Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

45 results found

1. ð (eth) and Ð (Eth) glyphs not recognised as the same character

The glyphs ð (eth) and Ð (Eth) are lower and upper case of the Icelandic character eth. Illustrator has no problems working with them, except when you need to change the case, whether you do that by Type->Change Case or by changing the character attribute to All caps (or small caps for that matter).

This is a recurring bug in Illustrator, which has been fixed at least twice before, but somehow creeps in a few versions later. I suspect some legacy code in the internal text engine, which does not reflect the relationship between the two characters.

I’m including a…

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.0.2 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

2. Text height is wrong

When you select a specific text height, it is not correct. Say for instance you select 1 inch for text height but in reality the cap height is .68 inches. We work at a sign shop and a lot of jobs require a specific text height. This is misleading when I pick 1 inch for text height and it is no where near 1 inch in height. Can you please make it where the text height corelates to the actual cap height of the text, otherwise this feature is useless.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Latest Illustrator releases have Font Height Options you can access form Character panel’s menu — they allow you to set font height as a capital / x-height specifically.

The functionality has some minor issues (regarding rounded stems for some fonts, keeping the chosen option between launches), but otherwise it is very good. Please try it!

3. When a document using Japanese TrueType font is opened in different OS environment, font warning is given

When Japanese TrueType font is used in a document and opened in different OS environment,
    Even though you have installed the same font, you will get a font warning when you open it.
    Screenshots are created on Windows and open on macOS. But the opposite is also true.

1. Create a file in Windows environment and save it using related fonts
    2. When 1 is opened in macOS environment, the corresponding font is displayed as a font problem.
    3. Open Font Search after opening has not caused any problems

There are three types of fonts used, but problems occur with Japanese fonts or…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Unable to uncheck Type Pref Indic options & Fill object with placeholder text on preference migration from 22.1

1. MacOS Sierra ; Illustrator CC 23.0.1
    2. I'm trying to get the punctuation right while typing in Hindi, but I can't select "Indic Options". I went to Preferences>Type>Language Options. I can select "Show East Asian Options" but i can't seem to select "Show Indic Options" which is a bug.
    3. I expected to type correctly in Hindi
    4. I can't type in Hindi with the right punctuation and I'm on a strict deadline! Help
    25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

5. Glyph rendering bug with non-empty space char on OT-SVG fonts

The space character is not rendered consistently when it includes an SVG glyph:

• The glyph is invisible by default
    • But - as expected - it is visible in full color when moving the text object, and in greyscale version when switching to Outline mode
    15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.3.1 which is available worldwide now.

6. Fat bold hidden characters

I'm tired of muzzy white-space-markers, carriage returns and line breaks.
    Why are theese so fat and ugly?

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. On applying tracking via Properties panel, Illustrator issues like Tracking of complete paragraph changes , Bounding Box gets invisible

MacOS, multiple versions, multiple hardware configs
    Illustrator CC2018 & 2019

This has been reported on a number of other posts, but seems to keep being reposted as new entries, rather than upvoted.

Since CC2018 the ability to adjust tracking in Illustrator has been broken. This appeared to begin with the introduction of the Properties Panel in CC2018, but the issues extend to the 'normal/traditional' Character Panel as well.

When adjusting tracking on a single letter or group of letters, the program will glitch and the adjustment value shown in the panel will not reflect the value being incremented. Moreover, deselecting…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

8. Freeze on First File Opened if it has Missing Fonts

Illustrator CC version 22.1

1) Launch Illustrator
    2) Open Ai file
    3) If the first file I open after launching Ai has missing fonts the program freezes before it populates the missing fonts dialogue box. I have to force quit the application from task manager and relaunch.

Any subsequent files that are opened after the first file do not have this issue regardless of missing fonts. I am currently working around this issue by opening a file that I know has no missing fonts first before I'm able to open any files that may…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fonts - scrolling through list

What did you do to the font list??????

I don't even know how to describe the issue. I just know it's wrong. And messed up. And needs to be fixed!

Let me see if I can describe my complaint:

1) In the CHARACTER pallet: if you highlight the font name and begin typing another font name, I used to be able to put the first few characters (or even just the first letter), then click on the down arrow and it would bring me to that place in my list of fonts.

