Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

222 results found

1. 3D Revolve Classic not updating applied symbols after symbol changes

Making changes inside a symbol does not update where it is used as an instance. Video below shows editing of an extrude with a symbol applied to the outside of a cylinder. The preview toggle on/off inside the extrude tool also does not work in updating the applied symbol in real time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Applying Inflate Clips the Ends of a Line

I made a line with the line tool, made the stroke 3 points wide, and chose a color for the stroke. I also went into the stroke options and chose the rounded cap. Then I used the width tool to tweak the shape of the line to resemble the object I was drawing.

When I go to Effect-->3D and Materials-->Inflate, it crops off both the top and bottom end of the line.

I'm using Windows 11 and Adobe Illustrator 2022 v. 26.5.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Copy and Paste Appearance into Photoshop Not working

Update: I just noticed that this problem only occurs when I've applied the appearance effect to the entire layer as opposed to each individual stroke.

When I edit a brush stroke appearance on illustrator, that appearance doesn't carry over when pasting into Photoshop like it used to. I've tried turning on ACIB preserve appearance, but that doesn't work. The only workaround is if I expand the brush stroke (which is getting tiresome because I do this quite often).

Another issue: When working on one layer with multiple brush strokes, I attempted to expand that one stroke, but every single stroke…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Free Distort effect ignores Drop Shadow effect within

If a Drop Shadow effect is above a Free Distort effect in the Appearance panel (which means the shadow gets applied after the distortion) — it works fine.

However, if we first have a shadow and then try to distort the object which casts it (the Free Distort is below the Drop Shadow in Appearance) — the vector geometry gets distorted, but the shadow stays orthogonal and immune to the distortion.

Not a very popular workflow, I know, but still.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. GPU renderer fails on complex appearance stacks involving Knockout Group

I have an appearance stack that uses a scatter brush at 0% opacity to knockout parts of the underlying fill, thanks to Knockout Group being checked on this object.

It does not seem to work on the GPU renderer.

Some experimentation suggests that it does work if I shift the overall object's transparency from Hard Light to Normal. I haven't tried other opacity modes.

I have included a file with an example path, as well as screengrabs of how it renders on the CPU and GPU previews, and the data given by the "system info" button in the Performance pane…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Drop Shadows in Illustrator 26.4.1 won't export to SVG properly – they become displaced

I made an Illustrator 26.4.1 graphic that used the drop shadow effect.
    When I exported it to SVG, the shadows became displaced. They were all moved a bit to the top-left. I tried all kinds of alternate exporting and effects settings, always to the same effect.

I knew for certain that I had already done this in a previous Illustrator version, so I downloaded Illustrator 25.0 and tried the exact same thing – worked perfectly!
    Some time between those versions, something must have gotten buggy.

When I noticed this, I was on Win10 (Win11 now).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 3D Extrude doesn't treat a group as a group

I’ve got a logo I need to extrude, but Illustrator appears to be treating each object within the logo as having a separate instance of the 3D Extrude effect applied. You can see an example in the attached video – I add the effect and the preview is exactly what I’d expect, but when AI renders the effect, each object loses the perspective it has in the preview.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can't change 3D materials color since version 26.3.1

Just reporting the bug discussed in https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/i-can-t-change-3d-color-materials-in-illustrator-may-update-2022/m-p/12967705/page/2 .
    In short, color and other 3D material parameters are not longer configurable since version 26.3.1

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Vertical Adjustment in Transform pallet is working in reverse.

