes…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Incorrect stroke-width on Import of SVG

I've converted a series of EPS graphics to SVG using Inkscape. Most of these graphics have a "transform" attribute that is used to reduce the dimensions/stroke-width of each path. On open, Illustrator handles the dimensions correctly, but does not appear to apply the stroke-width correctly. I've written a PHP script that removes the transform by manually overriding each coordinate/stroke and the SVG's seem to now work correctly. Here's the link to the library if anyone wants to try it:

https://github.com/bpopp/svgtransform/

There's also a more in-depth description of this bug.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. CC降存CS3工作區域不見

自升級為CC2018後,將檔案降存為CS3版本後,再開啟CS3版的檔案時,原本的工作區域會只剩下工作區域1,其他都只剩工作區域參考線,這是以前未出現的問題。
    1)而後嘗試改回CC2017還是有一樣的問題。
    2)CC2018降存CS6並無此問題。

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. The autosave in illustrator

The autosave in illustrator make system very busy and crushed illustrator, after restart file usually broken, has just part information (links broken, part of assets absent) or file start to be not rideable at all.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. cursor location in file name when exporting from illustrator

this has changed. Now when I export my files from illustrator, the cursor is automatically at hte end of the .png. I'm never going to manually overwrite the file extension! If I pressed the right arrow in the past, the cursor stopped before the dot and I could add a bit or change the file name easily. now I have to remember to press the left arrow several times to get past the file extension

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. This file has been modified outside of Illustrator

Just like the title says. This is a really annoying problem. It happens every time when I save to Onedrive or when I use Illustrator files from the Google Drive File Stream. This is a long term problem for me and many others. Even tough people mark their problem as solved, it isn't.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. save change

I opened an existing Illustrator .ai file. Changed the colour of an object's stroke. Saved. Closed. Then I noticed the change was not there.
    Repeated several times. Kept trying to make the change and command-s. 
    I could see the colour change when I changed the value, but saving did nothing. I noticed that after making the change, the red circle at the top left of the window did not get a black dot to indicate an unsaved change.
    I finally did a Save As to make it remember the change. Using Illustrator 24.2 on Mac OS 10.13.6

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Save As or Save Copy not working

I have a document (on a network share). I can edit the file and save it normally.

But SAVE AS or SAVE COPY do not work at all. Just Nothing Happens.
    Sometimes a short spinning ball. No errors, no feedback.

Illustrator 24.2 on Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.4, iMac 2019 40GB memory

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Hidden layers are visible when exporting as png

windows 10 pro ver 1909
    Adobe Illustrator 2020 24.1.2

If you hide a layer that overlaps the following conditions and export it as png, the layer will be displayed in the output png file even though it is hidden on the screen.
    ・Appearance is set on the layer itself.
    ・The layer is inside another layer. (It is a sublayer.)

There are the following workarounds.
    • Appearance on a group of paths rather than on layers.
    ・Take from another layer and change from sublayer to top layer.
    ・Export as jpg.

There is a workaround for the time being, but the work…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ai files saved on windows lose their preview when changing extension to .ait

To prevent accidentally saving over common library files (stock graphics and the like) we save our artwork files as .ai, then change the extension to .ait so that they will open as an untitled file. There are a couple of reasons I do things this way instead of saving them as .ait files from the get go.

The main reason is that it's not uncommon that I'll need to run a batch script on several files. As part of that batch, I open the file, make some change(s), then save the file. If the files are initially saved as a…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. SVG export with text – line breaks forcing text to convert to outlines

I've been working on a project that requires SVG files with embedded text and have discovered what seems to be a bug.

It seemed arbitrary at first, that some text objects would be converted to outlines while others would remain as text. I finally figured out that forced line breaks were the culprit, as illustrated in the screenshots I've attached. The problem is the same whether you use point type or area type objects.

I'm currently running the latest version of Illustrator (24.1.2) on macOS High Sierra (10.13.6).

I've also noticed this issue is similar to another one that might…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base