Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

74 results found

1. Extension EAN13 Maker

EAN13 maker window is not working as it should.

• Window is with sliders even as resolution is 2560*1440.
    • Font settings is reset every time AI is reopened
    • EAN file overrides units preference and is ALWAYS in Points

Very annoying and severly limits the use of a tool which could become extremely important in our workflow.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Ashutosh Chaturvedi responded

Please contact makes of the extension. Since the extension is not released by Adobe i request you to contact developers of EAN13

2. Extremely slow "export for screens" and saving

I'm suffering a performance reduction in my workflow thanks to the latest update (23.0). I usually have at least five artboards per file project--sometimes up to 20. I used to export designs within 30 seconds and now it takes up to 5 minutes.

I haven't change anything in terms of hardware or workflow. My exports are slow no matter if the file goes to the server or to my hard drive. This is driving me crazy!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Illustrator CS6 does'nt work on macOS Hight Sierra

Hi,
    waht can I do to use Illustrator CS5 on macOS Hight Sierra.
    InDesign work very well, but Illustrator can't open.

Thank tou very much !

Geneviève

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. CAN YOU PLEASE REVERT TO LEGACY SCALING OPTIONS!!! PLEASE

Illustrator 23.0.1 - Scale tool doesn't work the same as it's been for years!! Ugh!

Please revert to the legacy behavior of scaling shapes, images and text proportionately by using the scale tool + holding shift key and drag to enlarge or reduce size of shape proportionately. This way has been burned in my brain for many, many, many years. My fingers move faster than I can think, and now my logos turn out wonky unless I scale it the long way, by opening up the scale tool and typing in percentages!! No thanks.

ABOBE USER FOR OVER 20 YEARS.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. pathfinder panel missing

Hi,
    I'm having an issue that I haven't been able to find an answer for after spending some time researching it.
    I just downloaded Illustrator CC and I went into windows to turn on the pathfinder panel. It was an available option so I was able to turn it on, but no panel is displayed as per usual. Any idea how to fix this? I tried resetting my workspace preferences and restarting the program to no avail

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Artboards disappear and is replaced by guides for artboard when reopening an existing document

Using Illustrator Version 22.0.1 on PC. Also happens on my Imac at work as well.

This happens from time to time but does get somewhat annoying when it does.

When I open an existing document, the artboards are all gone except for one artboard and what is left instead are guides for where those artboards are meant to be, and a new layer has been created in the layers panel with the name 'Guide For Artboards'.

There isn't anything out of the ordinary I do when saving a file so I have no idea why it likes to do this…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Diagonal Lines

Hi, I've just updated my Creative Cloud to 2018, but when using the Illustrators, every time I push ctrl button or use the direct tool, these diagonal lines appear. Is there a way to make the line disappear? Thanks.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Declined  ·  6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Saving AI to EPS produces 2 EPS "clones"

Standard procedure in my Art Dept. is to save AI files as EPS when going to press. This includes outlining all fonts and embedding all images.

For at least the last several months, I've often found that when I save an AI file as an EPS, it creates two nearly identical EPS "clones"...meaning they have virtually the same file name but are slightly different in size. An example result for saving "file_name.ai" would be:

filename.eps
    file
    name-01.eps

In all cases, the file without the "-01" would be slightly smaller in size (i.e., 4.3MB compared to 4.6MB), but aside from…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Artboard name - Export for screens bug

Latest version of CC.
    If you name an artboard with a "/" in the name - when you go to export for srceens and choose artboards - it'll report an error.

For example an Artboard called Sign In / Registration will produce an error when trying to save the artboard using "Export for Screens".

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is working as designed.
    Windows has some limitation that is cannot have “/” and several other characters in the name of a file. So we restricted them from being added from Export for Screens dialog( for consistency purpose on both Windows and Macintosh ). Though we can have them from artboards panel but when you will export the artboard (through older route) those will be replaced by a “-”.

Thanks & Regards
    Nitish Agarwal

10. Stroke Cap

Stroke Cap display error. The cap is displayed as a rounded cap even when projecting and butt cap are selected.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

All outlines here are closed path, therefore Butt Cap does no affect them — it applies only to open paths.

All outer points in these are smooth, therefore Miter Join does not affect them — since there are no corners this setting applies to.

To see sharp corners here you’d need to modify the outlines to actually have sharp corners, for the stroke to follow.

11. Generative ai doesn't show up after update

I updated Illustrator to 28.0 version, saw new features, tried tutorial and... nothing (see snapshot)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Text to Vector Graphic is an integrated Adobe Firefly feature.

