Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop)
  2. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. black screen problem

When creating a new document or opening an existing document in Illustrator, I get a black screen (see attached). I have to resize the window to be able to work. This is not ok.
    Version 22.1, MacOS 10.13.3, MacBook Pro with external monitor as main screen.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Uninstalling Duet Display fixes Premiere and Illustrator crash on file open and file create

I spent an hour trying to get Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Premiere to simply open a file or create a new file. They would both crash immediately with the dialogue box that sends a crash report.

I uninstalled without saving settings and reinstalled both. I also ran the Adobe CC Cleaner tool These made no difference.

Finally, on a hunch I uninstalled Duet Display, a program that allows you to use an iOS device as a second monitor. This fixed the issue.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  9 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tool panels are enlarged or scaled up

Updated to Illustrator 2019 - workspace panels have increased dramatically in size - see screen grab of Illustrator and the same area in photoshop.

Solutions helpful as I cannot have as many panel open as they now take up so much space!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  10 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Text always shows as black

Sometimes, when I apply color to a text box (using the swatches or the eyedropper) the color shown on screen is black even though in the Appearance panel the Fill is the one I applied.
    I made a screenshot (attached) to demonstrate

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

The attached screenshot displays the FILL color underneath the CHARACTERS in the APPEARANCE panel therefore any change applied to the FILL will not be displayed, to display it correctly please move the FILL color row on top of the CHARACTER row (Click & Drag) in the Appearance panel.

Hope this helps to resolve this issue.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

6. Welcome screen Illustrator CC 2019

Customize the Welcome Back screen: Right now the "Start a new file fast" screen shows various options including an A4. I'm not in the EU. Where's the US Letter size? That would make the most sense in the US. Where can I edit that group? How do I clear the list of most recent?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Resolved  ·  Ashutosh Chaturvedi responded

You can do cmd/ctrl + N, select print section and go to A4. You will find the A4 size in the unit you want.

7. Can't work on a server - crashing and not saving files

I recently updated my OS to High Sierra V. 10.13.3 and have Illustrator CC18 22.0.1. I work on a server and at first, every time I tried to resave a file for the second time it would crash. Now all of a sudden I am able to save once and when I try to save the second time it says it can't and I have to save the file with a new name. It also keeps making .tmp files. If I work off of my server on my desktop this does not happen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remebering fractional values in Extrude & Bevel

You can type in fractional values in Extrude & Bevel and they work fine, although AI rounds them up immediately in fields, though applies to the art.
    But when you try to save this appearance in Graphic style and then re-apply to another art, all fractional bits are gone, AI treats them as integers both ways.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Sorry about the issue, but the feature works that ways.

1) On applying Effects in fractional values, it gets applied immediately. While saving this appearance in Graphic style and then re-apply to another art it will work the same (as with fractional values)

2) While trying to edit already applied effects, the input details get’s rounded off. As a result, you have to enter fractional values for the precision.

I hope this info will be helpful.
    Incase you still face any issue get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Thanks

9. Cannot close main application window with keyboard shortcut

When there are no documents open, it's apparently not possible to close the application window from the keyboard (e.g. with the traditional shortcut Cmd+W). The Close option is disabled in the File menu.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Workspace toolbars disappearing

Ai CC 2019 - all of a sudden all the toolbars have disappeared and won't stay reinstated. Workspace will not reset nor change modes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please reset your preferences and upgrade to latest release 23.0.2 we have fixed the toolbar issue there.

11. No de-selection of gradient Point / Appearance panel behaviour in AI23

If I edited a gradient point once, the selected point stays selected forever. I is possible for me to select another gradient point, but not de-select the point.

Why would this be necessary?
    Because, when I edit some stacked layers of gradients in the appearance panel (what I do very often), the editing of the gradient hides the complete appearance, showing only the highlighted color swatch of the gradient point in the appearance panel.
    The only way to get the whole appearance visible again in the panel, is to swith to another tool (i.e. selection tool). This is very time…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Possible Bug - Crop Image Auto Resizing Crop Box in New CC Illustrator 2019

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a poorly executed new feature, but in the new Illustrator CC 2019 when you have a raster image in the file and you go to "Crop Image" the crop marquee automatically changes to a random size and shape instead of remaining at the edges of the image. I'm not sure if there is some hidden feature where it is trying to automatically detect where you might crop the image to by detecting the image edges, but this is super annoying when you are trying to do something like just adjusting…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You are referring to the content aware crop feature: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html#ContentAwareCrop

To turn this feature off please visit the Preference dialog (CMD+K) and turn off “Enable Content Aware defaults”

If I may suggest a workflow for you.
    1. Use linked images, they not only are fast but also save disk space.
    2. If you already have embedded images in your file, please use the unembed feature of Illustrator to export and link files automatically for you.
    3. All linked images have this feature of Edit Original where you can edit images in a software of your choice like Photoshop.
    4. If you have to share files to other users please make use of File menu>Package feature to collect everything including linked images and fonts in one directory.

13. Oversize UI Elements in Ai 2019

I noticed that with the 2019 version of Illustrator (23.0), the entire UI of the software seems to be "supersized." It is as if every pixel is now rendered oversized. Not just in the drawing area, but all the tools, controls, panels, everything.

I've attached a "full screen" screen shot of the 2019 (v. 23.0) welcome screen, and the (reinstalled) 2018 (v. 22.1) welcome screen. Both are maximized on the same physical screen, the display on my MacBook Pro. See how the buttons and other elements are larger in the 2019 version? Like it is somehow zoomed in.

I do…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Freeform Gradient doesn't transform correctly High Sierra (macOS 10.13)

Freeform Gradient points should transform relative to path. Gradient does not transform as expected.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Freeform gradiets work with a limitation moment the gradient point goes outside the object boundary the freeform gradient doffusion point is deleted.

15. saved workspace not the same after 22.1 update

After 22.1 update my workspace is missing saved tool of Symbol, Brush, & Graphic style libraries. Only cloud character library is okay. Reset workspace in menu doesn't work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Sellection tool won't let me resize shapes

I installed the new version of illustrator and since that I can´t resize shapes, text boxes, basically everything...
    I've alredy tried to uninstall and reinstall and I can´t still resize shapes
    can anybody help?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Keyboard shortcut

1. In version 22.1 there is no anymore option for Type —> Change Case —> UPPERCASE in Keyboard Shortcuts.

2. I miss that Shortcut, that's all.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Font drop down not showing

My font list has started to not show. Im not sure what is causing it as it was ok then suddenly it stopped showing. Please see the attached file for more.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  3 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Image File open but not showing up

When using the latest version of Illustrator cc I open vector images the image file opens however it is not visible, I do get visibility briefly when the file is shut down or resized from maximised within the program. It is only a fleeting view and disappears again when reopened or maximised?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved  ·  2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Cannot open Illustrator after updating to version 24.1.2. Windows 7 reports an error "missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll". (The 24.1.1 is ok)

Cannot open Illustrator after updating to version 24.1.2.

Windows 7 reports an error "missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll".

(The older version 24.1.1 works fine after downlaoding.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base