Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Tool panels are enlarged or scaled up

Updated to Illustrator 2019 - workspace panels have increased dramatically in size - see screen grab of Illustrator and the same area in photoshop.

Solutions helpful as I cannot have as many panel open as they now take up so much space!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Cannot copy from one layer and. paste to another....

After the latest update, copy and paste between layers is wonky. If I copy an item from one layer, it will only paste back into that layer. If I make the source layer hidden and try to paste, I get the "attempting to paste to locked/hidden layer" warning. I can select an object, then drag the small box that shows up in the layers panel to a new layer, but this is a bit awkward....

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This behavior is most probably cause by Paste Remembers Layers option, accessible in the Layers panel’s flyout menu.

When it’s enabled, Illustrator tries to paste copied objects into their original layers.

If the option it disabled, but it still does not work as you want it to, please reply back.

4. Hide edges not working

When choosing to hide edges of selected objects, 1 or more objects still have edges visible. I have resorted to back saving my documents as this feature is crucial for layouts.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As far as I know, the auto-keying an object in a selection was a bug introduced in one of versions, not caught in time and slipped into the release, later fixed.

Since no object is forced as a key right now, I assume there is no need in having its bold outline to be hidden when Hide Edges is active, since these two factors rarely meet... However, if you have a workflow that requires to have both — I encourage you to file it as a feature request with some examples.

5. Rectangle tool draws slightly rotated rectangle

Update 24.2 - When drawing a rectangle (by selecting the rectangle tool, clicking on the artboard, and entering desired dimensions), the resulting rectangle is slightly rotated, skewed or tilted. It's not noticeable until it's viewed in outline mode.
    To confirm this, I create a 1" x 1" square with the rectangle tool. Then drag the ruler origin to the top left anchor point. The transform palette confirms this anchor point is at x=0, y=0 (as expected). Then I select the top right anchor point and see that its coordinates are x=1, y=-.0022. The y-value should be 0.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Gradient stroke cannot be cut and pasted.

Reproduction:

1. Draw a path with a gradient stroke and no fill.
    2. Select and cut or copy the path.
    3. Paste. Normally, In Front, Behind, or In Place.
    4. The expected result is, of course, a new copy of this gradient-stroked path.
    5. Actual results range from a copy of the path with the stroke expanded, an image that was cut and paste sometime last week, or an error popup that says "This operation cannot complete because of an unknown error [PDF!]"

Seen on OSX 10.14.6 with AI 24.1 and AI 24.1.2.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment from the OP, the LaunchBar clipboard manager seems to not be compatible the Illustrator format. The same happens with other clipboards managers, including the default one for Windows. However, there are reports it used to work with previous versions of Illustrator. If you have more details on this, or the same problem, — please comment.

7. Remebering fractional values in Extrude & Bevel

You can type in fractional values in Extrude & Bevel and they work fine, although AI rounds them up immediately in fields, though applies to the art.
    But when you try to save this appearance in Graphic style and then re-apply to another art, all fractional bits are gone, AI treats them as integers both ways.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Sorry about the issue, but the feature works that ways.

1) On applying Effects in fractional values, it gets applied immediately. While saving this appearance in Graphic style and then re-apply to another art it will work the same (as with fractional values)

2) While trying to edit already applied effects, the input details get’s rounded off. As a result, you have to enter fractional values for the precision.

I hope this info will be helpful.
    Incase you still face any issue get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Thanks

8. Can't select multiple anchor points with direct selection tool

The Direct Selection Tool does not select anchor points. When the DS tool hovers over object, the outline appears, but no anchor points appear. Neither can be selected and activated. When DS tool hovers over an anchor point, I can move that one point only. DS tool behaves exactly same as Anchor Point Tool. I cannot select several anchor points at once, and move / align / delete / distribute / join them. Win 10.1903 AI 24.0

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Properties panel auto select field contents

Illustrator v24.0
    Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Since the Properties panel was introduced in Illustrator, it won't allow selecting an item, then click once on a field name, such as W for the width field, and automatically select the contents of the field so you can then just enter a new value or use the arrow keys to change the value.

It works fine in the Control bar and other panels, just not in Properties.
    It works in the Properties panels of InDesign and Photoshop, as well.
    Was hoping it would be fixed in Illustrator 2020, but still not.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Pixel number inconsistency

Windows 10? (most recent and just updated yesterday)
    Illustrator 22.1 (64bit)

When I told Illustrator to create an artboard of 350x350 pixels, I thought it could actually do so. That was the template image size that our web designer propogated across our entire website.

Then I exported 11 images from Illustrator to .png format to re-build one of our webpages. They came out as 1459x1459. Now I will resize them in Microsoft Paint. They'll pixelate and probably look like trash. All because Illustrator can't understand "350 pixels x 350 pixels" on the Create New prompt window.

