What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

Direct Selection tool does not work on text anchors....

For some reason I can no longer select text by anchor using the direct selection tool. If I use the Regular selection tool it acts as it did before the update but the direct selection tool does not.

59 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeremy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

55 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nicole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not acceptable, it needs to be fixed ASAP. I cannot use illustrator in this state, I'm spending hours on workarounds, it is costing me too much. I think we all pay quite enough already. This must be fixed or revert to 2018 NOW

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why would Adobe ever change this... I hope it's a bug and not an intentional change.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On October 20th, 2018 Ankit from the Illustrator team noted this issue was reproducible but there hasn't been any update/fix. Can we receive an ETA on a possible fix for this issue, or confirm if the tool can be reverted to the 2018 version this month?

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fed up. Goodbye Adobe. It appears you can’t read the writing on the walls. Say hi to Aldus Pagemaker when you get to where you’re headed.

• Aatm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YEAH!!! I agree, the direct selection tool doesnt work on anchor anymore!! PLEASE FIX THE ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR CC 2019!!!

• Jim Ozolins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! Glad I found this here, because I have this issue after recent upgrades. This bug derails my workflow constantly now. My workaround is to press "shift" and Command" while selecting the text at the point. This makes the direct selection tool work as before.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. I've been Adobe Loyal since Illustrator 88. I now tell everyone DON'T get Adobe products! Look for alternative software and learn that. Nothing but problems since getting CC. I have to use it for work but will never get it for home.

• N. Hallin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue, very frustrating and I thought it was just me until I saw all these comments. Seriously finding a lot of bugs in both Illustrator and Photoshop and don't even get me started on InDesign. I've gone back to 2018 versions but haven't yet given up on Illustrator v23.0.1.

• Jan Vork commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Text Objects can not be moved bij dragging the Anchor Point. This should be possible. In earlier vesions we could move text by dragging the anchor point around.

• Mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So glad i'm not alone in this - this issue has become so infuriating!!

• Matthew Gosselin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

okay, its been about a month.. cmon guys.. really? so disappointing that this isn't fixed yet. i've reverted back to 2018 because of this. I would like to enjoy the new features in 2019, but cant effectively do my work until this bug is fixed.

can we at least get an update or acknowledgment of the situation?

• Andrew Croft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CC 2019 apps are so full of bugs this is insane - this is UTTERLY INSANE that we pay what we do for SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES and constantly get screwed by lame updates and bugs - does Adobe no longer test the software they throw out the door at us? Pathetic.

FIX THIS **** IMMEDIATELY. I am constantly having to ungroup elements to direct select text - AND THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING AT ALL EVER AGAIN.

To be clear, this issue is more than just an inconvenience. Using the Direct Select tool on a text object's anchor point will not permit a user to move the object. The anchor is highlighted and appears to drag, but it does not move the text.

Holding down the Alt key is not a viable workaround because it voids the advantages of grouping objects which was the whole point of the Direct Select tool.

IMHO, Version CS3 was the last great version of Illustrator. While the new versions have some nice features, it was like going from a sports car to a minivan. Yes, there are some advantages to minivans, unless you need a sports car. Why would anyone NEED a sports car? Because time is money.

Thanks for your post Ted, that is really interesting to read. Been using Illustrator since version 4 myself and I have to say, it's currently the most flakey we've ever seen it.

Luckily, relative recent additions like artboards have revolutionised the way we use Illustrator, so the Dev team have some credit left in the bank with us. :)

• Ted Wichman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just spent an hour "Chatting" with tech support. After trying numerous system settings they were unable to resolve the issue AND it was consistently occurring while they were logged in as a remote user on my machine. Much to my dismay, they indicated that they could not submit the issue as a bug, I needed to submit it here. I have the text transcript if you would like to review. That BTW, is a ridiculous waste of my time (since I have already demonstrated the bug to them), compounded by the fact that the bug also is wasting my time.

Additionally, It appears to me that the Selection Tolerance is not being passed to text objects. It works fine for vector objects. This is a huge issue if you consider the number of times a user needs to select text. I am guessing a text object is set to 1 px by default, but whatever the default number is, it makes selecting text irritatingly slow and frustrating. Xd is also having issues with selection.

BTW, I have been using Illustrator since Version 88, so I have a pretty good grasp on how selecting an object should work.

Feedback and Knowledge Base