Translate Ideas and Comments
Choose language:
There was an error during translation

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system and version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop)
  2. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  3. Your expected result
  4. Your actual result
  5. [Optional] Upload your Illustrator file or a video

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Transform Panel – Nudge using arrow keys problem

In investigating my own question from in the user forum (https://forums.adobe.com/message/10238447#) I discovered that there is a disconnect between the Transform panel that is embedded in the properties panel and the Transform panel that you access via the Window dropdown.

The free floating TRANSFORM panel you access from the Window dropdown works just like it always did... when I put my cursor in the X, Y, W or H and click an up or down arrow key it first rounds to the nearest .125" then increases or decreases .125" at a time (assuming the units are set to
    11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Properties Panel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Center point invisible while moving object with dragging

Center point (set in Attributes palette with 'Show Center' button which is default for Live Rectangle and Ellipses) becomes invisible when you drag an object. And because I often use center to match position to certain point on a grid, I cant properly position object and get angry.
    Hulk illustrate!
    Please see animation attached for clarification.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Set Area Type width to larger than 13.888 inches via Type->Area Type Options... dialog

Though the type tool can draw area type boxes of any size, the width property of the Area Type Options dialog box can only be set up to 13.888 inches. This means that for any wider area type, whenever you change a property within the Area Type Options it will be resized to 13.888 inches wide.

This is not a new problem as seen in this thread started in 2010: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/701249.

I often work on area type larger than this seemingly arbitrary limit. If I adjust the columns, gutters, inset or any other property found within the Area Type…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SVG Export Missing XML Encoding Tag

The latest updates to Illustrator (21.0.1) seems to have removed the all-important encoding tag required by browsers to render SVG appropriately when embedding etc. in an html page.

It exports the svg without this tag at the beginning of the file.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  12 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Flickering cursor

70% of the times I used to use Illustrator CC 2017 my cursor used to flicker extremely fast switching from the tool I have selected to the default black pointer. With CC 2018 looks like it's 100% of the times.
    It's very annoying especially when I have to make accurate selections.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Expanded Objects have missing Corner Widgets

1. Problem occurs in all versions of Illustrator 21.x.x and 22.x.x

2. When an Object with a non-simple Appearance is Expanded the resulting shapes have Corner Widgets created for some of the corners but not for others.

3. All corners should have Corner Widgets.

4. When an Object with a non-simple Appearance is Expanded the resulting shapes have Corner Widgets created for some of the corners but not for others. I don't understand why when I expand a rectangle I get a new rectangle with 3 corners that have Corner Widgets but the 4th corner doesn't have a Corner Widget - how can it…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. File open as blank white screen regardless of file type or if new document

Whenever I try to open a new document or a pdf or ai file the screen shows up blank white. It is not because the white part is the art-board since I tried zooming out already and it didn't work. I also tried updating illustrator and that didn't work either nor any other questions I found on here.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

8. Zoom - Scroll Wheel

In Illustrator CC the program seems hardwired to not listen to the tablet settings about scroll wheel zoom or even touch pad zoom. There are lots of people online complaining about this and trying to find work arounds.
    I suggest just creating a hard wired button like photoshop did to fix this issue.
    This wasn't an issue with Illustrator CS4, so I'm not sure what changed.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,

9. ExportOptionsPNG24.artBoardClipping broken in 2020

ExportOptionsPNG24.artBoardClipping (set to false)

In 2019 (23.1), PNGs exported by javascript are trimmed to the visible bounds of the object as expected when false. When true, they're the size of the artboard.

In 2020 (24.3), the same script always produces PNGs the size of the artboard whatever artBoardClipping is set to.

