What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

New update (v23) crashes Illustrator consistently with Can't finish previewing or enough memory (RAM)

I'm working on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
3.5 HGz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Mem 64 GB
Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Since updating this morning, Illustrator has consistently crashed. At a random point, it switches to outline mode, and then a dialog box opens and states, "Cannot finish previewing" –– and then every time I try to switch out of outline-mode, it fails, and brings up the same dialog box, and I have seconds before it crashes altogether.

I'm able to still save and close the file. But when I try to re-open it, it says it does not have enough memory and that I can't open the illustration. When I quit Illustrator, and re-open it, then it works. Then the outline mode issue occurs, and I have to restart again. I'll try a CPU reboot to see if that helps.

NOTE: This issue happens on Microsoft Windows as well

589 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

393 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe when you start caring about code optymization and performance?! Your approach to the customer is ****## up!

CC 2019 on Mbp 2018 work like on 10 year PC! CC 2018 have much better performance.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many issues with this update. Y’all need to get it together.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hello i have the same problem - i saved my work and closed and the day after i tried to open the al file and - "cant finish previewing " error appeared . its also show me a black areas on my screen.
    i have the version 23.0 - i tried even install 2017 version and nothing help.
    Urgent help please !!!. I have jobs to submit and two important files do not open up to me( the error).
    Please note that there are other work files that open without a problem. - What to do ??????

hello i have the same problem - i close my saved my work and closed and the day after i tried to open the al file and - "cant finish previewing " error appeared . its also show me a black areas on my screen.
    i have the version 23.0 - i tried even install 2017 version and nothing help.
    Urgent help please !!!. I have jobs to submit and two important files do not open up to me( the error).
    Please note that there are other work files that open without a problem. - What to do ??????

On 23.1 and still cannot use AI. Is there a real fix for this? @Todd, did Apple get your iCloud working again?

• Magdy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@AshutoshChatuvedi, I have a problem with Illustrator ver 23.0.1 eating up CPU memory, used older versions , remove and installed but still persists. how can I fix this problem?

@AshutoshChatuvedi, you have to stop constantly copying and pasting the same non-sense response for something that in no way has been fixed.

I have watched in multiple forums how you keep repeating yourself. PLEASE STOP.

DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE.

• Susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe help us! Same issues here and I’m using the latest software 23.0.1

I am on 23.0.1 and I still get this error constantly. I've basically gone to using the 2018 version exclusively because even with only one or two other apps open, I get this error.

• Sophia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since upgrading to V23, I am also getting the "There is not enough memory available to process the appearance of an object." warning. I spent 1 1/2 painful hours on Adobe chat support last week and they told me something in my preferences had corrupted the install. They deleted my preferences and it fixed it (temporarily). I have been running a vanilla install since last week when yesterday I got the same error again. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled the app which has fixed my problem again, but for how long??!!

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SOLVED! New OS Mojave connection with iCloud jams up Adobe Illustrator. Just got off the phone with Adobe support and Manishka solved my problem. You have to un-click "desktop & documents" from your icloud preferences. Furthermore, you can contact Apple to have them reset in order for you to use iCloud with the new Adobe update. Thanks Manishka at Adobe!

• AdminAshutosh Chaturvedi (Sr. Quality Engineering Manager, Adobe Illustrator) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Juan @Anonymous : Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels - https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here. This post is about a specefic case that impacted few users where they saw a message leading to crash.

@Tim: please report the InDesign issue on indesign.uservoice.com

• Juan Houter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still crashing daily! Losing precious work which needs to be remade! The Recovery did nothing... Every year there is some kind of big bug, last year it was the GPU Preview bug, now this...

Only the fact that Illustrator is simply the most comprehensive app for vectors, keeps me with Adobe.

Feedback and Knowledge Base