Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1117 results found

1. Can't save as SVG

I can't save as SVG. Not with artboard and not without artboard. AI crashes. 4 times already. Need SVG for my laser cutter

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Link update & crash

When a linked file updated externally (on Photoshop), update link pop up window appears before the saving completes, makes both programs crash.

to explain in detail; Let's say i have an psd illustration linked in illustrator, if i edit the linked illustration on Ps save document and go back to ai, normally when the saving completes Ai comes up with and pop up window (if it is not preferred as automatic update) and asks if i want to update, when i click yes, and realize Ps file is still saving at the point of 99%..since i clicked yes, Ai can…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Symbols and SVGs issues (Illustrator 2020)

Issue: When an SVG is reopened in Illustrator with a symbol included in the artboard, the symbol shifts in position within a bounding box and crops as if it is within a Clipping Mask. Any black colour value within a symbol isn’t recognised and is automatically changed to HEX colour #000000. When the SVG is previewed in Finder and uploaded to Magento the symbols appear in the correct position.

Specs and testing: The issue only occurs since updating to Illustrator 2020 (tested on both macOS Majave (10.14 & 10.14.5) and macOS Catalina (10.15.1).

When opening the SVG in previous versions…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Export Save for Web resize by percentage does not work as it should

File>Export>Save for web> - When you change the size percentage, the new width and height number appear. The preview of the image does not change to reflect the new size. The resulting saved image does not reflect the new size. Only workaround is if you slowly click on width and height numbers, wait for the preview of the image to display the new size, and then click save. This has been a problem with all versions of Illustrator that I can remember. This happens on both Mac and PC, on all of the OS versions that I have been able…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Symbol mangling when exporting into svg

I see an incorrect result when exporting into SVG through File -> Export -> Export As... -> save as SVG. I have two gradient filled rectangles presented as symbols (see .ai inside the attached .zip), one is blue gradient and the other is gray gradient. When export into svg, the resulting image shows both rectangles filled with gray gradient (see .svg inside the .zip).

It looks like AI thinks both symbols are visually the same an merges them into a single symbol. If i use solid colors, this doesn't happen.

As for SVG options see 'svg_options.png' inside the .zip.

Check…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Multiple PDF Importing - Artwork size changes

There is an ongoing long time problem we have occasionally encounter. When we have to import multiple PDF's onto artboards for adding adding cutter marks for printing as soon as you save and close file then reopen it you can see the linked PDF's artwork sizes change. It seems to be relinking to the files and using the bleed size and then reverting to the media size. Has caught us out a few times. It's fine if we import infdividual PDF's.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Saving Bugs

I can't save the file cause the saving windows just keeps crashing
    i can't close with out saving either

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Adobe Draw not sending AI to Illustrator CC 2020

1. Windows 10 HOME / Adobe Illustrator 24.0.2 (64-bit)
    2. I logged out on every device from Adobe Creative Cloud and made sure I have up-to-date Adobe Draw on my Samsung S6 Tab as well as the up-to-date Illustrator on my Desktop PC. I am trying to send several projects from my tablet to Illustrator and they all say "Sent to Illustrator" but nothing happens on my Desktop. I have checked other articles that people posted and I have also tried to close the application, restart the computer/tablet, open them at different times, nothing is working. I have also checked Mobile Creations…
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Disappearing layers

I have had this same issue now twice. I saved a file as a PDF and chose smallest file size. when i look at the file no errors, but when sent to someone else layers disappear, i have now also had layers disappear after saving as a jpg for web. i have not changed any layer settings or save settings and this problem only started occurring yesterday.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 2020 .AI documents only opening .PDF pages in Illustrator CC

I am using Illustrator 2020 on my personal laptop, saving work to my iCloud to continue working on the files in university.
    Recently the files will only open as a .pdf (giving options for pages and not showing all the information) on the university Illustrator CC.

I could in theory Save as- Illustrator CC and presumably that would open okay, but it's annoying to have to do that every time!

