What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

Direct Selection tool does not work on text anchors....

For some reason I can no longer select text by anchor using the direct selection tool. If I use the Regular selection tool it acts as it did before the update but the direct selection tool does not.

59 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeremy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

55 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Anonymous:

Yay! That works great! It makes it easier as we wait for the fix. Thank you! :D

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team were all drawing boxes to use use their anchor points as snapping aids. We have now found the quickest workaround to be as follows:

When using 'Direct Selection Tool', press Alt to toggle 'Group Selection Tool' on/off quickly. Just be sure to release the Alt key before the mouse button, or you will be creating a copy.

'Group Selection Tool'

• dmo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another annoyed user here, please fix! Can't stop habitually trying to do it still.

• Jimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additional System Info:

macOS Mohave Version 10.14
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB (1867 MHz DDR3)
    Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

I was just about to post this exact issue. Is there a preferences file we can possibly trash to resolve this? Or is it broken no matter what? Currently the Direction Selection Tool fails to snap the text anchor/node to another object's corner/node once the text is dragged to snap to it (with Smart Guides on).

My only workaround is using the standard regular Selection Tool right now, which is not exactly ideal.

After creating type with the text tool, I am unable to move the type object by dragging with either the selection or direct selection tool. I can drag the resize handles and move the object that way. I can also use the arrow keys to nudge the type object point by point. Shape objects can be moved.

There is no error message, but there is an alert sound.

This is a critical problem. It makes creating an Illustrator file with text IMPOSSIBLE.

Continued from below...

PS.
    We realise we can use the align palette, but far, far too slow for our workflow. And we'd rather not clog up our Action's Shortcuts with 101 procedures like this.

Like I said in the last post, confident the Dev team are about to squish this bug and btw...

...great Illustrator release overall.

TY

There are 6 members in my team all now drawing boxes, snapping the boxes to the Type's Anchor point, then selecting both Text string and box, just to use the boxes anchor point to snap/align the Text to other objects (oh, and then deleting the boxes). We are burning money with all the added steps because of this (please anyone, if we are missing some new improvement or technique, let us know) :)

I have to admit, we are expecting this to be corrected in the first bug fix update, just because it is such jolt to workflow and speed.

In general, we have noticed the accuracy and the solid, confident feeling of the snapping system slipping over recent releases. Illustrator CS3's snapping feels far superior. Yes, it didn't have all the spacing alignment guides, but basic snapping was rock solid.

Love Illustrator, it is our bread and butter and this is why we are confident this will be ironed out soon !!

Cheers

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is maddening. I wonder if this was someone's idea of an improvement, but I really liked being able to drag the actual anchor point so I could snap it to another point or a path. It was very precise that way.

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can't move text object by clicking on anchor point when use direct selection tool(A)

• luigi m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once a line of point type text is selected, I can't move it if I drag it from the anchor point

• Ankit goyal(Illustrator Team) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi ,

Thanks for reporting this issue, illustrator team really appreciate this.
    We are able to reproduce this issue and forwarded it to further investigation.

Regards
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator team

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that this only happens when the text is already selected and I click on the anchor point to move it with the direct selection tool.

• Marek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I forgot to mention that we are using the windows version here.

• Marek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Illustrator CC 2019: Picking and moving text object at the origin point doesn't work anymore for the direct selection tool (white pointer).

The "black" selection tool works properly. Also pressing ALT to drag and copy works. Also working with shift-drag (orthogonal movement).

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base