The vertical adjustment of Transform Effect in the Appearance pallet is giving incorrect values (positive value for negative effects and negative value for positive effects). Menu path = Appearance Pallet/FX/Distort and Transform/Transform. In the second screen shot, the COPY of the red circle should be ABOVE the original by 300 pts according to the value in the vertical adjustment.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Offset path preview not working

Offset path not working 1 in 20 cases. When I type a word, expand it and then try to create an offset path, I cannot turn the preview of the offset path. When this happens and I confirm the offset path, I cannot ungroup the the original text and the offset path. When I try to ungroup it, the text becomes the original again. It is very frustrating. I've tried to turn of the GPU preview, I have turned off my mac several times and I have reinstalled the Illustrator itself. Nothing seems to work. I used the offset path…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Symbols don't display when mapped onto 3D artwork - Illustrator 26.2.1

MacOS 11.6.5 iMac - non-retina NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2 GB - 32GB RAM
    Illustrator 26.2.1
    Hello, I'm trying to map a symbol onto a 3D extruded object (See attached) using the new 3D interface. All I see are some black lines. No matter which symbol (even my own), what scale or rotation I use, the display of the mapped symbol does not change?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 3D Materials Broken shading on repeat shapes

When using the new-ish 3D Materials fx on a group of shapes, some of which are aligned and repeating, the lighting and shading on one or more of the shapes breaks.

There is a workaround of adjusting the position or corner radius of the shape(s) with the issue by an imperceptible amount. It took a lot of investigating to figure that out.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Rendering with Noise Reduction enabled causes Illustrator crash

Happens every single time. Disabling noise reduction fixes it. I am using an external GPU.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Symmetry drawing issue with transform panel

Illustrator CC 2020 (all releases) | Illustrator CC 2021 (all releases)
    Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and higher - Windows 10 (all version supported by Illustrator)

Hello community,

I’m writing to you to ask for your help or advice on a problem I’m facing in Illustrator.

We use Illustrator a lot in the fashion industry to draw flat sketches, among other things.
    One of the drawing techniques we use is symmetry using an effect created in the Transformation panel (Effect/Distort and Transform/Transform).

When this effect is applied to a group containing paths, it regularly happens that one of the symmetrical parts…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Blend Modes Hotkeys are broken

Illustrator allows users to set custom hotkeys for blend modes, in Keyboard Shortcuts > Tools, right in the very bottom.
    Aside from direct commands for each available blend mode, there are two contextual keys: Next Mode and Previous Mode.

They don’t work as expected. Let’s make a simple test.
    1. Assign Shift+9 (displayed as 'Shift+(' — which is not correct, actually) for Previous and Shift+0 ('Shift+(') for Next blend mode.
    2. Put two colored shapes in a stack, to see what’s happening when you change modes
    3. Open Transparency panel, to see which mode is chosen (for some reason Properties…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.0.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

17. Outline stroke effect only works when applied first

When applying Outline stroke and roughen to a stroke (in order to render its width irregular) you have to actually select Outline stroke from the menu before seleting roughen. It doesn't work when you just rearrange them in the appearance panel.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. White-to-black gradients in opacity masks don’t go fully transparent

For opacity masks, 100% White should represent a 100% absence of masking and 100% Black should represent 100% masking (like in Photoshop).

The current system in Illustrator seems very unintuitive and flawed – a basic white to black gradient does not even totally obscure an image/object at one end of the gradient.

It shouldn't be the case that you then have further reduce the opacity of the gradient colours to achieve a standard gradient effect.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Make sure you use RGB black instead of Grayscale black in your gradients when making opacity mask in a RGB-based document to avoid shallow blacks and not fading to a complete zero.

More on that in the comments.

If you happen to have the same problem, please still add a vote to the request, to track statistics.

19. Colour Variation when using "Darken" transparency

Why am I getting a colour variation on screen when using the "Darken" mode in the transparency field.
    See attached illustrator Pdf.
    The "Substrate" spot colour has the "Darken" applied which is layered on top of the colour wedges.
    Should the colours of the wedges not display the same irrespective of whether "Overprint Preview" is on or off?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Path effects applied to a compound shape result a doubled stroke on expansion

1. Draw two overlapping shapes
    2. Remove fill and stroke for both of them
    3. Hold Alt and press Unite shape mode button in Pathfinder to create a live compound shape
    4. Apply Offset Path effect (or any other path deforming effect, like Roughen or ZigZag)
    5. Expand appearance of the object Result: two copies of the same stroked object Expected: one copy of the stroke object
    12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base