Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop)
  2. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Normal "Save" operation in recording Actions becomes a "Save as" operation

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 2004, Illustrator version 25

When you create a new action and use "Save" it becomes a "Save As" where it displays a path.

My scenario: I often have to re-save a batch-exported pdf again with normal "Save" so that all text is converted to paths for a print house via custom shortcut F12.

Because during batching there is no option do convert the text.
    So I need a second run with recorded actions:

• select all

• convert all text to path (outlines)

• save

• close

The normal save operation is required so this can work with any file…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. DXF import failure - content not visible

MacBook Pro15,1 - Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
    Mac OS Big Sur
    Mac OS Catalina
    Illustrator 2021 v 25.0

When I import a DXF-file into Illustrator 2021 there is no content (lines, dots, splines,...) visible.
    Work with Illustrator 2020 v24.3 very well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cannot Export Print Quality PNG from Illustrator 2021 Mac OS Catalina

Every time I try to export my large print quality files from Illustrator as .png, I get an error message. The Operation Cannot Complete Because of an Unknown Error [!now] I am trying to maintain the 300dpi quality because this is how my printer accepts files. (As .png.) My Illustrator file is 10000 x 10000 pixels at 300 dpi. I have tried it as 150 dpi and all of the export settings and always get the error message. I see on your forums that this has been going on for many years and that I'm not the only designer to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. AI files opening as old versions

Illustrator is intermittently not properly saving my files and is opening old versions of the AI file.

This is my workflow:

Create design and save AI file. Save PDF file and send to client. Receive amends, open AI file and amend + save. Save PDF file and send to client.

Repeat until the design is approved.

At this point I open the AI file and prepare the print files for production.

However, the AI file is opening as an older version and does not have the latest amends saved. This is costing us £100s in incorrectly manufactured items.

PLEASE HELP!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Background Save works but it thinks it's not working!

Illustrator 2020 v24.0, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

1. As I'm working on a .AI file, I periodically save, expecting the saving to complete in the background.

2. The save completes - I can tell that by looking at the file using QuickLook in the Finder, but...

Expected Result: I expect the asterisk to go away, and I expect to have no dialog when I click close.

Actual Result: The "I'm not a saved document" asterisk is still in the title bar, and if I click the close button, I get a "your document won't be saved" dialog.

I'm uploading a screenshot.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are unable to reproduce this issue in house. We need your help in getting this issue reproducible.

Kindly provide some video and Test file(Via File→Package) with some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us in a zip file. Please let us know if you have been using any 3rd Party plugin while facing this problem.

Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we might need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

If yes, then please do let us know (sharewithai@adobe.com) about your available time so that I can schedule a remote screen sharing session accordingly.
    Our time zone is IST (+5:30 GMT).We are available between 8.00 am to 8.00 pm IST.

Thanks and Regards,
    -Juhi Varshney
    Illustrator Team

6. “Save As” now selects not only the filename but also the extension

The selected area as of now was only the filname without the extension. That allowed you to simply give the file a new name. Now that the whole field (including the extension) is selected, you should give your new file an extension manually.
    That should be corrected.

P.S.: If you export files then this „behaviour” doesn't occur.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Vector fill shifting when exporting

I created a fill using vector lines that looks like a quilted look. I arranged the fill in the object to be centered. However, when I either open the AI. file in acrobat or export as png or jpeg the fill vector lines have shifted and are no longer centered. I have tried grouping the layers and locking the layers. THe only thing that seams to work is rasterizing, which I would rather not do in case I need to edit later. Plus, even when I rasterize in high 300dpi the lines don't look clear.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Hidden layers are visible when exporting as png

windows 10 pro ver 1909
    Adobe Illustrator 2020 24.1.2

If you hide a layer that overlaps the following conditions and export it as png, the layer will be displayed in the output png file even though it is hidden on the screen.
    ・Appearance is set on the layer itself.
    ・The layer is inside another layer. (It is a sublayer.)

There are the following workarounds.
    • Appearance on a group of paths rather than on layers.
    ・Take from another layer and change from sublayer to top layer.
    ・Export as jpg.

There is a workaround for the time being, but the work…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Can't highlight document name or sizes to change...

