What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

Align to Artboard

All version of Illustrator before CC 2018 the Align to.. command would stick to Align to Artboard unless you clicked on another object to define a Key Object.

This upgrade keeps jumping back to align selections.

132 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mark Barron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

87 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. At least give us the option to choose which one it defaults to. But like Sam says....when only one object is selected it should default to Align to Artboard.

• Mark Barron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chatted friday with Adobe Tech, and they easily reproduced this BUG. Now the question is how badly does Adobe feel this needs to be fixed. For me, I'm back to 2017 as I use this constantly to keep elements on a page aligned. Verify alignment for art sent to me. etc. I can't trust this with 2018 and it will cost me money.

• Sam Blomley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And it also comes up as align to selection even when there is only one object selected which renders the tool completely useless

• Mark Barron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I knew WHY it kept doing it, it would be helpful.. Just seems like how you select items pushed the align to.. to different things. Really frustrating to not be able to rely on something as simple as an Align Tool being consistent.

• Jordan Hunnicutt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to second this issue. Illustrator 2018 seems to default to "Align to Selection" and even if I change it to "Align to Artboard" it will change back when I do things, say, like click the artboard tool.

• Dean Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be great if align to artboard could be set to persistent.

previous to the 2018 update I did not have to switch from align to selection every time. Align to artboard is what I use almost exclusively.

1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base