Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Cannot copy from one layer and. paste to another....

After the latest update, copy and paste between layers is wonky. If I copy an item from one layer, it will only paste back into that layer. If I make the source layer hidden and try to paste, I get the "attempting to paste to locked/hidden layer" warning. I can select an object, then drag the small box that shows up in the layers panel to a new layer, but this is a bit awkward....

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This behavior is most probably cause by Paste Remembers Layers option, accessible in the Layers panel’s flyout menu.

When it’s enabled, Illustrator tries to paste copied objects into their original layers.

If the option it disabled, but it still does not work as you want it to, please reply back.

2. copy paste text turns to outlines.

coy and pasting text turns random parts of it to outlines. if you option drag the text, it works fine, keeps all the text in tact. this happens even in the same document, other documents.

makes working pretty much impossible between documents and just a pain in the same document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Font compatibility issues between different iOS and Illustrator versions

My one system is on Mojave (10.14.6) running 25.4.8 illustrator. The other system is on Monterey (12.3.1) running 26.5 illustrator. And I have downloaded and installed Petrona font from Google fonts on both the systems.

Now when I try to open the file (that was created on Mojave) on Monterey I'm prompted for missing fonts! This compatibility issue is making it very difficult for me to work across my devices.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. textRange.words counts words wrong in a wrong way

If you try to calculate a number of words and store them for later using textRange.words and a punctuation marks placed one space after the word, as demonstrated in the video, Ai cuts words in wrong places, resulting words being trimmed.

This breaks all scripts that rely on this method.

You have to rename 'words-bug.txt' into 'words-bug.js' and 'words-bug.pdf' to 'words-bug.ai' to test it, since UV does not allow to upload these type formats.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Multiple Artboards X and Y axis not resetting

This is a new issue: normally the X and Y axis reset when you click on an alternate artboard but recently, it's maintain the X and Y of the first artboard. My sample is a 4"x4", 4-artboard layout, and the shape is on artboard 2, horizontal to artboard 1.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Selecting and moving points

When I select a curve that has another element behind, and then try to select a point to move it, most of the time I end up selecting and element behind this point (another curve or layer). So to avoid this I end up locking all element except the one I'm working on it, if I don't end up loosing a lot of time doing this point selection over and over...
    My guess is you should establish some virtual lock while this moving operation are happening, or some priority hierarchy...
    Another problem is while I move the point I'm pressing…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Compound paths not saving

When I make an object a compound path and then save as an SVG, when I go to open the file again, all of the compound paths have reverted to paths. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I've tried an earlier version, I've done everything I can think of and still my SVG files will not retain compound paths. I'm using an M1 MacBook Pro, AI v27.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. GPU acceleration issue

Adobe Illustrator have problem with GPU acceleration.

Some of part of screen disapeared when move object.

BUG tested on graphics card:

GTX 1660
    RTX 3060 TI
    RTX 3080 TI
    Laptop Dell Latitude 5420 with Intel Iris Xe Graphics.

Problem occurs on 2 situations:

When trim view is enabled,
    When project have many object.
    Watch the attached movie.

I think this is global problem which which affects all users.
    Tested on different AI versions.
    I think this bug occurs many, many time earlier.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change case feature not working.

I am trying to change from uppercase to lowercase. Using 26.5.1 (64-bit) version. I wish I had not upgraded as it crashes every few minutes. Steps: highlight text; Type-->Change case-->lowercase. (In the attached video the Type drop down does not appear in the recording; follow the mouse.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Toni, for some reason you have All Caps option enabled in the Character panel for this particular text selection (or rather the whole type on path object).

Once disabled, Ai stops to force the capitalization for it, and the result of Change Case commands start to be visible.

I agree though it can be tough to discover.

If anyone else happen to have this exact problem — please add your votes, so the team can get data on reviewing this in the future.

10. Can't Access a Saved File from a folder in Google Drive

The Issue:
    I saved an illustrator file then closed the program. After some days, I reopened the program. I could see the preview thumbnail showing my latest edit but when I clicked on it to open, it went back to a much earlier version of the file. This has now happened twice. Please help if you have solved this successfully.

