Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

343 results found

1. Mutiple profiles & Artboards

Illustrator Version: CC 2019 (23.0.3)
    Mac: Mojave (10.14.2) 5k 27" 32gb Ram

Firstly there are 3 Film & Video profile dropdowns (1. Film & Video, 2. Film and Video, 3. Video and Film). Not sure why.

No matter what general preset I use or artboard size preset I choose I get 2 artboards.

1 artboard is the correct size and the other is basically the complete canvas area.

I am constantly having to delete the 2nd artboard.

Can I stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Using 'Paste in place' - it doesn't work as expected

If I create 20 blank art boards the same size and then create artwork on one, containing a background rectangle and a logo rectangle in one corner and then I use the paste in place command by using cmd+C on the selected items on art board 1 (the background and logo rectangles) and then use cmd+SHFT+V on each of those other art boards to accurately paste the items on each board it often either doesn't place, places incorrectly, can work out which art board is selected etc I have tried clicking on each of the art boards 'to activate' in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Unable to retain the last active artboard on switching from another file

This is related to this issue here, though I'm unable to vote or comment on it. So I'm reposting this issue, because it's still annoying.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/32101687-zoom-to-arbitrary-artboard-when-switching-between

When I https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/32101687-zoom-to-arbitrary-artboard-when-switching-between

When I ⌘+Tilde (~), on certain documents (the setting seems to be saved to a document), it automatically Fits Artboard to Screen on the last artboard of the document. It is confusing, and annoying, and interrupts workflows where I need to move quickly between artboards. Please fix this.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

5. Cannot double click to open an AI document, or open a smart object from Photoshop

If Illustrator is closed, I can double-click on a file name, or a smart object in photoshop, and the file will open in Illustrator. If Illustrator is open this is not possible. My workaround has been to open the file from within Illustrator (tedious, but doable). However, there is no workaround to open a photoshop smart object. So I literally have to close Illustrator each and every time I want to open and edit a smart object. At first I thought this had to do with having objects on the clipboard, but even after clearing the clipboard this is still…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Can't switch to tabbed files/windows, screen turns gray, can't view any open files/windows.

When I have several files open, I can't switch tabs to another file. It gets stuck on one file, even if I click on different tabs, and eventually the screen goes grey and I can't view any open files.
    The only way to fix is to close files (without being able to see them!) and restart Illustrator. Hugely inconvenient to close files without seeing them.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Pixel number inconsistency

Windows 10? (most recent and just updated yesterday)
    Illustrator 22.1 (64bit)

When I told Illustrator to create an artboard of 350x350 pixels, I thought it could actually do so. That was the template image size that our web designer propogated across our entire website.

Then I exported 11 images from Illustrator to .png format to re-build one of our webpages. They came out as 1459x1459. Now I will resize them in Microsoft Paint. They'll pixelate and probably look like trash. All because Illustrator can't understand "350 pixels x 350 pixels" on the Create New prompt window.

Flaming dumpster fire. I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to ensure your pixel-sized document stays the same size after export is to use the default screen resolution — 72 PPI.

If you set anything else, Illustrator will scale the image  accordingly (as if the 'Resample' option in Photoshop is ticked when you resize an image).

There is no way to write a custom resolution AND maintain the desired size at the same time.

The reasoning behind this behaviour is that the resolution value is supposed irrelevant when an image’s intent is Screen or Web. An image can have no resolution value stored in it at all, it’s just an optional coefficient, and then different viewers and editors suppose a value on their own — usually 72 PPI (Mac-style) or 96 PPI (Windows-style).

Unlike other editors, Illustrator has a continuous range for all measurements units. One pixel is considered to be equal one point, and a point…

8. Different size of postcard preset in the home about Japanese version

Illustrator that is Japanese version has different size of postcard preset in the home.

In the home screen, postcard preset written in "100 X 148mm" but that preset becomes other sizes (197.56 X 101.6 mm).

I want to fix it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fit on screen glitch

When I click fit on screen in the screen size (I don't know the actual name of the option thing) option it fits to the screen THEN will move to where the mouse is clicked next, just like the zoom tool. This is decreasing efficiency of the app for me.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. paste in front does not always land on correct artboard

Paste in front (command F) does not always land the clipboard contents onto the correct art board. It does most of time, but not all the time!

In this screen shot, I have the black background selected on the right, but paste in front pastes it on the left artboard that has no focus or selection.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Preferences NOT saving

Not an idea - It's a BUG -
    I change my Preference > Units > General to Inches.
    Once I quite and reopen they are Points again.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.0.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

12. Most recent changes not showing when opening up the PDF file in updated CC

I have the most updated Adobe Illustrator. When someone is using an older version of CC and I open up the saved PDF file in my updated version, it doesn't show the changes that were made to the PDF file by the someone that has the older version of CC.

I even had them try adjusting the settings in the PDF such as, "smallest file size", "optimize for web", "Illustrator Default", etc..but no luck.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. another file size issue

In addition to the JPEG issue, there is the problem that vector files are often almost 10x the size as exactly the same file in CS6.

I reported this over a year ago.

Sloppy coding?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Align to Artboard

All version of Illustrator before CC 2018 the Align to.. command would stick to Align to Artboard unless you clicked on another object to define a Key Object.

This upgrade keeps jumping back to align selections.

146 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

15. New Update 23.0.3 Causes Failure to Preview and Art Boards Save Erroneously in PDF

New Update 23.0.3 Causes Failure to Preview and Art Boards Save Erroneously in PDF- when saving out files they will error. The saved file will display and print a black gradient space in lieu of the art board and (seemingly random) graphics will be omitted. This is replicated when saving as a new AI or PDF or Printed from the saved file. The original AI file shows it prints normally but the print out is also erroneous.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. New Document > Bleeds behaving strangely

1. In the New Document window, begin by unlinking the bleed settings.
    2. Set your top bleed to any non-zero value.
    3. Click the link to re-link the bleed settings. All 4 settings will appear to change automatically, to match the top bleed set in step 2.
    4. Click OK

Unexpected result: A new document appears with only a top bleed, instead of matching bleeds on all 4 sides.

Tested with the same results on Mac and Windows, both running Illlustrator 23.0.3

EDIT: Sorry, just realised I hadn't specified, this error is in the legacy New Document window, not the new one.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. EPS Saving

Whenever I try saving a file as an EPS one, it continuously keeps separating my art boards into their own files, when I need them to stay in one sole file (as it should). This has happened on my personal macbook and the one I use at work various times and is setting back print jobs. Can we go back to retaining files on one until specified to not?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Illustrator shows another file's content when opening a new one

If I have one document open and try to open a new one, Illustrator shows the new filename in the newly opened tab but with the OTHER document's content. This was happening in Photoshop too, and now both programs!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Option+Drag with Artboard tool to duplicate Artboard copies art twice and drags places in the opposite direction

When I Option(Alt)+Drag to duplicate an artboard. Illy places another copy of the boards artwork on the opposite side of the original artboard.

It's happening in Illustrator CC 2019 (23.0.3)
    I'm on a 2017 iMac running:
    MacOS Mojave 10.14.4

Please see the attached video.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. New Document Delay

When creating FILE > New… the 'New Document' pop-up appears immediately, but it's blank and the content/fields don't display for a good 7-8 seconds later.

I expect this to be visible immediately. I know there was a similar issue in Photoshop CC that you could avoid by using a legacy New Doc preferences.

Illustrator CC 23.0.2 on Mojave OSX 10.14.5

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 9 11 13 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?