Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

235 results found

1. AI displays the START SCREEN on opening the file and the document view do not switches (refreshes) the file content.

v 22.1

When trying to open an existing file while Illustrator is closed, the software will lag and then hang on the opening screen. The file appears to be opened in the background, but there's no way to access or see it. The opening screen will give options to open additional files or create a new one (as usual) but when trying to do either, nothing will open and no New File Options menu will appear.

Everything will work normally only if I open Illustrator first and then the file.

This happens will every file I've tried, so this isn't…

199 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

192 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you all for reporting this issue and providing us your valuable feedback.

What we have found out so far is that this issue can happen in multiple workflows. For clear tracking, validation and closure. We will closing this thread for given below two scenarios which we believe are fixed now:

1)Double click any Ai file to launch Illustrator
    2)Placing files in Illustrator via Bridge.

For two other scenarios that we know of that can cause this, we have created a separate thread :https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39220189-ai-displays-the-start-screen-on-opening-the-file-a .If you are encountering the below mentioned issues with latest Version (24.0.1 on Mac and Win), then please vote on newly provided User voice thread and provide Test File via File→Package, Video and steps via dropping email at sharewithai@adobe.com along with this thread link so that we can identify and fix the root cause.

1. On opening a file in Illustrator the START SCREEN do…

2. Illustrator desktop version 27.8 Error message [UKCO] after update on 8-3-2023

I get the following error message upon starting up Illustrator desktop.
    "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [UKCO]"
    The app opens and I can create a new doc but the message keeps popping up.
    For now I'm reverting back to a previous version.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 2019 Not Responding when opening file & Slow on Start MACOS Mohave 10.14.1

1. Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 2019 / MACOS Mohave 10.14.1 2.1 Slow or Not Responding - Launch Adobe Illustrator - by clicking on icon in dock or in applications folder 2.2 If it launches - Click on Open from Dashboard and try to open a file - it becomes non-responsive or takes forever. 2.2.1 Tried opening ai files (any of them I have) directly- same issue 2.2.1 Tried to command copy and save to change location I have filed stored - it copies to new location, including adobe cloud, same issue 2.2.3 New files never show up in recent files on…
    27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

4. MAC: System has run out of memory and force quits - Activity Monitor shows > 100GB

After launching Illustrator it will force quit with an error message "your system has run out of application memory." I have 8GB of memory and no other applications are open or running when I launch Illustrator. I am noticing in the activity monitor that illustrator is using a large amount of memory, extremely higher that usual. This started happening a few days ago and I have no changes to my OS or updates to Illustrator CC

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

5. System compatibility report

Windows 10
    Adobe Illustrator 25.2

While launching Adobe Illustrator, a window appears warning of an unsupported video driver although the exported report (txt-file) does not show any problem. All drivers are up-to-date.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.2.3 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

6. illustrator 2021 stuck on initializing on mac

illustrator 2021 stuck on initializing until I restart the whole system on mac. I have the latest version

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Unstable CC 2019 in Mojave

Illustrator CC 2019 on OSX Mojave is completely unstable.
    Ive been working on a few files today, Illustrator crashes within 3mins of working on a file and there is no recovery file, so basically I lose what I am working on. Im now saving every 30 sec anticipating a crash. At first I htought it was a font conflict, so I outlined all of hte fonts. Nope, still crashes. Next I will uninstall Illust CC19 and re-install.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Mojave is a supported operating system since Illustrator version 23.×.
    We request your help. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

8. Illustrator 2019 Crashes on startup

I've upgraded to the latest Illustrator (2019), but it crashes on startup. I have tried uninstalling it and re-installing it, but it still crashes. I've re-installed it with fresh preferences, e.g. not importing settings from the previous version and it still will not startup. The same thing is also happening to InCopy.??

Luckily I did not remove the previous version.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it??

I'm running a MacPro (Late 2013), 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB RAM, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, with macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

9. LAUNCH ERROR ISSUE - Google Drive File Stream

Drive File Stream interfere with Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 on Windows 7 SP1 x64 bit.

After installing Google Drive File Stream I get lunch error during Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 (icui18n.dll) and program runs with limited functionality.

When uninstalling the google drive file stream everything works just fine.

I shared the same issue with the drive file stream, so i just hope that it will not end up pointing fault one on another. Both applications are important to workflow.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Here is some good news. We users who have confirmed that the issue is resolved when you install the latest version of Google File Stream.
    Please update to Google Drive File Stream 26.1.37.2022 or later

Thank you Martin for validating the fix.

