Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop)
  2. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. In documents with a lot of artboards, incorrect sizes are exported

I have a document with 446 artboards, each containing an icon. When I issue my icons, sometimes the normal size is issued wrong (plus 1 px in width or height), sometimes the @2x size is wrong (plus 1 px in width or height) or both are wrong. This does not occur with documents with fewer artboards. I have a document which shows the issue clearly. I cannot share it here but support can have it. Thanks.

Update: I have managed to isolate one of the offending artboards in a single file. Its size is 26x20. When it gets exported, its…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Save Default Folder not adjustable

Im missing a save settings option to set a default saving folder. if anybody had the same problem and was able to find a way-text me!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Recent files" shows the thumbnail of a password protected PDF file.

I expect to not see the thumbnail of a password protected file. Maybe just have a lock image like in the OS?

Mac 10.13.6, AI 22.0.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. File Names Fail To Save with Fullstops

If a file name, entered in the New Document modal, has fullstops in the name in the beginning of the string, for example, a date " 19.07.11 Web Banner.ai " the user will find, when they go to save the file that the filename will not be saved as it was entered.

No characters after the 2nd full stop will be shown, forcing the user to type out the entire string again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. svg import - Support of class assignments at group level

AI 23.0.3 on Win 10
    We tried to open a svg created with another tool in AI but there are always display problems. So we compared svg code created in both tools of a filled rectangle and a line.
    AI ignores the settings of the svg because of NO support of class on group level (g class). CSS is also not always read well.

Is there a possibility to fix this problem?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Opening duplicate document with broken links closes original

Steps:

1) Try to open an already open file and get the "This document is already open; create another window for the document?" prompt.

2) Select "No"

3) Still get "Could not find linked file..." warning with "Replace / Ignore / Cancel" options.

4) If you select Cancel (most obvious selection as per above "No" don't open another version of this document), the original version of this file also closes, with no "Save changes" prompt or anything. Any changes are subsequently lost.

This is very unintuitive UX and is a very costly mistake to make.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Svg export

Hi! I met with you at CreativePro conference in Seattle. I would like to see more control when exporting svg from Illustrator. More specifically, the ability to remove the title tag when exporting. If not, that's ok, the svgomg site cleans up svg code well. Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SVG: RTL text is shifted

We have tried to import correct SVG with RTL text. The SVG looks ok in browsers(Chrome, FireFox). If we just open the SVG file in Adobe Illustrator the RTL text will be shifted to the right. As we see Adobe Illustrator pre-processes SVG but the result looks incorrectly. Are there some specifics of RTL processing that we can take into account? We aspect to see the same SVG rendering as in browsers. (see attached file : as SVG files can not be attached, I've replaced .svg with .txt)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Error reading SVG 1.2 files

SVG files generated by Avid Sibelius (music notation software) display perfectly well in Chrome, Safari and Firefox but is very distorted in Illustrator. Line paths are too big.

If I open the file in the SVG online editor at https://editor.method.ac/. them save it (without editing anything), I can the open it in Illustrator with almost no problems.

I'm including a link to the file. Open it in Illustrator and Chrome to compare.

https://www.teoria.com/res/images/svg/838.svg

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Error reading SVG 1.2 files

SVG files generated by Avid Sibelius (music notation software) display perfectly well in Chrome, Safari and Firefox but is very distorted in Illustrator. Line paths are too big.

If I open the file in the SVG online editor at https://editor.method.ac/. them save it (without editing anything), I can the open it in Illustrator with almost no problems.

I'm including a sample file. Open it in Illustrator and Chrome to compare.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Error reading SVG 1.2 files

I'm including a sample file. Open it in Illustrator and Chrome to compare.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Image embed option in SVG options does not work

Environment:
    Illustrator Version 23.0.3 (64 bit)

Recreating the bug:
    1. Create some Illustrator artwork with a linked image (.jpg, .png, etc).
    2. Export an SVG through File > Export > Export As...
    3. Select the Image > Embed option.

The resulting SVG does not contain the image. This was an issue introduced with Illustrator 2019, the 2018 version worked fine. Right now I'm embedding the image into the AI file itself as a workaround and then exporting it using the same method since that embeds the image into the SVG, but it would be nice if…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hex Color vs Save

Windows: 10.0.17763.557
    Illustrator: 23.0.3 (64-bit)
    Processor: Intel i7 8700k
    RAM: 16GB
    GPU: NVidia GTX970

When I change the color of an object via hex code, Illustrator changes the color but does not detect that an edit has occurred to enable the save option.

Step by step:
    1 - Create a new file in Illustrator in RGB mode.
    2 - Type M and create a rectangle.
    3 - Fill in the rectangle with any color.
    4 - Save and close the file.
    5 - Reopen the file.
    6 - Select the rectangle.
    7 - Press F6 to open the color panel.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. duplicated drawings when saving or exporting

On AI CC 2019, when I save file for laser cutting machine compatibility, i.e. as a previous version or PDF format, it appears that my drawing is duplicated on itself (as if I did copy then paste in front). That never happened with AI CC 2018.
    Any idea?
    Thx!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Data Recovery

There's a weird glitch happening where it's like 'recovering data' ONLY once I start typing - and it keeps inserting an image I have previously deleted.

It's also giving me warnings when I open the document about it - I've tried 'ignore' I've tried to replace the file. Nothing makes a difference, it keeps randomly inserting the image again when I type.

I tried setting it aside, thinking it would only do it once... no, it will keep inserting more and more if I keep typing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. IMPORTING png file = blank

I tried to import a png file into illustrator and nothing happens, it shows as an asset but nothing is on the board. Other png files import normaly, just this specific one for some reason, I even tried to reformat it with photoshop and create a new file and no success.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Can't search on network drives within Illustrator on macOS

Hi,

I realized that when I'm working with Illustrator and some item is missing I can't use the finder search function within the network drive so I can reallocate it. It doesn't find anything but if I search on the local drive it searchs just fine. Also if I search from the Finder (directly on macOS, not from Illustrator) on the network drive it finds the files just fine so the bug is within Illustrator. It's also happening with InDesign.

The problem is also happening on my other iMac as well.

macOS version: 10.14.5
    Illustrator version: 23.0.3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. illustrator automatically converts linked files to glip groups and it breaks the work with variables

I open the file, create an place Linked File, save the project.
    Open it again, and there is Clip Group instead of an Linked File
    It breaks the work with variables

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Asset Export Alt-Drag

Why did you guys require that the existing functionality of dragging a group into the asset export panel now requires the addition of "Alt" - now i have to "Alt-Drag" an item, otherwise the selection breaks apart into all the groups. "Alt-Drag" should have been the keystroke for breaking the asset into groups, leaving the regular drag and drop as is - as people have learned that method already.

Were there user studies conducted that indicated that it was better to change the default behavior, and make the standard behavior do something different?

I have to relearn a mental model…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base