Illustrator 24.3 vs Illustrator 23.1
    Windows 10
    Script run via Illustrator (File/Scripts) as well as testing in ETSK 4.0.0.1

It's a dealbreaker for version 24. We can't upgrade as a team unless this is fixed.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  SDK and Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. SVG Tiny 1.2 :: x/y attributes in svg element

It looks like Illustrator believes that x/y are valid attributes for the 'svg' element when exporting as Tiny 1.2. Based on reading the spec, I'm not entirely sure this is true.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Straight line extension does not work if the adjacent point has a handle

I have a shape.
    Some points of it have handles, some are not.
    For example, two points adjacent to the the bottom-most one: the right one has no handles, the left one has one.
    This, for some user-unfriendly reasons, matters and dictates Ai to draw an extension or not to.
    If I grab bottom point and try to move it along the right segment’s virtual extension, AI draws it for me and I can snap the point to it — 'because the adjacent point has no handles'.
    If I move this same point along the basically same straight left segment,…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Line tool is immune to the Constrain Angle

When you set up Constraint Angle to 30 or whatever is different form 0 or 90, pick up Line tool and hold Shift, it still snaps to 0, 45, 90, 135... instead of 30, 75, 120, 165...

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Artboards renamed when saving to CS4 or below

When saving an Illustrator CC2020 file down to version CS4 (which we have to do for client reasons), when it's reopened it has renamed the Artboards. So, in my example, the file has two artboards called "Artboard 1" and "Artboard 2" (we need to keep them named that way too for html coding reasons). If the document is saved as CC2020 or down to CS5, the artboards retain those names and all is well. If, however, we save down to CS4 or lower, when the file is reopened (I'm using CC2020) the Artboards are called "Artboard 43" and "Artboard 44".…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Export for Screens: pre-export settings for PNG and JPG are same, but post-export JPG resolutions vary

This is odd. I'm in Illustrator 2020 (24.0.1).

I have a .ai doc open.

I go to File->Export->Export for Screens...

Under the Artboards tab, I set up PNGs and JPG 100s, at various scales using Width as the variable. (See Export for Screens Screenshot)

I hit the Export Artboard button, and am notified of success.

I go to Bridge to examine the results. (See Adobe Bridge Screenshot)

The exported PNGs all have resolutions of 72 ppi (expected, good result).

The exported JPGs have varying resolutions, from 12 to 72 ppi (unexpected, bad result).

Why would that happen? Why don't all…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry about the issue in Illustrator,
    we need your help to resolve it.

Please share the given details at ShareWithAI@adobe.com
    1) If the issue is reproducible on latest build 25.0?
    2) Is multiple AI versions installed in your system? If yes, please share the details.
    3) Some video & Test file for our reference.

Also, please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Thanks

15. Issues with saving

2020 update often gives error while saving. It says the file cannot be saved. It then deletes the current file I'm working on, opens up a new window and I have to click save - as if I pressed "Save As..."

It happens quite often when I press "Cmd + S" to just save my artwork.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Workspaces not working, all panels hidden on start up.

Just update to CC23.0.1 and when I start up Illustrator all the panels are turned off and my workspace won't change or reset.

I can turn on the panels manually, but it resets when I close Illustrator. The reset, new workspace and manage workspaces options are greyed out. If I try to change the workspace nothing happens.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Intel i7-7700
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 750 Ti

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Warm Regards,

17. Can't switch to tabbed files/windows, screen turns gray, can't view any open files/windows.

When I have several files open, I can't switch tabs to another file. It gets stuck on one file, even if I click on different tabs, and eventually the screen goes grey and I can't view any open files.
    The only way to fix is to close files (without being able to see them!) and restart Illustrator. Hugely inconvenient to close files without seeing them.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. "Envelope distort > Make with top object" is warping/distorting text.

I've seen this issue in a lot of online forums, but found no answer. I'm using the CC trial version, fairly new to Illustrator.

Online tutorials show users creating a shape > typing text > converting text to outline > move shape to front > selecting shape and text > Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object. It shapes the text perfectly to shape, without distorting the font or curving the letters.

But when I follow these steps, but my text always comes out wavy and distorted within the shape. I've tried Envelope Options and deselecting "Distort Appearance"…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Performance issues in pixel preview on 5K retina screen

When working in pixel preview mode on the retina screen of my iMac, the scrolling and zooming in Illustrator are very laggy. Please do the needful ASAP or we plan to move to "Affinity" because illustrator is unusable for me and its impact our workflow.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  GPU Rendering Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Brush won't change to basic

When drawing in cc 2018 on macOS High Sierra version 10.13.4. Program will not allow me to select basic brush. it defaults to 3pt round or a bristle brush. If I delete that brush it won't allow to draw anything. Need to restart and still won't allow me to select basic brush.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Drawing Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base