Details:
    Illustrator 26.2.1 (64-bit)
    RAM: 12GB
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.81 GHz

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Malwerkzeuge (Pinsel/Buntstift) übernehmen nicht die vorherigen Einstellungen

Ich möchte mit dem Bunststift zeichnen und habe dabei die Kontur, die Farbe und das Profil eingestellt. Beim nächsten Strich werden diese Eigenschaften nicht übernommen. Ich muss jedes mal die Eigenschaften neu auswählen... das kann ja jetzt nicht sein? Das hat vorher einwandfrei funktioniert.
    Wäre sehr dankbar für eine Tipp/Lösung!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Document won't save

Hi there.
    I have been working in a new file I created, and I am unable to save the file. I have tried exporting, and quitting such that illustrator asks if I want to save. Nothing happens. I am stuck here, as I will otherwise loose the work I have done. Any suggestions???

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The problem got solved by resaving the original document and no longer can be reproduced.

If you have a similar issue, try to search for a similar bug report which matches yours exactly or log another one, providing as many details as possible to help the team to investigate it.

13. White-to-black gradients in opacity masks don’t go fully transparent

For opacity masks, 100% White should represent a 100% absence of masking and 100% Black should represent 100% masking (like in Photoshop).

The current system in Illustrator seems very unintuitive and flawed – a basic white to black gradient does not even totally obscure an image/object at one end of the gradient.

It shouldn't be the case that you then have further reduce the opacity of the gradient colours to achieve a standard gradient effect.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Make sure you use RGB black instead of Grayscale black in your gradients when making opacity mask in a RGB-based document to avoid shallow blacks and not fading to a complete zero.

More on that in the comments.

If you happen to have the same problem, please still add a vote to the request, to track statistics.

14. Cannot open AI or EPS files just exported from AI

I'm trying to export some vector files from AI, which I've done countless times before and had no problems...

Right now when I save the file as AI and EPS, it shows up in my saved folder as a blank file. When I open the properties from it's saved folder it still shows as AI, however I'm not able to open it with AI or any other applications.

I'm stumped and don't know what I can do next.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Illustrator changing color values every time I reopen program v 26.0.2

I'm on a brand new MacBook Pro and I'm using illustrator from the cloud version 26.0.2 on Mac Monterey v 12.1. Every time I close out a file and reopen it the hex colors are changed. I have never touched the setting on my colors. I've attached an example below. You can see that when I was previously working in the file I listed the hex code, but now when I open it it is different. Please help. This is making my branding impossible and I'm turning in projects incorrectly as a result.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Problems with scripts and BridgeTalk using Illustrator 25.3.1 on M1 Mac

I have a handful of scripts that have stopped working after switching from an Intel Mac mini to an M1 Mac mini. The scripts will run as expected if I use the Intel version of Illustrator on the M1 Mac mini, but they return this error when run using the M1 version of Illustrator on the same machine "TARGET COULD NOT BE LAUNCHED(59)". The current culprit seems to be BridgeTalk. Any help would be appreciated, thx!

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Importing CAD DXF files: Unknown Format and Cannot Be Opened

I am using Illustrator 2020 on a Windows 10 computer.
    We import CAD files in DXF format to create AI files for our graphics department to use. We are successful when importing ACAD2000 DXF files, but have problems with more recent versions. Elements drop off when importing ACAD2004, 2007, 2010 DXF files. When trying to import ACAD2013 and 2018 CAD files I get the message "Unknown Format and Cannot Be Opened".

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.x which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

18. CMYK Files Colors are Displaying as RGB in Illustrator 2022 Version 26.0.1

(Illustrator 2022) Open a new CMYK file, create a box, color Breakdown "87-75-0-0 "select the same CMYK color Breakdown "87-75-0-0 " (In Color Picker) that is clearly showing a darker color then what is behind the open select box.

Screen Shot 2
    Open a new CMYK file in Illustrator (2021). Same process as above, now CMYK colors appear correct.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Object horizontal and vertical measurements are swapped in tool bar

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    Processor: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
    Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)
    Adobe Illustrator 26.0.2

When selecting an object, like a rectangle, the horizontal and vertical measurements in the tool bar are swapped. They appear correctly in the Transform window.

For example, a horizontal rectangle could be 7pt x 5pt, but when selected in the tool bar it shows 5 in the <--> dialog box and 7 in the vertical box.

I have restarted my computer and restarted illustrator.
    See screen caps below.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment:

Illustrator allows to access dimensions of an object as well as dimensions of a live shape. In case when a shape is rotated by 90° the shape’s size values can look swapped compared to measured sizes. It’s like tilting a head. See attached images inside for clarifications.

20. Pen Tool: Close path Changes Handles

Mac Mojave 10.14.6
    Illustrator 25.4.1

When drawing with the pen tool, closing paths changes the initial path/handles drawn. This occurs every time the initial point plotted is a "click and drag."

I tried to upload a screen recording (.mov) but it won't let me.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base