Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

364 results found

1. Unable to import SVG textPath

Illustrator is able to export SVGs using the <textPath> element for use in browsers. However, it is unable to import SVGs using the <textPath> element - instead of importing them properly, it puts each glyph in the appropriate position along the path, but it doesn't rotate the glyphs.

The workaround is to generate SVGs with "expanded" outlines for text, but this leads to much larger SVG files, with a loss of editability.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.0.1 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

3. Illustrator 2020 (24.2.1) crashes when saving eps file

Illustrator 2020 (24.2.1) crashes with the following steps.

1. Apply a calligraphic brush to the path
    2. Save the document in [Illustrator CS EPS] or older format and close it
    3. Open the document from step 2 and save it again

Confirmation environment
    OS: macOS 10.15 (Catalina), macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
    Illustrator: v24.2.1

Stock illustration services often require Illustrator 10 EPS, so we expect corrections.

Illustrator 2020(24.2.1)が,次の手順でクラッシュします。

1. パスにカリグラフィブラシを適用する
    2. 書類を[Illustrator CS EPS]かそれより古い形式で保存し,閉じる
    3. ステップ2の書類を開き,再び保存する

確認環境
    OS: macOS 10.15 (Catalina), macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
    Illustrator: v24.2.1

ストックイラストサービスではIllustrator 10 EPSを要求されることが多いため,修正を期待しています。

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. MAC: System has run out of memory and force quits - Activity Monitor shows > 100GB

After launching Illustrator it will force quit with an error message "your system has run out of application memory." I have 8GB of memory and no other applications are open or running when I launch Illustrator. I am noticing in the activity monitor that illustrator is using a large amount of memory, extremely higher that usual. This started happening a few days ago and I have no changes to my OS or updates to Illustrator CC

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

5. Fonts - scrolling through list

What did you do to the font list??????

I don't even know how to describe the issue. I just know it's wrong. And messed up. And needs to be fixed!

Let me see if I can describe my complaint:

1) In the CHARACTER pallet: if you highlight the font name and begin typing another font name, I used to be able to put the first few characters (or even just the first letter), then click on the down arrow and it would bring me to that place in my list of fonts.

For example, I could type “HEL” and it…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

6. Extended top and bottom of glyphs of variable fonts are not rendered

Vertically long glyphs with variable font are not rendered at the top and bottom. Please see attached file.
    When the character size is small or when the zoom ratio is small, all rendering is done normally.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

7. Save a Copy in same folder of AI file (like before)

Save a Copy in same folder of AI file (like before)

Since the update to 22.0, the behaviour of “Save a copy” has changed so as to present the last-browsed folder destination in Windows Explorer. Previously this defaulted to the location of the working file.

This is interrupting workflow considerably. I’m sure I am not alone in saving PDF copies of artwork in profess, for discussion with colleagues and clients. This used to be a couple of keystrokes but now I have to remember to browse back to the working file location each time.

In summary:

Expected Result: Explorer window…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

8. Unable to save

This is not an idea, it is a serious bug.
    Apple OS Mojave - latest version, Illustrator 2022 - latest version.

Saving doesn't happen. Clicking File>Save As and nothing happens, no dialogue pops up, nothing. Trying shortcuts on the keyboard. Same. Trying to quit the program, shows File not saved/ I click Save FIle and it does nothing. So, unless I force quit, there is no way to close the program. Illustrator seems to not initiate any action on my attempts to perform a SAVE. It is a HUGE problem for my work!

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Illustrator 24.1 metric precision broken

So there was a new release Illustrator 24.1 the other day which I installed. Unfortunately, it looks like the engineers messed up and semi-broke the conversion routines from inches or whatever measurement is used internally to the metric units displayed to me as the user.

What used to be displayed as nice whole numbers or up to a maximum of three decimals, is now never an even number and always displayed with four decimals. Just to take an example, a dimension clearly intended to be precisely 10 mm is now displayed as say 9.9998 mm or 10.0003 mm.

This is…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.2.0 which is available worldwide now.

10. Gradient Annotator tool bug on Groups

Gradient Annotator tool is not visible for some objects but it is for others. See screen shot: visible on the rectangle, but when I edit the gradient of the compound shape, the annotator is not visible.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.3.0 which is available worldwide now.

11. Unable to uncheck Type Pref Indic options & Fill object with placeholder text on preference migration from 22.1

1. MacOS Sierra ; Illustrator CC 23.0.1
    2. I'm trying to get the punctuation right while typing in Hindi, but I can't select "Indic Options". I went to Preferences>Type>Language Options. I can select "Show East Asian Options" but i can't seem to select "Show Indic Options" which is a bug.
    3. I expected to type correctly in Hindi
    4. I can't type in Hindi with the right punctuation and I'm on a strict deadline! Help
    25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. text handling still a mess in 22.1

Text handling in the 22.1 build - meaning the interactions between the Paragraph, Character, Paragraph Styles, and Character Styles panels - is still fraught with bugs and/or undesired oddity compared to previous versions. (2015.3 being the last completely -- or mostly -- working version.)