Flaming dumpster fire. I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to ensure your pixel-sized document stays the same size after export is to use the default screen resolution — 72 PPI.

If you set anything else, Illustrator will scale the image  accordingly (as if the 'Resample' option in Photoshop is ticked when you resize an image).

There is no way to write a custom resolution AND maintain the desired size at the same time.

The reasoning behind this behaviour is that the resolution value is supposed irrelevant when an image’s intent is Screen or Web. An image can have no resolution value stored in it at all, it’s just an optional coefficient, and then different viewers and editors suppose a value on their own — usually 72 PPI (Mac-style) or 96 PPI (Windows-style).

Unlike other editors, Illustrator has a continuous range for all measurements units. One pixel is considered to be equal one point, and a point…

11. Text always shows as black

Sometimes, when I apply color to a text box (using the swatches or the eyedropper) the color shown on screen is black even though in the Appearance panel the Fill is the one I applied.
    I made a screenshot (attached) to demonstrate

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

The attached screenshot displays the FILL color underneath the CHARACTERS in the APPEARANCE panel therefore any change applied to the FILL will not be displayed, to display it correctly please move the FILL color row on top of the CHARACTER row (Click & Drag) in the Appearance panel.

Hope this helps to resolve this issue.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

12. Tools move in tool bar, I need to reset tool bar back to default but then moves again with 2/3 mins of working. Please advise. Thanks.

Tools move in tool bar, I need to reset tool bar back to default but then moves again with 2/3 mins of working. Please advise. Thanks.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Welcome screen Illustrator CC 2019

Customize the Welcome Back screen: Right now the "Start a new file fast" screen shows various options including an A4. I'm not in the EU. Where's the US Letter size? That would make the most sense in the US. Where can I edit that group? How do I clear the list of most recent?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. The interface UI font fails to follow the Windows system settings. A lot of serif fonts are used in

The interface UI font fails to follow the Windows system settings. A lot of serif fonts are used in Chinese, making it very difficult to distinguish.

The red part does not follow the operating system font, and the blue part correctly follows the operating system font. In Chinese Windows, the default font of the operating system is "Microsoft Yahei"

https://community.adobe.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/647274i34CCB4C6B92C28D8/image-size/original/is-moderation-mode/true?v=v2&px=-1

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Document won't save

Hi there.
    I have been working in a new file I created, and I am unable to save the file. I have tried exporting, and quitting such that illustrator asks if I want to save. Nothing happens. I am stuck here, as I will otherwise loose the work I have done. Any suggestions???

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The problem got solved by resaving the original document and no longer can be reproduced.

If you have a similar issue, try to search for a similar bug report which matches yours exactly or log another one, providing as many details as possible to help the team to investigate it.

16. My knife tool is missing

The knife tool has been below the scissors before, but now its gone ... Why?
    (see image below)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The tool is still there, but he team decided to hide the Knife tool from the Basic toolbar, based on the usage statistics, aiming to reduce clutter for new users.

You can still access it. There are two options:

1. Go to Window > Toolbars and pick Advanced, to view the classic tool layout, including all plugin tools added.

2. Press Edit Toolbar button at the bottom of your current toolbar (with three dots), find the Knife there (it’s the last one in the Modify section), and drag it into the panel in the slot you find fitting (be careful not to insert it into a tool-group by mistake, it’s a tight wiggle).

17. Stop asking about switching to the Touch interface

I have a laptop with a touch screen (that I never use, and never intend to use). Every time I open Illustrator, it tells me that it has detected that I am using a touch enabled screen and asks if I want to switch. I would be VERY appreciative if you could make this pop up with a "don't ask me again on this computer" checkbox as it is really annoying as it not always obvious that it has popped up and it makes the screen unresponsive.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Sorry to hear that this dialog was annoying you so much. I am glad to share that this has been removed from the latest release of Illustrator. Please upgrade to latest version to get rid of this issue.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

18. saved workspace not the same after 22.1 update

After 22.1 update my workspace is missing saved tool of Symbol, Brush, & Graphic style libraries. Only cloud character library is okay. Reset workspace in menu doesn't work.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Selection tool, bounding box

Square did not fill with the fill color I selected. The objects are all pixelated and not clear. Bounding boxes keep disappearing. Objects moving back to previous positions.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can't work on a server - crashing and not saving files

I recently updated my OS to High Sierra V. 10.13.3 and have Illustrator CC18 22.0.1. I work on a server and at first, every time I tried to resave a file for the second time it would crash. Now all of a sudden I am able to save once and when I try to save the second time it says it can't and I have to save the file with a new name. It also keeps making .tmp files. If I work off of my server on my desktop this does not happen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base