Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

649 results found

1. Lock/unlock width and height while scaling

If I have a rectangle for example and I unlock the width and height so that I can change the values separately, If I change the width or height (size) the object transforms proportionally.

Example:

Object 500 H x 500 W px (locked):
    If I change H -50px I get 450 H x 450 W px.

Problem

Object 500 H x 500 W px (Unlocked):
    If I change H -50px I expected to get 450 H x 500 W px.
    But what I get is 450 H x 450 W px.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 2019 Not Responding when opening file & Slow on Start MACOS Mohave 10.14.1

1. Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 2019 / MACOS Mohave 10.14.1 2.1 Slow or Not Responding - Launch Adobe Illustrator - by clicking on icon in dock or in applications folder 2.2 If it launches - Click on Open from Dashboard and try to open a file - it becomes non-responsive or takes forever. 2.2.1 Tried opening ai files (any of them I have) directly- same issue 2.2.1 Tried to command copy and save to change location I have filed stored - it copies to new location, including adobe cloud, same issue 2.2.3 New files never show up in recent files on…
    27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

3. ILLUSTRATOR CRUSHES WHEN I CLICK ON THE BRUSH TOOL.

Illustrator crushes everytime I click on the brush tool. I have reinstalled the Illustrator and its not working. I am using a hp z800 running windows 10 with Nvidia Quadro K2000 as my gpu. Please Please Help

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Illustrator won't open any files

Since the new update I am completely unable to open any AI or PDF file in Illustrator. Nothing will open, just the rainbow ball of death forever until I have to Force Quit. I've uninstalled Illustrator and even installed earlier versions with no luck. I've 'repaired' Creative Cloud with also no luck.

I'm working on MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Illustrator v23

A couple times I've gotten an error message that says: "cannot open ___ file because this file does not exist."

Please help!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

5. Command-s save reverts back a few steps

Sometimes saving the document (command-s) causes it to revert a few steps back. WHAT? What is going on with all this weirdness!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,

6. Selection tool acting like Direct selection tool and vice versa

Selection tool does not select all points and will not move a group of objects correctly, (it acts like the Direct Selection tool, not selecting all points). And the Direct Selection tool selects ALL points of a group and moves them, which is what the Selection tool is supposed to do. They are working exactly opposite as they should. "Show Bounding box" does not resolve this issue. The Selection tool has also instantly changed format of text simply upon selection (indent & tracking). Using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, Illustrator CC 2019. This is a bad bug, please help.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

7. Creating new document blocked / or the whole illustartor blocked

1. User is having some item selected on currently opened document,
    2. Press on create a new document (shortcut on from the menu),
    3. Window with new document properties pops up,
    4. When user clicks - return key too fast, creating new document gets blocked
    5. Reason for that is that under create new document window illustrator show "move window" (see srceen).
    6. To proceed with creating new document you have to close the create new document window and move window and again go back to create new...
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

8. windows maximize only takes a 1/4th of the screen

whenever I full-screen illustrator flashes to fill the entire window then only fills the top left 1/4th of the window.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

9. Illustrator v23.01 will not open subsequent vector files via Indesign, Bridge or directly from a folder.

When I try to "Edit with" in InDesign or open a vector file via Bridge or directly from the folder, it opens the file for the first time on launching the software, however if I try to open files again while Illustrator is up and running, it will not open. I then have to quit Illustrator to open the file. This is counter productive as I have to do this even when i have to make a small edit or move/delete an object. Especially when I'm working on multiple graphs, etc.

My fix for now is to revert back to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

10. Can't put objects exactly in the middle of another object

At first I thouht it was an alignment problem, then i looked up to help videos but none of them solves my problem. I want to put a figure for example a square, then I want to put another square to have the exact triangle of that square but it won't let me make another figure exactly in the middle, it always goes left or right but not center. Help please!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Artwork won't display on artboard, but in the layers panel, navigator etc.

AI 23.0.1 / MacOS 10.14.2

When an additional file is opened it sometimes shows the content of a previously opened file on the artboard.
    In the layers panel or the navigator the correct content is displayed.
    Also upon undocking the tab the correct content is displayed.
    Only workaround I found so far is restarting AI.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. CANT

Since the last update.. Every time I try to trace & make something. I get this error message "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. CANT" then the placed image I tried to trace disappears and only an empty selection box remains. If i do "undo" the image will return. How come I cannot trace anymore? What can I do to fix it?

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow a custom swatch palette to be the AI default without using "Legacy File>New"

Unless I've missed something, it is not possible to use a custom swatch palette as the AI default for all new documents without using the "Use Legacy File>New" feature. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get my custom palette to be the default. Using the standard (non-Legacy) new document feature, I always have to navigate down through the menu to choose my custom swatches, and then it only applies to that one new document. About 99% of what I do is spot color artwork for silkscreen printing, so the AI default CMYK swatch palette is useless to me.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Very long loading splash screen after update 23.0.1

After newest update 23.01 splash screen freeze on trying to initialise SmartEditUI.aip for few minutes (and crash if I try click on it at this time)

This only happens at the first time start.

On the adobe forum I see that people have the same problem
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2550614

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

15. Could not read file because the plug in did not understand this file

Hi,

Illustrator was working fine, suddenly crashed and now says: 'Could not read the file because the plugin did not understand this file' everytime I try to launch.

I had alot of vectors on the document and several artboards and copies of work, some complex shapes and masks ect. Some of the some of the shapes which were masks in groups were clipping images, some of these clipping mask groups had been copied across documents and had missing links, which may be part of the problem.

Upon launching Illustrator a dialogue box appears and asks to 'replace' or 'ignore' the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Unoperational

I'm trying to use Illustrator CC and nothing in the program is responding, everything is greyed out. There is no indication from the program that anything is wrong with it. I have downloaded the latest update and this is the first time I have had such an issue with the program.

MacOS Mojave
    Memory 32Gb

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Illustrator WILL NOT display art OR artboards.

How about making Illustrator useable for starters?
    I pay enough for this service. I have done a full update and restart of my computer, all of my adobe products are up to date, AND I've uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator.
    This is what I get when I open a new document. Show artboards is on. NOTHING comes up despite using ALL of the fixes I can find in your boards.

I expect a service I drop $700 a year on to actually WORK Adobe.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. blendtool

Hi Adobe,

I downloaded the new illustrator, 2019 version. Happy to see that the eyedropper tool can adopt colors from images again.
    However the BlendTool seems to be different. In earlier versions it was possible to ajust the line on which you blended certain shapes... It appeared between the shapes as a loose vector line. This line is gone now, the only thing I can ajust are the shapes which I blended.. Can you guys fix this again in an update?

Thanks! Bjorn.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. color mix

Using Adobe Illustrator 23.0.1 CC 2019. My CMYK color 100-85-0-0 changes to 99.17-83.58-1.74-0.02. My document color mode is set to CMYK. How do I keep original l color mix?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Guides disappear until file is reopened

I've created an isometric grid for illustration and converted the grid lines to guides. When I leave my document open for a while (maybe an hour or more) and come back to it after a lull in activity, my guides seem to be gone. The "Guides" item in the "View" menu is grayed out, and the keyboard shortcut Cmd+Shift+; to toggle guides on and off does not work. Nothing is hidden or locked in my document. Closing and reopening the document immediately fixes the issue, with guides toggling on off when prompted. There's clearly a bug here, figured I should…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 32 33
  • Don't see your idea?