What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

New update (v23) crashes Illustrator consistently with Can't finish previewing or enough memory (RAM)

I'm working on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
3.5 HGz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Mem 64 GB
Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Since updating this morning, Illustrator has consistently crashed. At a random point, it switches to outline mode, and then a dialog box opens and states, "Cannot finish previewing" –– and then every time I try to switch out of outline-mode, it fails, and brings up the same dialog box, and I have seconds before it crashes altogether.

I'm able to still save and close the file. But when I try to re-open it, it says it does not have enough memory and that I can't open the illustration. When I quit Illustrator, and re-open it, then it works. Then the outline mode issue occurs, and I have to restart again. I'll try a CPU reboot to see if that helps.

NOTE: This issue happens on Microsoft Windows as well

590 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

393 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still have this issue Adobe and it's frustrating.

I have reinstalled twice and it started "Can't Open Illustration" started popping in my 22.1
    Now i have the 2019 CC and the problem hasn't been fixed.

• Jim Lyons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Possible fix: Under the CC menu, choose Manage > Uninstall, and choose to delete preferences, then reinstall. Previously, Illustrator would tear through memory in, like 5 minutes, even if it was idle. It's been open now for half an hour and there's no problem.

• Jim Lyons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem. Simply opening Illustrator CC 2019 v. 23.0.2 on my iMac (Sierra, now upgraded to Mojave) causes memory use to go through the roof -- 60+ GB compared with < 1 GB for everything else (InDesign topping the rest at about 800 MB). Curiously, I have Illustrator v. 23.0.2 on my MacBook Pro (High Sierra, never upgraded) and it functions fine. With so many people reporting the same problem, one would think the problem is not specific to any particular user; but maybe it's specific to users with certain setups (e.g., installed utilities).

• K.Baiocchi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same as everyone and I see no fine anywhere online, ANYWHERE. my MacBook Pro is 3 days old. illustrator is LITERALLY the only thing on it. FIX THIS. I have so much homework due hahaha

• Amy E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, am having major problems with Illustrator CC 23.0.2 I am unable to save my documents. I have tried everything. Like everyone else here, I need to get work done and I have wasted hours trying to fix this. My MacBook Pro is very new and fully up to date. Help!

Still having glitches and crashes with 23.0.2 since last update! What is going on?!?! It's frustrating and tiresome!

I just got this problem, just save the file, and reopen. you won't lose your work.

I have wasted an entire afternoon as a direct result of updating from CC 2018 to CC 2019. Your new programs crash, are you aware? I have a brand new iMac and it's fully loaded, so no excuses. How could you possibly push this out to the public with such obvious errors? I'm not only an Adobe die hard, but a stock holder, and this is beyond disappointing. I guess my question is this: should I trash everything and re-upload CC 2018 or is there an actual fix to this "out of memory even though you have 16GB of RAM" problem? Thanks

I just updated to CC 23.0.2 and it still crashes after a couple minutes telling me all of my memory has been used up. What else do you have Ashutosh?

• Randi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Can't finish previewing."

This is happening in Illustrator CC 23.0.2

I'm working on macOS Mojave 10.14.3
    iMac Pro
    2.3 GHz Intel Xeon W
    128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB

I have Illustrator v. 23.0.1. It crashes and hangs constantly. It also does some strange things like it the typing doesn't show in the real time, but seconds after the word was typed. And, when I try to change the text or graphics, they will not update. I have to shot down the Illustrator and that start it again and then it may or may not start working again.

• cory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@admin, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it so. THIS PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED IN CC 23.0.1 and to keep posting such is insulting. Better to post nothing then to come off as an ass.

Updates to CC & CS6 Illustrator and Photoshop via Adobe Creative Cloud Application all crash and show non responsive virtually each time I submit an action, like enter, delete, copy etc...... is the bug in the Adobe Creative Cloud Application maybe..?? Wherever it is, it’s costing me money and really don’t think I should be paying for something that’s not fit for purpose.... hang on, isn’t that Illegal to charge for a product/service/goods that don’t do what it says on the can... so to speak... just saying allegedly speaking of course!!!

• Ana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still having this issue with 23.0.2! Need to get work done!

@Ashutosh Chaturvedi (Sr. Quality Engineering Manager, Adobe Illustrator)

AGREED with comments below. At this point I have stopped updating all Adobe apps as they continue to introduce new bugs and extremely bloated features. Please fix this issue!

• Paulo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Updated to 23.0.2 and illustrator continues to crash, Adobe should be thinking in reward somehow this issue causes a lot of waste of time.

• Lé Gill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ashutosh Chaturvedi (Sr. Quality Engineering Manager, Adobe Illustrator)
    Adobe's new team has opened a giant can of worms that they can't possibly ever get it fixed.
    All the new updates are much slower, and often fail to perform basic task!
    Shame!

• Randi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually just experienced a crash a few days ago, and mine is fully updated. There was an issue saving the image I was creating; it made my entire system crash. I actually didn't even get a dialogue box. I lost two hours of work (which is on me, I know - I need to be constantly saving), but it was incredibly frustrating to start over when I shouldn't have had to.

I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series, and I'm sure this system has been out for a little while, but I've had this laptop less than 6 months. I know this computer isn't the greatest, but it hasn't been having a problem with Adobe until I downloaded Illustrator from Adobe Cloud.

Feedback and Knowledge Base