Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1106 results found

1. Export JPG/PNG (any format) in same folder of AI file (like before)

Hello, since update (CC 2018 22.0.0), when I do file>export> as jpeg, the file location is the last used and not the same as the AI file just open.

This can seems not important for you, but I do this 40x per day and now it's a waste of time. In CC 2017 this was ok.

I have to browse all the folders on local network .. to find my folder and it's boooooring.

There is no setting for this in preferences.

Thank you for your help.

(we are a infographist team and all complains about this.)

139 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

2. 121 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

3. Save now takes longer in updated 2020 version

When I save, even a blank document, it takes Illustrator a lot longer than the previous version to save.

106 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

We hope this season ends on a joyful note and continues into a safe and prosperous New Year for you and your family.
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2020.

We have tried to address this issue in our beta build of 24.0.2.
    Please visit adobe.ly/1o2SDsg and get the latest build for version 24.0.2 (Build 1).

Please do let us know if this issue is resolved for you or not.

With Best Regards,
    Illustrator Team

4. Unable to export PNG higher than 72ppi

"Export As" command will not export PNG files any higher than 72 ppi. Even when I set it to export at 300 ppi, it still exports at 72.
    Please fix this!

95 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Name artboard is not added to the file name when exporting (jpg or png, etc.)

When executing the command "File - Export file as" and exporting, for example, to jpg, the name artboard 3 "preview" is not automatically added to the file name. Everything was fine in the previous version (26.3.1) of Illustrator.

93 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Unable to export Artboards as SVG

The AI does export to SVG. I have used this constantly in the previous version, but the new version will not save the image in SVG format using the Export for Screens option.

88 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

7. XD and PS defaults to open .ai files - AI files should open with Illustrator only

Working in windows 10. After updating XD and Illustrator to 2019, all my existing .ai files have been defaulted to open in XD. I can use the "Open With" option to successfully open .ai files in Illustrator but the default always stays with XD no matter how many times I select Illustrator.

Uninstalled XD. AI files cannot locate Illustrator as primary software for launch.

NOTE:
    Edited by Adobe Staff to generalise the issue.

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have this issue fixed, please refer to steps below to solve the issue

XD defaulting to AI on Windows
    -——————————————————————

• Please update to latest version of XD (13.1.32) to resolve the issue. Thank you XD engineering team for solving this issue.

PS defaulting to AI on MAC
    -——————————————————————

• Please update to latest version of Illustrator (23.0.1) to solve this issue.
  8. 78 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue .
    We have fixed the bug which was orignally reported but it seems some users are still facing the issue.

We are not able to reproduce this issue in house now ,Kindly provide following info to nail down this issue:

1)Kindly provide some video , Test file(Via File→Package) & some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us at ShareWithAI@adobe.com .

2)Please try the below mentioned workaround and let us know if that helps:

If you do not use custom Adobe PDF presets/joboptions or not heard of it then follow the below steps
    1. Navigate to user presets folder
    Win: appdata\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings
    2. Rename the folder to “Settings old” and create a new empty folder “Settings” in the same place
    3. Launch Illustrator and check if you can save the document

If you use custom…

9. Can't save files in Catalina

With the new OS Catalina, Illustrator no longer can save, save as or export any file. This is a critical issue. Not sure how it would be missed in testing. is it a known issue and being worked on?

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 24.0.0

For the issue where you are encountering “An unknown error has occurred” while saving the document then please go to the following link to track the status of this issue:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-v-24-generic-error-while-saving-files-disappear

Warm Regards,
    Illustrator Team

10. Image Not Visible/Blank When Placing EPS Files into new file

I use a program called Separation Studio to separate raster images into spot colors. I then open up a new Illustrator file, click file -> place -> select the eps file created from Separation Studio, and the image that is placed is blank. This was not an issue with any versions of Illustrator. In previous versions, you were able to see the image that was placed and even change/alter the spot colors that were brought in. In this new version, CC18, the spot colors come in with the image when it's placed, but even if you change the spot color,…

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

11. An unknown error occurred when saving AI file

Since updating to 24.2 on our Macs people are intermittently getting "An unknown error occurred" when trying to save an AI file. We have found in those cases outlining all the fonts will let us save. We are using the latest version of Universal Type Client for our font management.