10. Illustrator 23.0.1 crashing almost immediately after launch

I am running Mojave 10.14.2 (system screenshot attached). Every time I start Illustrator, it runs for 5-10 seconds and then crashes. There are no error messages; it just dies. The same thing happens with InDesign. Photoshop appears to run without issue.

I have tried looking for updates in the CC app, but it says that the programs are all up to date.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the software, but the issue remains.

I have seen responses for similar issues where Adobe techs say that the issue has been fixed on version 23.0.1, but that is not the case;…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please try again, there was a server level issue that was leading to a crash on January 9th 2019

NOTE: This issue is only for the scenario where Illustrator 23.0.1 / 23.0.0 started crashing on January 9th 2019

11. home screen keeps loading

When starting Illustrator after the splash screen the Home screen keeps loading. It never loads, even after hours. Your man from the support center couldnt fix it either. You may disable the home screen in the prefs but thats a workaround I dont prefer. I found deleting your temp in users/username/appdata/local/temp works but thats plain ******** if you ask me. Solution? Please?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

12. AI 2020 (v24) fails to open - error loading plugins

Illustrator 2020 (v24) crashes on launch. I am running it on an iMac running under OS 10.14.6.

I attempted to open Illustrator by clicking the Open button within the Creative Cloud launch window and by double-clicking the AI app within the application folder. Both launches resulted in the following error being reported, then the application failed to open:

Error loading plugins.
    SmartExport.aip
    SmartExportUI.aip

Attached is a copy of the error report that I sent to Apple.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator CC2019 isn't allowing me to create new documents. At all.

Illustrator CC2019 isn't allowing me to create new documents. At all.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. AI 24 freezes on startup (Mac OS Catalina)

Illustrator 24 (2020) will not launch on my MacBook Pro Retina.

1. I'm running Catalina 10.15.1 and Illustrator 2020.
    2. The applications is installed and launched
    3. I expect the app to open
    4. It freezes upon startup

I had the same issue with InDesign 2020 freezing up (causing me to have to Force Quit the stalled app), but Photoshop 2020 did not have any issues.

I was able to get InDesign 2020 to launch by restarting in Safe Mode, then disabling the "Show Home screen when no documents are open" Preference, then restarting normally.

The bug seem related to not being able to…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Hang/Freeze when trying to open an Illustrator file with a placed PDF/Image

1. MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Illustrator 23.x.x
    2. Opening an Illustrator file. (It doesn't matter if Illustrator is already open or not.)
    3. The expected result is that the file will open as normal.
    4. Actual result is Illustrator hangs/freezes for upwards of 15-20 minutes before it will open the file.

As i mentioned in the title, this only happens when I am trying to open an Illustrator file that has a placed PDF inside. Specifically they are Nutritional Facts panels or Supplement Facts panels that were built in InDesign and exported as PDFs. Then the PDFs are placed on product labels in…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Opening Illustrator files brings up the Text import options box and then a blank file after updating to the current version?

I cannot open any existing Illustrator files without the Text import options box (As shown in the screen shot) opening. If I click cancel the box goes but the file doesn't open. If I click ok it opens a blank file but with the correct file name.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times and the same happens every time? Please help!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. New document causes crash

When starting a new document, the first thing that Illustrator does is crash. Doesn't matter what the size of the document is.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Startup performance

Illustrator has always been sluggish on startup, but 27 seconds on a recent SSD MBP is totally unacceptable IMO.

Thoughts anyone?

By comparison PS is ready to go in 7sec.

Standard install CC 2018 / Il 22 on MacOS 10.13.1

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Our typical launch numbers on a SSD MBP is around 6-7 seconds hence we would like to understand more about the issue and problem.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

19. Illustrator 2021 Won't Load - I have already contacted Customer Care. They were not able to help.

Please help. There are a number of users experiencing this major bug. Please read: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/help-illustrator-2021-won-t-load/td-p/11530119?page=6

I think Adobe needs to realize that it has been isolated to Illustrator v25.0 only. Like everyone else, the latest releases of Photoshop v22.0.1, InDesign v16.0, and Bridge v11.0 all work just fine. Moving down to Illustrator v24.3 seemed to help get everyone back to work. However, since this is a newer version, there is a question on the projects that we have been working on with v25.0 will open up without any hiccups with v24.3. I am testing that right now as I have…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. v23.0 files won't open with v23.01 update, Unknown error occurring

Can't open v23.0 ai files since the update to v23.01. The program doesn't even attempt to open, an error pops up saying "an unknown error has occurred"
    Help please,
    this is making work very difficult

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)