To use Firefly, a user has to be in a country where this service is available. This excludes Russia, Belarus, and China. In addition, Adobe services and products are generally cannot be used in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, Crimea, or the so-called Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics.

You can read about it here: https://helpx.adobe.com/firefly/faq.html#about-firefly

12. artboard is not working properly

my artboard is merging with the home page of adobe photoshop

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make the share button bigger

I think the blue share button in the top bar doesn’t attract enough attention. A solution could be to enlarge the size of the button. (See mockup). Also, consider a brighter color or blinking!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Nah. It’s big and blue enough.

Also, you can even make it less blue, if you go to Preferences > User Interface and toggle Share Button option from Blue to Match Brightness.

The same option in Photoshop is named Interface > Neutral Color Mode.

As for the InDesign — alas, not yet. Vote for making it neutral here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/45860278-make-share-button-neutral

14. Pantone Color Changes to CMYK

When I have an object that has a pantone color associated with it but then the pantone swatch is deleted from the swatch panel, the object color changes to cmyk instead of keeping its pantone color. This is causing issues with printing, as it will print a different color than it is supposed to.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When a spot color is deleted from the Swatches panel, Illustrator has to convert all the colors in the document to a process color instead, because they loose the link to the now deleted spot swatch.

This is how it works and it can’t be changed. The spot color should remain in a document’s swatches if it is used in it.

15. Pen tool issue since update 24.1.3(64bit)

When I go to use pen tool the cursor is 5mm away from the anchor point. When trying to draw with this there is a lot of jerking, and very little control. Also when moving vectors I have very little control over where it can be placed. Smart guides is no longer showing or working but is selected in menu. Not working today because of this. Thank you - Helen.

Microsoft Surface Studio 2
    Windows 10 64 bit

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. path malfunctioning after pressing object > expand

(I am using the cc 2019 version windows)
    using my pen tool I created a path, in which I wanted to alter something and therefore I used the expand option for it. This led to my path creating new unwanted anchor points on the stroke area. In other words when I try to alter the path it only lets me select the circumference, while the actual anchor point went missing and the pen tool is unable to make any changes to it.
    In the picture below it is shown everything I explained above
    Ive been trying to find a solution…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. AI file not locked but but cannot be edited

I have a file that while I was working on it seems to have become locked as an image and I can no longer select any elements to edit.
    I have followed the guidance to unlock or unhide layers but this doesn't seem to be the issue. Can you advise?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The attached file contains one single image placed (from a png file). When this file is opened in Illustrator, the image covers the entire view area and selection outlines are outside the view area. Zoom out to see the selection handles. The contents cannot be edited like individual vectors because it is an image.

18. Spell check thinks 'ans' is a word

Ai CC 2019 Spell check thinks 'ans' is a word. Please see check the link of this forum thread regarding this subject: https://forums.adobe.com/message/11166357#11166357
    Apparently the function to adjust for this situation is available in InDesign but not Illustrator. The spelling mistake 'ans' instead of the word 'and' causes many issues (think how many times do you use the word and) it should not be too much of a stretch to update the spell check function in Ai CC to cover this issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Declined  ·  Ashutosh Chaturvedi responded

We rely on open source Hunspell dictionaries. We are sorry we will not be able to fix it at our end.

19. Resolve Blinking Power Issues Netgear

When the users of Netgear face an issue where the power LED is blinking, then the steps which they would have to undertake are as mentioned below:
    • The users can turn off the Netgear router, most often this would solve the issue which the users are facing.
    • Try restoring the Netgear router to its original configuration. To get this done, the users would have to keep pressing the reset button which is located at the back side of the router.
    • If the error remains, it is suggested that you connect the PC directly to the router’s LAN…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Exporting SVG using different methods provides different results

When exporting as an svg using the native "Export, export for screens" Adobe exports the svg as an svg 1.0.

Which isn't as commonly supported as svg 1.1

However, if a user opens that same svg in illustrator and bypasses the export as, and just does cmd + s, it becomes an svg 1.1

It would be useful to always have the same format rather than different ones. Preferably always save as svg 1.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a lot for reaching out to the Illustrator team. As a matter of fact, the newer SVG2 specification does no longer use versions anymore.

The main reason is that all modern SVG import tools/browsers ignored the version number and just open with what ever is in the SVG file.

Due to the implementation behaviour and the spec change and to reduce file size, all export scenarios do no longer export with a “version” attribute. That does NOT mean that SVG files get interpreted as version 1.0! The exported features matter not the version number.

We will update the Save as (CMD+S) route in the future to follow the pattern of SVG export.

Thanks,
    Dirk

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base