When I create a new document, I cannot highlight the name or sizes with my mouse anymore. I have to click and delete manually before inputting new information.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. svg repeated symbols are invisible

When attached svg is opened in Adobe Illustrator 2020 - second usages of glyphs (B, 2, 0) are not displayed properly like in attached screenshot.
    Is this an issue with original svg (it looks fine in Chrome or Firefox) or Illustrator?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. File name wrong when exporting an Illustrator file as a PNG (it uses the files previous name)

If you have an illustrator file open and resave it with a new name - when you then export that file as a PNG it keeps the name that you previously used - not the new saved name. When exporting I have to manually change the name to be the new name I have just given the file. Very annoying when you have to create numerous files off of one original document which you need to keep exporting as a PNG. Even more annoying is when you have exported the file and it is saving over the previous one you…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Save for Web Preview

This has bugged me for a very long time. When exporting, often the image looks like it will be missing a pixel width along the edge unless you increase the image size to go over the artboard vs. exactly fitting the artboard.
    I check the dimensions of the art and, for example, it's 1920x1080 perfectly aligned in the corner at x=0 and y=0, yet you can see the missing pixel along the left edge. And, if I export it, it indeed is missing the pixel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. File saving issue

Hi,

I'll give you an example:
    I work with a slightly heavy multi-artboard illustrator file.
    After making the neccessary design changes, I press Ctrl+S to save the .ai file.
    Then I wait for a second until it starts showing the percentage of the saving progress in the "filename tab". When the percentage shows up, it means that I can -meanwhile- press Ctrl+Shift+S to also save the file as a .PDF. Everything seems fine so far - the dialogue shows up, I rename the file, press Save, select my PDF saving preferences (with Preserve AI editing ability unchecked...), and hit Save…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Illustrator Known Issue - Adobe Illustrator crash when run running around 30 minutes on multiple document.

Hello Adobe Team,
    There is known issue on Page 13 of the below link

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/illustrator/pdf/AIScriptGd2017.pdf

In our process we work around 2000 to 2500 documents in one go. Could you guys address this issue as soon as possible.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Problem described in this thread arises due to using a single script for processing thousands of files without changing the context.

A single script is executed in a single context inside the Illustrator application and we don’t have any mechanism to pause the script for changing the context thus allowing the OS to recover the resources used in this context.

So instead of using a loop inside the script that is being executed inside the Illustrator application, we are suggesting to use CEP extensions and sending the script to Illustrator for execution in the loop. Now the user can create a string that may contain all the commands that need to be done for a single document and can have loops in the CEP extension to create these strings for each document and send a signal to Illustrator for the execution of these commands. In this fashion user can process…

15. Downsampling not working properly with Extra large artboards

When saving into a PDF file larger than 225.5417" it uses the new extra large artboard feature (since version 24.2). This applies a scaling factor of 10 so that the file can be viewed properly in Acrobat.

The issue is that if you downsample your images it doesn't take into account the scaling factor. This means for a 1000" document, if I want to downsample to 300 dpi/in, I will need 300 000 dpi. But, the downsampling tools views the document as being 100" instead, and I end up with 30 000 dpi. So the end result is a 30dpi/in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 bit TIFF files still importing inverted after all these years

It's been a while since I needed to import a 1 bit tiff file into Illustrator (maybe two years?) And I was so surprised to see this problem still occurs even in version 24.0.3

Does anyone know a fix bedside inverting it in Photoshop before importing it?
    This is a no go, because when people open the file who aren't experiencing the the problem, it's wrong again.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. illustrator exporting bug.

When i export in the latest version, the file name reverts back to an older file name and tries to save it in the previous location. I need it to export as the same name as the ai file and in the same location as the current ai file. I've never had this issue in any older versions of illustrator.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Report Font Bug Error

ERROR: Creating a design/file using a a font, when saved and previewed in AI and or in another program. The Font changes completely.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Saving Issues on Large Artboards

I am working in the Illustrator 2020 with Windows 10. The issue I have is that when I initially work on a project with an artboard say 300"x300" it works great and seems to save just fine. However after I close out and go to re-open the saved file it comes in at 10% scale. My new artboard is 30"x30". Am I missing something? I feel like the file should remain how you saved it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Illustrator 2021 - When exporting for web, cannot use copy & paste shortcut in Finder for macos

Illustrator 2021 - When exporting for web, cannot use copy & paste shortcut in Finder for macos

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base