On these screenshot Issue 1, you can see the file I'm trying to open (Dinosaur Libby) has a lot of information in the thumbnail, but only opens what's seen in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Crashes while Saving larger files

My illustrator crashes my 2019 iMac every. single. time. I try to save large files I haven't had issues with in the past (1 month ago!). I have the most updated version of IOS as well as Illustrator. I'm very frustrated!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Problem with elements' IDs when export to SVG

Sometimes when I export an AI file with some elements' names to an SVG file, it renames the IDs like if there are some duplicates.

Usually I can fix it by renaming the "duplicate" elements with a dummy name and then rename them back, but often it doesn't work and I have to delete the file and work on a new one, copying and pasting only the "safe" elements and redrawing the "duplicate" ones.

Sometimes it appends a special character on the IDs and when it happen I always have to work on a new file.

Version: 24.0.2 (64 bit,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. File > Place svg: altered shapes

In Illustrator v24.0, File>Place of some svg images distorts the shapes. It works OK if I open the svg file directly in Illustrator v24.0, select the layer and paste it on my artboard (in another open file). It also works OK if I do File>Place in Illustrator v23.1.1.

The "attach a file" option here won't let me attach an svg (why not?) so I've attached an AI file instead. Hopefully if you export it to svg you can see the problems when importing that svg via File > Place. Some of the problem are: the "m" shape is missing a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Alternative glyph (made with Fontself 3.5) don’t shown in text, when not installed in OSX or restart AI

I have a problem testing a new font. I create a font (Fonstelf 3.5.0) with character “a” and an alternative “a.alt” glyphs. I installed the new font just local for/in Adobe Illustrator CC 2020. In the window “Glyphes” I can see my alternative characters. But when I enter a text with the text tool, I only get “a” instead of “a.alt” which I selected in window “Glyphes”. I save my test.ai document.

After install the font with font book in the OSX 10.14.6 I can use and see “a.alt”. Funny fact: After installing the font and re-open test.ai document, the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. "operation cannot be completed for unknown reason [!now]" when outputting large png

Trying to export as png, art size is 80cm x 80cm, trying to save anything greater than 800ppi results in "operation cannot be completed..."

Operation is successful at anything up to 800ppi - file size at 800ppi is 120.9 MB.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. "Save A Copy" Action major issue

When recording a "Save A Copy" action, it won't let us choose a folder. Rather we are forced to choose a filename. So when we ever use this Action, all of our files are saved and overwritten as the same filename.

Please let us choose a folder like the "Save As" action.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Export for Screens and Save for Web Anti-Aliases edges of Artwork based on non-round artboard coordinates

In the latest Illustrator, export for screens anti-aliases what should be sharp outer edges of artwork (even though, for example the artwork is in a 1080px x 1080px precisely placed clipping path which is aligned to the 0,0 coordinates of the artboard. I have confirmed that this occurs because the coordinates of artboards were non-round numbers (ex. 56.02 vs 56).

I have not previously experienced this, and regardless, this should be fixed... anti-aliasing should be tied to the artboard the artwork is on, not the position of the artboard on the underlying workspace.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Some files are gray in MacOS 10.15.1 open/place dialogs

When accessing the open/place dialog on MacOS 10.15.1, some file names are gray while others are the normal black. They are still selectable, but gray. It looks like you can't select them, though. Disconcerting.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Illustrator taking forever to save

Version 23.0.4 taking forever to save relatively small files- not sure what's going on but this problem began this week and persists after reinstall.

help!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Sunburst shape distorted when saving Illustrator (Version 24.0.3) file to PDF

Sunburst shape distorted when saving Illustrator (Version 24.0.3) file to PDF. I have created a sunburst shape in illustrator using a circle shape, then adding a dashed like stroke. The file looks totally fine in illustrator and also when I save it as a PNG and JPG, but when I save it as a PDF the sunburst is distorted (uneven lines). I even sent an illustrator file to a printer and my prints arrived distorted, which means they had the same problem. They are also using the latest version of illustrator. Is this a bug?

The larger file shows the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base