50 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue, Illustrator Team really appreciate this.
    We are unable to reproduce this issue in house. We need your help in getting this issue reproducible.
    Kindly provide some video and Test file(Via File→Package) with some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us in a zip file at sharewithai@adobe.com. Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.
    Please Also let us know if you have been using any 3rd Party plugin while facing this problem.

Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we might need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.
    If yes, then please do let me know about your available time so that I can schedule a connect session accordingly.
    Our time zone is IST (+5:30 GMT).We are available…

12. Please remove the "The document [name] is currently getting saved. It will be closed after the save is complete." dialog

Or at least make that optional. It's a common practice to Command-S, Command-W, and now it's an extra step to hit "ok". If you don't click okay (or press enter), it just hangs there, not doing anything until you get rid of the dialog.

Either make the dialog optional, or handle it like InDesign, where the dialog disappears when the file is saved and then the window closes.

SO annoying with 2020 AI

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. Want to give an update that we have removed the dialog, and the new experience is available in our latest release build – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now, in case you want to give it a try. Now, there will be no blocking message, we will show a “soft message” which will auto-dismiss .

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

13. Intertwine bug when export as pdf X4

mac os 12.6, illustrator 2023
    create 2 intertwining circles, save as PDF X4 with the Illustrator default settings and you get a bitmap instead of vector data..
    by choosing "compatibility: acrobat 8" the problem does not appear.

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.1.1 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

14. This file has been modified outside illustrator

After updating to Illustrator 24.0, sometimes when saving a file, I get a popup that says 'this file has been modified outside illustrator. do you want to continue?'

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

We hope this season ends on a joyful note and continues into a safe and prosperous New Year for you and your family.
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2020.

We have tried to address this issue in our beta build of 24.0.2.
    Please visit adobe.ly/1o2SDsg and get the latest build for version 24.0.2 (Build 1).

Please do let us know if this issue is resolved for you or not.

With Best Regards,
    Illustrator Team

15. cmd+shift+n doesn't create new folder in Finder-Save-Dialouge anymore after last update

When you save a file (save as, save, save copy, ...) you can not create a new folder via cmd+shift+n anymore after the latest 24.0.1 "bug fix update" which I received today.

Please fix this again!

(Mac OS 10.13.6 / Illustrator 24.0.1

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.1.1 for Win and 24.1 for Mac which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

16. Upgrade 25.4.6 Not export dxf

Upgrade 25.4.6 Not export dxf
    MacoS 10.14.6

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Files not saving correctly, reopens to older versions.

Twice this week I've saved files, closed them, and opened them later and my changes were not saved – illustrator opened way older versions of the files. What's weirder is one is a PDF, and the PDF shows the accurate file, but when I open it in illustrator it shows the old version.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Illustrator does not embed a color profile when exporting artwork to PNG format

When exporting to JPG format there is option to select color profile and an option to embed the chosen color profile in file. There is no such support for PNG files and I find many times I am asked for a transparent PNG file for print work and am unable to embed color profile.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Can't Save as on your computer

I use illustrator 26.1 and Monterey 12.3 on MacBook Pro with M1 chip .
    I can't Save as on my computer . The Window is freeze except the format box and the "save on cloud document" button.

Please help I can't do my job and save as pdf formats for print .

Thank you.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Illustrator is not exporting with the current file name

1. Create a document
    2. Draw a rectangle (just for it to have something inside)
    3. Save it anywhere as '1.ai'
    4. Export a, say, TIF, with default settings (these don't really matter) — Ai will offer '1.tif' name for the file exported
    5. Save this document as '2.ai'
    6. Export another TIF — Ail will use '1.tif' name, although the file is now '2.ai' This is wrong. Ai should adapt the name from the file actual name and not the original one.
    28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.3.0 which is available worldwide now.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 55 56
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base