Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

343 results found

1. Illustrator shows another file's content when opening a new one

If I have one document open and try to open a new one, Illustrator shows the new filename in the newly opened tab but with the OTHER document's content. This was happening in Photoshop too, and now both programs!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Touch Workspace Inconsistent

I have a Dell XPS 15 9570; it's more laptop than tablet, but it does have some touchscreen functionality.

When I first launched Illustrator on this device, I had the option to use touch mode, which was awesome.

For some reason though, it is no longer accessible. I've checked the workspaces menu, window>wirkspaces, etc. Nothing. There's not external keyboard connected (the laptop has a built in keyboard), I've restarted illustrator, I've tried different document types, I've switched my OS between tablet mode and laptop mode... nothing.

I'd really like to be able to use this mode again. Any advice?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. artboard

I am having issues with the alignment of the image on the artboard. It seems the rectangle I used to cover the artboard isn't lining up. I am not sure if this is a problem or I simply don't know how to fix it

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The artwork has a small black dot on the right side, far away from the artboard. Watch closely at the right side of your 11×17.jpg image to notice it.
    And export options were probably without ‘Use artboards’ tick.

P.S. Please always provide the file you have problems with!

4. image trace quick action does nothing...

I opened a transparent PNG file in Illustrator, hoping to do a simple quick vector conversion, when I pressed the "Image Trace" button in the Quick Actions menu, in the properties toolbar, I got precisely bubcuss. Just nothing - no feedback, no error, no expected menu of options. Just nothing. The other quick actions don't seem to do anything at all either.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. File Not Rendering From Cold Start

Opening an illustrator file while Illustrator is closed will load Illustrator as normal but won't render the file once its loaded. The file is open but refuses to show with only the Recent files/New file screen showing, but with all the UI for a working file.

Only way to gain access is to force quit Illustrator and load it without opening a file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Switching between files doesn't work properly - or at all

See the attached video. I have two files open. The second file I opened does not display. When I click on the file tab I still have the previous file displayed. Regardless of which file is active, I can only edit one. I can't even see the other. They are two completely different projects - they do not look the same. You are only seeing one file in this video, despite which one I select. I have to quite and restart, losing any changes I may have in the one file I cannot see.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.3.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

7. Layer Hierarchy Glitch

I've stumbled onto a glitch which breaks my layer heirarchy when copying and pasting. I've outlined it in greater detail in the following thread. I've also attached the file where this occurs.

I've been able to reproduce these results when copying a layer which contains sub-layers with clipping masks. This problem persists even after the mask is removed, suggesting the layers remained glitched in some way after the fact. This is important because it means the glitch can potentially spread through your file as you work with no way of tracking it.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10888142#10888142

Windows 10
    Adobe Illustrator

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Illustrator does not remember general unit settings

Illustrator cc 2018 does not remember that i choose 'mm' for my general measurements and points for lines & type.
    Please fix that urgently, it’s soul destroying stuff, I really require it to work correctly as I operate your software with one hand & i need to jump things in & out of place & require the software to remember my settings!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Video Rulers not correct (and useless ;-)

While I don't really need the Video Rulers , they do not seem to work well. (Rulers are a quite skeuomorphic tool anyway, since with Ai we can place everything numerically)

The horizontal axis does not reflect the horizontal pixelnumbers, illustrated in the screenshot, where a 1920 wide artboard is shown to have 1440 pixels in the width by the ruler. Maybe due to some non square pixel setting. Confusing and unneeded?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Pixel number inconsistency

Windows 10? (most recent and just updated yesterday)
    Illustrator 22.1 (64bit)

When I told Illustrator to create an artboard of 350x350 pixels, I thought it could actually do so. That was the template image size that our web designer propogated across our entire website.

Then I exported 11 images from Illustrator to .png format to re-build one of our webpages. They came out as 1459x1459. Now I will resize them in Microsoft Paint. They'll pixelate and probably look like trash. All because Illustrator can't understand "350 pixels x 350 pixels" on the Create New prompt window.

Flaming dumpster fire. I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to ensure your pixel-sized document stays the same size after export is to use the default screen resolution — 72 PPI.

