Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

15 results found

1. Error to open/import .DXF format archives in latest update version (error 2067)

I work in textile area, and we need to import .dxf archives from Audaces program. I've never had problems, until the latest update version. I can't import this extension, it appears the unknown error message number "2067".

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator uses Autocad library licensed from Autodesk for open/import DXF files. The DXF/DWG files that are showing error during open/import are mal-formed, they are not created adhering to file format specification. Autocad application also does not open these files.

Illustrator versions 24 and below use to open/import these files as the library used was a different one and it did not strictly check the dxf/dwg files for conformance. The same library did not had support for the some of the recent OS upgrades, resulting in Illustrator switching to Autocad library from Autodesk for open/import of dxf/dwg files.

Please report such files to the application that create these files, so that the same can be fixed by them in future release.

Any of the dxf/dwg file that could open in Autocad but not in Illustrator then those are bugs that will be fixed. If you have any such case, please report…

2. Bring back progress bar for saving AI files

Can we please go back to having a progress bar when saving an AI file? The saving in the background is nice, but the saving percentage text just doesn't do it for me, plus, the pop-up dialog box that comes up while saving is very annoying.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Export for Screens: pre-export settings for PNG and JPG are same, but post-export JPG resolutions vary

This is odd. I'm in Illustrator 2020 (24.0.1).

I have a .ai doc open.

I go to File->Export->Export for Screens...

Under the Artboards tab, I set up PNGs and JPG 100s, at various scales using Width as the variable. (See Export for Screens Screenshot)

I hit the Export Artboard button, and am notified of success.

I go to Bridge to examine the results. (See Adobe Bridge Screenshot)

The exported PNGs all have resolutions of 72 ppi (expected, good result).

The exported JPGs have varying resolutions, from 12 to 72 ppi (unexpected, bad result).

Why would that happen? Why don't all…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Illustrator Known Issue - Adobe Illustrator crash when run running around 30 minutes on multiple document.

Hello Adobe Team,
    There is known issue on Page 13 of the below link

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/illustrator/pdf/AI_ScriptGd_2017.pdf

In our process we work around 2000 to 2500 documents in one go. Could you guys address this issue as soon as possible.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Problem described in this thread arises due to using a single script for processing thousands of files without changing the context.

A single script is executed in a single context inside the Illustrator application and we don’t have any mechanism to pause the script for changing the context thus allowing the OS to recover the resources used in this context.

So instead of using a loop inside the script that is being executed inside the Illustrator application, we are suggesting to use CEP extensions and sending the script to Illustrator for execution in the loop. Now the user can create a string that may contain all the commands that need to be done for a single document and can have loops in the CEP extension to create these strings for each document and send a signal to Illustrator for the execution of these commands. In this fashion user can process…

5. Exporting SVG using different methods provides different results

When exporting as an svg using the native "Export, export for screens" Adobe exports the svg as an svg 1.0.

Which isn't as commonly supported as svg 1.1

However, if a user opens that same svg in illustrator and bypasses the export as, and just does cmd + s, it becomes an svg 1.1

It would be useful to always have the same format rather than different ones. Preferably always save as svg 1.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a lot for reaching out to the Illustrator team. As a matter of fact, the newer SVG2 specification does no longer use versions anymore.

The main reason is that all modern SVG import tools/browsers ignored the version number and just open with what ever is in the SVG file.

Due to the implementation behaviour and the spec change and to reduce file size, all export scenarios do no longer export with a “version” attribute. That does NOT mean that SVG files get interpreted as version 1.0! The exported features matter not the version number.

We will update the Save as (CMD+S) route in the future to follow the pattern of SVG export.

Thanks,
    Dirk

6. Google Drive File Stream is corrupting AI CC 2019 files

To reproduce the issue…

1. Open an AI file on my Google Drive Stream.
    2. Save the file
    3. Try to reopen file. Error message appears. "The file logo.ai is in an unknown format and cannot be opened"

AI CC 2019, MacOS 10.14.2 (18C54)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. can't open files with cloud & arrow symbol

I use MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.6, I've recently noticed that when I try to open up older files (couple of years old) I get a cloud with a downwards facing arrow. I am unable to open these files though I can preview them. any ideas how I can open them please, thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Ashutosh Chaturvedi responded

The downward cloud icon that you are referring to is a state when the file is present on the cloud but not present on your hard drive. Please download the file to your computer to access it.

8. Extremely slow "export for screens" and saving

I'm suffering a performance reduction in my workflow thanks to the latest update (23.0). I usually have at least five artboards per file project--sometimes up to 20. I used to export designs within 30 seconds and now it takes up to 5 minutes.

I haven't change anything in terms of hardware or workflow. My exports are slow no matter if the file goes to the server or to my hard drive. This is driving me crazy!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. AI 22.1 Open single page of multipage PDF now a 2-step process?

WHY, of WHY did you ***** this up? Formerly you could open a single page of a multipage PDF by simply clicking the arrows under the thumbnail. Once you found the page you want, you click open and there it is. Now, no matter what you do, the Pages Range is stuck on 1-1 (of xx). You now have to type in the number. PITA! Please fix this back to the old way.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With the introduction of multipage PDF open it is not possible for us to tie the range field to the thumbnail previews. It is not possible for us to predict the user intent just based on previews he/she has seen. Here is one example user preview pages 1 to 3 and then decided to open pages 1-2.

10. "To preserve appearance some text has been outlined"

I recently sent a PDF file generated from InDesign (CC2018) to a book manufacturer from which they were to make a brass die to stamp a binding, just as I have done for about twenty years. A proof was sent back to me in which the 1/2pt rules had thickened to about 3pts and some of the type had thickened, too. I complained and they sent me another proof, in which the rules were ok, but most of the type had thickened.

I wondered how this could have happened, so I did some experiments. I opened the PDF in Illustrator…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Cannot rename new or old folders in save dialogue

Used to be able to create a folder inside the save dialogue with a specific name. Not anymore. And i cannot change a folders name either. I am running a PC.

1. Version Illustrator CC latest build 22.0.1
    2. Save as -> Create folder->New folder
    3. Ability to name folders.
    4. Folder says New folder and stays like that.

Really buggy behaviour

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

12. Saving AI to EPS produces 2 EPS "clones"

Standard procedure in my Art Dept. is to save AI files as EPS when going to press. This includes outlining all fonts and embedding all images.

For at least the last several months, I've often found that when I save an AI file as an EPS, it creates two nearly identical EPS "clones"...meaning they have virtually the same file name but are slightly different in size. An example result for saving "file_name.ai" would be:

filename.eps
    file
    name-01.eps

In all cases, the file without the "-01" would be slightly smaller in size (i.e., 4.3MB compared to 4.6MB), but aside from…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. save as OR save a copy using artboards does not save separate artboard files at all.

Only export works as expected. But if you want to save each artboard as PDF it does not.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. error that it was modified in another app

1. Open file and make a few changes
    2. leave file open for a while
    3. Try and save file and get error that it was modified in another app
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The issue is file sync services lock the file while syncing to their servers. At this point of time we do not support this workflow.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base