Open Illustrator 22.1 (Windows) and create a new blank document.

Draw a text box and fill it with placeholder text.

Create a new paragraph style (‘body text’) and set the font, size, and leading to something different from the default. (e.g. font: 10pt Avenir LT Std Book, 16pt leading).

PROBLEM 1: Select a word or words…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.

Warm Regards,

13. Switching between files doesn't work properly - or at all

See the attached video. I have two files open. The second file I opened does not display. When I click on the file tab I still have the previous file displayed. Regardless of which file is active, I can only edit one. I can't even see the other. They are two completely different projects - they do not look the same. You are only seeing one file in this video, despite which one I select. I have to quite and restart, losing any changes I may have in the one file I cannot see.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.3.0 which is available worldwide now.

14. Maintain width and Height Proportions bug

This has been a bug for at least a version or two: draw a shape, go to transform it in the Properties panel, and even though the "Maintain width and Height Properties" icon indicates "not constrained", adjusting one of the dimensions adjusts the other proportionally. This seems to happen only in a fresh file (perhaps fresh launch of Illustrator), and once I click and unclick the Constrain button once, it doesn't recur in that session.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0gqadn2lezzq7n/Constraint%20bug.mov?dl=0

So in the screen grab above, I draw a box freehand, then in the Properties panel, begin adjusting the height with my arrow keys.…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.1.0 which is available worldwide now.

15. ヒストリー項目が正しく表示されない

問題の説明:
    MacOS10.15.7 IllustratorCC ver.26.4.1

オブジェクトは複製されますが、ヒストリーパネル上では「取り消し」となります。

再現手順:
    1. ダイレクト選択ツールを選び、アートボード上のオブジェクトを選択
    2. キーボードのリターンキーを押し移動ダイアログを開く
    3. コピーボタンをクリックする
    4. ヒストリーパネル上では「取り消し」と表示されるがオブジェクトは正常にコピーされる

実際の結果:
    ヒストリーパネル上で「取り消し」と表示

期待された結果:
    「コピー」と表示される

回避方法:
    ありません。

その他…
    ・編集→カラーを編集
    ・リピートオブジェクトの編集処理
    ・グラデーションツールによる処理
    ・ブレンドツールをダブルクリックしてブレンドオプションダイアログを開き変更を適用する

これらも「取り消し」と表示されます。

ツールバー下部、塗と線に下にある塗り、グラーデーション、塗りなしのパッチをドロップして「塗」「線」を設定しようとするとヒストリーパネルでは「取り消し」になります。

段落パネルの多くの機能(インデント・段落前後あき以外)とOpenTypeパネルは項目が二重に追加されたりします。
    全般的にヒストリーパネルの表示はおかしいです。

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.0.0 which is available worldwide now.

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

16. Illustrator turning all PNGs into negatives (with or without yellow background) after saving and reopening document

I'm on Windows 10 pro, version 21H1. The version of illustrator I have is 26.3.1.
    When working on a document, CMYK or RGB, in illustrator with my Adobe color settings synced across all programs, all PNGs whether 16 bit or 8 bit turn negative. I've attached before and after screenshots.

I've never had this happen before and I work with PNGs everyday, I spoke to and adobe support rep yesterday and gave them an AI filer where I tested PNGs vs JPEGs out. JPEGs are totally fine, only issue is with placing PNGs and I rather place a PNG than…

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.0.1 which is available worldwide now.

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

17. Free Form gradient Line points gets deleted on changing opacity to 0 via Point Mode

Making a freeform gradient point to 0% opacity works until the object is moved. The point will be removed on moving the object. This does not affect opacity greated than 0%.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Type properties panel bug

Every time when changing a text's properties and deselecting it the text is reverted to size 12. Also when a different colour is applied to part of the text and deselecting it, the colour is applied to the whole text. The situation is the same with different font styles - setting part of the text in bold will result that everything is changed to bold when deselected. It happens every time.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

19. System compatibility report

Windows 10
    Adobe Illustrator 25.2

While launching Adobe Illustrator, a window appears warning of an unsupported video driver although the exported report (txt-file) does not show any problem. All drivers are up-to-date.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.2.3 which is available worldwide now.

20. Version 24.0.1 becomes unresponsive

I'm using Illustrator 24.0.1 with Windows 10 Pro

Since updating Illustrator keeps becoming entirely unresponsive midway through working with no warning and no way to save or quit.

Sometimes I can move the mouse over menu items, the drop down menu will be completely black and items 'appear' as I hover over them but I cannot click them. Other times I can not even access the menus and it is entirely unresponsive.

Since updating it has happened daily even when working on relatively simple artworks.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.1.2 which is available worldwide now.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base