3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Illustrator extremely slow when saving

Illustrator extremely slow when saving - 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / Illustrator CC 2019 / expected 2 second save and more like 4 minutes

It seems to have started after updating the mac.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extra pixel added to image size when export image

When I use the export image option to make a PNG or JPEG with use artboard at 300 ppi, my original image size is changed by 1 pixel (like an image goes from 500 x 500 to 501 x 501).

I have found the save for web works to retain the proper dimensions, but when the image needs to be printed, it becomes 72 ppi which is not correct resolution for printing.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. empty progress dialog

BUG: Hitting save, switching to another application for a bit, and then coming back to Illustrator leaves a non-dismissable, persistent blank "Progress" dialog floating behind Illustrator's windows. These empty dialogs often stack up, and only ever go away by quitting the application.

Expected: whatever dialog this is supposed to be clears itself up, cleans itself up, and puts itself away.

Mac Powerbook touchbar
    MacOS Mojave 10.14.3
    Illustrator 23.0.2

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting the issue. We have tried the scenario and failed to reproduce it,it would be helpful if you could provide some more information-

Is this happening on win 7 only?

Have you tried cleaning the preferences and re launching the application?Does that solve the issue.

Have you encountered this issue with the latest Illustrator build?

Thanks
    Anish Kumar

4. Data merge with variables shared by multiple objects should not create errors

Assigning multiple objects to the same variable would be particularly useful for language translations, in which the same value should appear in different objects of the same document.

While the UI allows to link several objects to the same variable, Illustrator behaves badly in these cases:

1. When a new dataset is created, Illustrator will assign different values to the same variable and where the value shows up is unpredictable.

2. The exported variable library is invalid and cannot be imported again.

3. If a CSV is imported into such a document, the import fails with an unknown error, while the CSV import…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. AI 22.1 Open single page of multipage PDF now a 2-step process?

WHY, of WHY did you ***** this up? Formerly you could open a single page of a multipage PDF by simply clicking the arrows under the thumbnail. Once you found the page you want, you click open and there it is. Now, no matter what you do, the Pages Range is stuck on 1-1 (of xx). You now have to type in the number. PITA! Please fix this back to the old way.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Declined  ·  Ashutosh Chaturvedi responded

With the introduction of multipage PDF open it is not possible for us to tie the range field to the thumbnail previews. It is not possible for us to predict the user intent just based on previews he/she has seen. Here is one example user preview pages 1 to 3 and then decided to open pages 1-2.

6. Wrong raster exported with combination of mask, gradient and brush

I have path with a stroke applied to it.
    Stroke is gradient, applied 'within'
    One point of this gradient has opacity 0.
    This path has mask.
    Mask applied as inverted and clipping.
    Inside this mask I have path with dash brush applied to it.

All of this looks fine inside AI.
    When I export a picture with Save for web (try other exports yourself, I don't use them) — AI doesn't see mask.

See animation and artwork attached.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. "To preserve appearance some text has been outlined"

I recently sent a PDF file generated from InDesign (CC2018) to a book manufacturer from which they were to make a brass die to stamp a binding, just as I have done for about twenty years. A proof was sent back to me in which the 1/2pt rules had thickened to about 3pts and some of the type had thickened, too. I complained and they sent me another proof, in which the rules were ok, but most of the type had thickened.

I wondered how this could have happened, so I did some experiments. I opened the PDF in Illustrator…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PDF is intended for Output and Document Sharing. In any workflow, if the content is to be modified without any data loss then the native file format should be used for editing. InDesign document or Illustrator document should be used to edit the content.

8. File size growing increasing bloating

Illustrator 22.0.1 (64bit), Windows 10 64bit (latest version), 64GB RAM, 3.5Ghz 12 core CPU, 2x large SSDs

As of last week, I have been encountering an issue with file sizes growing larger and larger each time I save. The file grows even when I only move or even delete objects. The larger the file becomes the more it adds with each save, and the slower it becomes. It’s as though it’s doing something like saving history states (although not in any useful way).

This is a huge problem; the project file I’m currently working on, though modest in complexity (75k…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Saving error Adobe Illustrator 2020 [24.0.1]

When saving an existing ai document that I have made an alt to illustrator keeps giving me a save error.

Illustrator tried, but could not save the file 'file name' Click "Learn more" to try alternate options for saving a file.

