Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

343 results found

1. Snap to grid doesn't work at artboard edge

When moving objects / vertices, they snap to the artboard edge and move freely without aligning to the grid.

Although this was supposedly fixed before, it is now broken again (version 23.1). Please see the following ticket for the issue:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/33058219-snap-to-grid-doesn-t-work-at-artboard-edges

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Panels, windows not updating or displaying correctly

Finding this bug a lot recently. Basically I will be working in a file and the tool panels won't display, you can right click and see the the pop ups but nothing appears. likewise if you have two or more documents open and switch between them, the screen stays the same. It says I'm on the new document but it doesn't change. the only way to fix it is to close and restart the program. I also get it with photoshop. both at work and home. I'm essentially running the same software/hardware at either site. 27" iMac 16gb - 32gb…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Wrong starting format measures ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR IN CREATIVE CLOUD

WRONG STARTING SIZES B FORMAT IN ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR

B4 size is 250x353mm
    and
    B5 size is 176x250mm

I was keep getting wrong printed formats because i was just pressing given model without carefully lookout.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Cannot double click to open an AI document, or open a smart object from Photoshop

If Illustrator is closed, I can double-click on a file name, or a smart object in photoshop, and the file will open in Illustrator. If Illustrator is open this is not possible. My workaround has been to open the file from within Illustrator (tedious, but doable). However, there is no workaround to open a photoshop smart object. So I literally have to close Illustrator each and every time I want to open and edit a smart object. At first I thought this had to do with having objects on the clipboard, but even after clearing the clipboard this is still…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Using 'Paste in place' - it doesn't work as expected

If I create 20 blank art boards the same size and then create artwork on one, containing a background rectangle and a logo rectangle in one corner and then I use the paste in place command by using cmd+C on the selected items on art board 1 (the background and logo rectangles) and then use cmd+SHFT+V on each of those other art boards to accurately paste the items on each board it often either doesn't place, places incorrectly, can work out which art board is selected etc I have tried clicking on each of the art boards 'to activate' in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Fit on screen glitch

When I click fit on screen in the screen size (I don't know the actual name of the option thing) option it fits to the screen THEN will move to where the mouse is clicked next, just like the zoom tool. This is decreasing efficiency of the app for me.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. paste in front does not always land on correct artboard

Paste in front (command F) does not always land the clipboard contents onto the correct art board. It does most of time, but not all the time!

In this screen shot, I have the black background selected on the right, but paste in front pastes it on the left artboard that has no focus or selection.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. New Update 23.0.3 Causes Failure to Preview and Art Boards Save Erroneously in PDF

New Update 23.0.3 Causes Failure to Preview and Art Boards Save Erroneously in PDF- when saving out files they will error. The saved file will display and print a black gradient space in lieu of the art board and (seemingly random) graphics will be omitted. This is replicated when saving as a new AI or PDF or Printed from the saved file. The original AI file shows it prints normally but the print out is also erroneous.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Files showing up as blank screens

macOS High Sierra, then Mojave 10.14.3
    iMac 2017
    Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 24 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB

Our art department team was running High Sierra when the below issue first started happening (when we first updated to Illustrator 2019, so we updated our OS to Mojave. The problem persists. When we go back to the 2018 version, the problem resolves.

We tried a clean reinstall. We used the uninstallers, deleted all preferences, restarted our systems, ran CC Cleaner and reinstalled Creative Cloud, but it didn’t resolve it. We also made sure…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Touch Workspace Inconsistent

I have a Dell XPS 15 9570; it's more laptop than tablet, but it does have some touchscreen functionality.

When I first launched Illustrator on this device, I had the option to use touch mode, which was awesome.

For some reason though, it is no longer accessible. I've checked the workspaces menu, window>wirkspaces, etc. Nothing. There's not external keyboard connected (the laptop has a built in keyboard), I've restarted illustrator, I've tried different document types, I've switched my OS between tablet mode and laptop mode... nothing.

I'd really like to be able to use this mode again. Any advice?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. artboard

I am having issues with the alignment of the image on the artboard. It seems the rectangle I used to cover the artboard isn't lining up. I am not sure if this is a problem or I simply don't know how to fix it

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The artwork has a small black dot on the right side, far away from the artboard. Watch closely at the right side of your 11×17.jpg image to notice it.
    And export options were probably without ‘Use artboards’ tick.

P.S. Please always provide the file you have problems with!

12. Video Rulers not correct (and useless ;-)

While I don't really need the Video Rulers , they do not seem to work well. (Rulers are a quite skeuomorphic tool anyway, since with Ai we can place everything numerically)

The horizontal axis does not reflect the horizontal pixelnumbers, illustrated in the screenshot, where a 1920 wide artboard is shown to have 1440 pixels in the width by the ruler. Maybe due to some non square pixel setting. Confusing and unneeded?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Releasing Layer Mask issues, Window placement

Sorry—forgot to give you my system last time: Mac OS 10.12.6, AI 23.0.1

1) When I create a layer mask that includes clipping masks within, there are problems releasing the layer mask.
    a) using the Layers panel Make/Release Button releases some of the clipping masks within. (see attached movie)
    b) Using the Properties panel button and/or the Object> Mask> release will appear to do nothing, but is a redraw issue requiring View> Outline/View>Preview toggle.

2) when I startup Illustrator without the application frame it often misplaces my document so it's tucked behind the tools panel —sometime it is where it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. .AI an d XD files not opened by default on Windows 10

Ashutosh Chaturvedi, sorry but one of your issues is not totally fixed, you have many users who are waiting for an answer for the .ai an wd files wich are supposed to by opened by default by thèse two softwares by double-clicking. This issue is not fixed on Windows 10. Thank you for your time and you answer ASAP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Before you do that are you manually able to change file association of .ai file to another application say Notepad.exe ? There is another issue with file association going around. Please check this link: https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft-broke-windows-10s-file-associations-with-a-botched-update/

15. Zoom differs when overprint preview is off..

When overprint preview is off magnify is from center point when overprint preview is on magnify is a area box. wth!?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Screen showing wrong file despite clicked in the correct one.

I opened a large file, while having a couple other docs open. My screen still shows the original doc in my window, with complete capability to edit, select, and pan, but is showing that I'm clicked into the new drawing at the top tab. This is a fundamental flaw to file opening that is only resolved by restarting.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Art file and screen?

When i open a art file the screen is black and the art work is locked?!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Illustrator issues, SVG only?

When using CC (updated to v. 23), illustrations appear distorted when rendered with stylesheet. During troubleshooting, I open a colleague's SVG illustration in CS6 as well as CC v.23 and compare. See attachments. CC distorts both content size and artboard size. We never had this issue with CS.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Artboard border obstructs topmost and leftmost rows of pixels at 100% zoom

In AI CC 2018 and 2019, on Windows 10 Home 64 bit, the black border of artboards overlaps the top row and left column of pixels in the image when zoomed to 100%. (For 2019, Pixel Preview must be on to properly see this because of https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/35736118-100-view-is-not-100-for-pixels-in-cc2019)

The attached screenshot shows a 16x11px artboard zoomed way in on the left, and at 100% on the right, plus an 8x version I added so it can be seen better. Clearly part of the white outline is obstructed by the the black border of the artboard. Not good!

So, basically, it's…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 8 10 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?