For example, I could type “HEL” and it…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

10. text handling still a mess in 22.1

Text handling in the 22.1 build - meaning the interactions between the Paragraph, Character, Paragraph Styles, and Character Styles panels - is still fraught with bugs and/or undesired oddity compared to previous versions. (2015.3 being the last completely -- or mostly -- working version.)

Open Illustrator 22.1 (Windows) and create a new blank document.

Draw a text box and fill it with placeholder text.

Create a new paragraph style (‘body text’) and set the font, size, and leading to something different from the default. (e.g. font: 10pt Avenir LT Std Book, 16pt leading).

PROBLEM 1: Select a word or words…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

11. Extended top and bottom of glyphs of variable fonts are not rendered

Vertically long glyphs with variable font are not rendered at the top and bottom. Please see attached file.
    When the character size is small or when the zoom ratio is small, all rendering is done normally.

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Font drop down menu disappears

Whenever I select the font drop down menu, and I'm going through the fonts I have, it just randomly disappears as I'm looking through the fonts to find the one I want to use, although I can still use my arrow keys to go through the list even though the drop down menu isn't on my screen.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.

Warm Regards,

13. Reverting Text to default State after Live Preview of character properties

I'm on an iMac running High Sierra 10.13.2 and Illustrator CC 22.0.1

Text will randomly hide bounding boxes, apply tracking to text not selected, and refuse to apply adjustment to selected text. Closing the document and re-opening normalize things temporarily, but above behaviors come back.

All CC apps seem laggy and unstable after 2018 updates.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. KERNING ON EXTENDED SELECTIONS...

My kerning worked just fine about an hour ago, but now every time I try to add a custom kerning value it gives me the warning: Kerning on extended selections can only be set to Auto or 0.

I can't seem to get this to go away.
    I uninstalled & reinstalled Illustrator and it is still happening.
    I tried many fonts of different types, and it still won't work.

-Chris

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.

Warm Regards,

15. Glyph rendering bug with bitmap OT-SVG fonts

Glyphs that consist of a single-colored bitmap image are not rendered in text frames nor in the Glyphs panel.

When we start using them within a text frame, they also break the rendering of all subsequent characters (they disappear).

To reproduce, enter the character "m" in the attached AI file.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Type properties panel bug

Every time when changing a text's properties and deselecting it the text is reverted to size 12. Also when a different colour is applied to part of the text and deselecting it, the colour is applied to the whole text. The situation is the same with different font styles - setting part of the text in bold will result that everything is changed to bold when deselected. It happens every time.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

17. Unwanted characters appearing when outlining text.

When using Type > Create Outlines, there is a chance of unwanted characters appearing.

Attached is a file where the error is reproducible. Notice how an additional "d" and "g" appear with you outline the text.

This file was created using Ai CC v22.0.1 and according to forum posts ive found, this issue has existed since CS4 or possibly earlier.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Set Area Type width to larger than 13.888 inches via Type->Area Type Options... dialog

Though the type tool can draw area type boxes of any size, the width property of the Area Type Options dialog box can only be set up to 13.888 inches. This means that for any wider area type, whenever you change a property within the Area Type Options it will be resized to 13.888 inches wide.

This is not a new problem as seen in this thread started in 2010: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/701249.

I often work on area type larger than this seemingly arbitrary limit. If I adjust the columns, gutters, inset or any other property found within the Area Type…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.1 which is available worldwide now.

19. Deleting segment of path for 'Type on path' and than undoing it gives wrong result

I have type on path.
    I delete one segment of the path, and text is now overflowing.
    I undo deletion, path got restored, but text does not — it is still trimmed, and I have to NOTICE this and drag end marker back.
    'Undo' must restore previous state fully.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.3.1 which is available worldwide now.

20. Font point size change

In the new CC 2018 release, when changing font point sizes, the program registers every keystroke entered in the font size field of the character box. For example, if piece of text is set to size 10, and you want to change it to size 15, entering "15" into the character panel changes the font briefly to size 1, until the 5 is entered and then it changes to 15. When undoing this change using command-z, the it requires two keystrokes to return from 15 to 10, because the first undo returns it to size 1, and the second then…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base