If I then use the 'save as' command and save over the top of the existing ai it will save. Illustrator leaves a .tmp file in the same folder as my ai. I may work on the file a few more time re-saving using the 'save' command with no issue and then randomly I will save and we go…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. pdf cannot be displayed

Hi, Since update Illustrator 2020, when I save ai to pdf file, it cannot be displayed the thumbnail, and even use Acrobat open still can't see it. Please see attached.
    Thanks!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. unknown error when saving

I'm using version illustrator version 23.1, you can find my operating system in attachments. I'm tryin to save my flat drawing and logo designs with patterns made with brushes and pencil tool. This leads to "unknown error has occured" message coming to me very often. Can you help me with this? I really want to continue working.

Many others from my class is having this same problem.

Best regards

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Adobe Illustrator CC 2019 is not able to generate PDF-compatible files

No matter what I do (re-save as a AI, EPS, PDF, check/uncheck 'create PDF compatible file', etc...), if I save as a PDF, the PDF will show up saying "This is an Adobe Illustrator File that was saved without PDF content" etc... Is this a version 2019 bug??? What am I doing wrong?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow text to be copy and pasted to file name when saving.

Operating System:
    macOS Mojave Version 10.14
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

Illustrator: 23.0.1

This issue has existed for years and I'd like to know if it can be fixed. When copying text from your document, it should remain on the clipboard so that it can be pasted when the Save As window first loads and prompts you to name to the file. However, pasting does not work from text copied from Illustrator. For years I have had to first copy…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Illustrator CC 2019 freezes when trying to save.

Illustrator freezes while trying to save, both locally or on a network drive.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

I would like to know if your issue is resolved ? If not please help us by answering few questions-

Hardware you were working?
    Is this very frequent?
    Your operating system?
    Are you connected to a VPN?

Please revert us back with the above information,it may help us to reproduce the issue in house.

15. Poor quality images from Export for Screens

Mac OS 10.13.5, Illustrator 22.1

Images from artboards containing embedded raster files output using Export for Screens are of decidedly lower quality than those output from Save for Web. Please see the attached image for a side-by-side comparison. Save for Web is on the left, Explort for Screens on the right. Top images are actual size, bottom enlarged for emphasis. Notice the jaggies in the raster images.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue and getting back to you this late.
    We are unable to reproduce this issue in house.
    Can you help the Illustrator team to isolate this issue further so that we can nail this down?
    If yes, then please let me know the following:
    1) Is this Issue still happening on your machine in the Latest version 23.0.3 ?
    2) If yes,Kindly provide some video , Test file(Via File→Package) & some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us at
    ShareWithAI@adobe.com in a Zip file.
    Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Thanks and Regards

16. svg export for screens distorted

Vectors getting quite distorted creating svgs of logos even with 5 decimal places and no minify. I've had to copy and paste into Sketch then export svgs from there, not ideal at all.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Added To Backlog  ·  5 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Image resolution wrong when rotated

When you place an image into a document the resolution is shown correctly, but if you rotate it, Illustrator continue to consider original pixel width and height as if image was not rotated.
    Example:
    - Import new 800x400px @72dpi image.
    - Illustrator shows correctly 72ppi.
    - Rotate it 90°.
    - Illustrator now shows 144x36ppi, as if image size was 800w x 400h but it was stretched to 400w x 800h (so 800/400 = 2x -> 144 and 400/800 = 0.5x -> 36).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Adobe Illustrator Hidden Layers Show In InDesign

When layered files are placed from Illustrator into InDesign, the files in InDesign show the Illustrator hidden layers. If you're not careful, the files can be presented incorrectly. The only fix I have seen is to resave the Illustrator file, then delete and import the image again in InDesign with the layer options selected. Review each layer before confirming the image placement.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Can't save preview - error notice |

after simply saving an illustration
    i get this error.
    It seems i get it across both my systems
    uninstalled and reinstalled illustrator (AiCC18)
    i still get it...
    seems to not affect the files them selves...(all seems well)
    Just seems to be a bit anoying...

kai

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The issue seems to be file corruption, our support should be able to recover some of the information when you contact them. A file normally corrupts when the disk is not available during file wrote or when Illustrator crashes. We also do not support network drives which is prone to file corruption when writing large files.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

20. Can not export to png or jpg

When I try to export to jpg I get this error that comes up to lower my resolution. I have tried lowering it to 150dpi and still does not work.

When I try to export to png it comes up with an unknown error "(!now)"

This is ridiculous as I should be able to export from illustrator at any dpi without these issues as this is an expensive professional product.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base