If you set anything else, Illustrator will scale the image  accordingly (as if the 'Resample' option in Photoshop is ticked when you resize an image).

There is no way to write a custom resolution AND maintain the desired size at the same time.

The reasoning behind this behaviour is that the resolution value is supposed irrelevant when an image’s intent is Screen or Web. An image can have no resolution value stored in it at all, it’s just an optional coefficient, and then different viewers and editors suppose a value on their own — usually 72 PPI (Mac-style) or 96 PPI (Windows-style).

Unlike other editors, Illustrator has a continuous range for all measurements units. One pixel is considered to be equal one point, and a point…

11. Releasing Layer Mask issues, Window placement

Sorry—forgot to give you my system last time: Mac OS 10.12.6, AI 23.0.1

1) When I create a layer mask that includes clipping masks within, there are problems releasing the layer mask.
    a) using the Layers panel Make/Release Button releases some of the clipping masks within. (see attached movie)
    b) Using the Properties panel button and/or the Object> Mask> release will appear to do nothing, but is a redraw issue requiring View> Outline/View>Preview toggle.

2) when I startup Illustrator without the application frame it often misplaces my document so it's tucked behind the tools panel —sometime it is where it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Phantom Artboard keeps appearing

After I have created multiple artboards, and click to rearrange them, I keep getting this phantom artboard that shows up. It doesn't seem to be an actual artboard - I cannot select it with the artboard selection tool, and it doesn't show up on the artboard list, but it's there, being annoying visually, and since I can't select it, I can't figure out how to make it go away. I've tried to close and reopen the file, as well as the program. The only thing that has made it go away is to recreate the artboards in a new file…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cannot open previous files or create new files in Illustrator V.23.0.1

The issue:

Adobe Illustrator won't open or create new files in version 23.0.1

System information:
    Software:
    System Software Overview:
    System Version: macOS 10.14.2 (18C54)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 18.2.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Computer Name: DUBM60286516A
    Username: Julian, John (i313124)
    Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
    System Integrity Protection: Enabled
    Time since boot: 1S40
    Hardware:
    Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: 149.0.0.0.0
    SMC…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Grey blocks trailing

Using Mac OS Mojave
    Version 10.14.1

When I move an object within the art board, the area following it gets grayed out. If I zoom in our out, the greyed out area disappears. It's been happening ever since the 2019 update. I've attached a video screen shot.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Object mirrored and reflected in the background, macOS Mojave 10.14.1

I select an object that is in a group. It is then put in isolation mode. Then when I zoom in and out the full grouped object is behind it and reflected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. .AI an d XD files not opened by default on Windows 10

Ashutosh Chaturvedi, sorry but one of your issues is not totally fixed, you have many users who are waiting for an answer for the .ai an wd files wich are supposed to by opened by default by thèse two softwares by double-clicking. This issue is not fixed on Windows 10. Thank you for your time and you answer ASAP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Before you do that are you manually able to change file association of .ai file to another application say Notepad.exe ? There is another issue with file association going around. Please check this link: https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft-broke-windows-10s-file-associations-with-a-botched-update/

17. "Move Locked and Hidden Artwork with Artboard" not working

Despite the correct option being selected in Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Zoom differs when overprint preview is off..

When overprint preview is off magnify is from center point when overprint preview is on magnify is a area box. wth!?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Choose where to place new artboard

Choose where to place new artboard, like how Illustrator used to act:

Please bring back the ability of a user to control where new artboards appear, rather than Illustrator always putting it next to whatever artboard might be selected or last one made. In earlier versions of Illustrator, users could make a new artboard in any particular location by simply clicking the artboard tool in the paste board.

It is SO frustrating to make a new artboard in some odd location and then have to move it to where you wanted it to be in the first place.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. new document dialog closes if you're a power user (fast)

Once in illustrator if I want to make a new document I press command+n it brings up a new document dialog box. If you press enter while the dialog box is loading it closes. You have to then press command+n and wait for it to load and then pressing enter is successful in creating a new document. Please fix this because it's wasting people's time. Just found legacy mode so I guess that will do.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base