What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

Performance issues in pixel preview on 5K retina screen

When working in pixel preview mode on the retina screen of my iMac, the scrolling and zooming in Illustrator are very laggy. Please do the needful ASAP or we plan to move to "Affinity" because illustrator is unusable for me and its impact our workflow.

6 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Arun Jolly shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also finding the current version almost unusable and it keeps hanging on me. Illustrator's performance continues to get worse with each new release.

I've already been previously experiencing white screen flickering that can only be resolved by restarting. With the latest Illustrator upgrade performance is now terrible. The last 2 Illustrator updates have made the software hang far more with more complex files with plenty of outlined text or nodes/anchors in the file.

The more and more troubleshooting I do with Illustrator the more it appears there is a hardware compatibility issue here. Current and previous versions run much better on machines with lesser hardware specs. Illustrator 2018 runs better but the UI is tiny in comparison to the 2019 version with UI scaling bumped up.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB
    AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB

Resolution: 5120 x 2880
    Mac OS 10.14.4

Illustrator 23.0.3
    UI Scaling is now set to line 2/4

The white flickering is a separate issue that could be related. If you're finding this version of Illustrator unusable my only tip is to try downloading the latest 2018 release using the Adobe CC app.

I'll have to followup with both Adobe and Apple support again. Paying monthly/annually for apps with updates that only make the software less optimized is extremely frustrating.

• Radomir Tinkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Same issue here. Lagging in Pixel Preview, a little bit faster in GPU Preview but still slower than usual. New machine with newly installed Adobe Illustrator and new monitor. Dictation is off by default.

-

Mac mini(2018):
    macOS Mojave - Version 10.14.2
    3,2 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Monitor:
    Dell U2718Q

Illustrator:

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When working in pixel preview mode on the retina screen of my iMac, the scrolling and zooming in Illustrator is very laggy, so laggy that the software is unusable for me. When I do the same on the low resolution screen, that is attached to my iMac, the performance is fine. I expect, that Illustrator performs in a usable way on the iMacs retina screen as well.

Hardware details:
    Mac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, Ende 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

Feedback and Knowledge Base