Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

40 results found

1. Workspace toolbars disappearing

Ai CC 2019 - all of a sudden all the toolbars have disappeared and won't stay reinstated. Workspace will not reset nor change modes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Stop asking about switching to the Touch interface

I have a laptop with a touch screen (that I never use, and never intend to use). Every time I open Illustrator, it tells me that it has detected that I am using a touch enabled screen and asks if I want to switch. I would be VERY appreciative if you could make this pop up with a "don't ask me again on this computer" checkbox as it is really annoying as it not always obvious that it has popped up and it makes the screen unresponsive.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Sorry to hear that this dialog was annoying you so much. I am glad to share that this has been removed from the latest release of Illustrator. Please upgrade to latest version to get rid of this issue.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

3. Tools move in tool bar, I need to reset tool bar back to default but then moves again with 2/3 mins of working. Please advise. Thanks.

Tools move in tool bar, I need to reset tool bar back to default but then moves again with 2/3 mins of working. Please advise. Thanks.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Oversize UI Elements in Ai 2019

I noticed that with the 2019 version of Illustrator (23.0), the entire UI of the software seems to be "supersized." It is as if every pixel is now rendered oversized. Not just in the drawing area, but all the tools, controls, panels, everything.

I've attached a "full screen" screen shot of the 2019 (v. 23.0) welcome screen, and the (reinstalled) 2018 (v. 22.1) welcome screen. Both are maximized on the same physical screen, the display on my MacBook Pro. See how the buttons and other elements are larger in the 2019 version? Like it is somehow zoomed in.

I do…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. "Left-click the tool to view a list of all the tools in the tool group." Does not work.

"Left-click the tool to view a list of all the tools in the tool group."

Very simple, right? We've all been able to do it forever.

Well, I don't want to be overly unpleasant about this, but, having finally upgraded from Adobe CS5 to Adobe CC, I find that this most basic of actions is unperformable on my computer. It worked in CS5.

It's the newest version of Mojave, 10.14.3, and the newest version of Illustrator, on account of me having just installed it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. User Interface zoomed in

The interface in my Adobe Illustrator 2019 is 'zoomed-in' and it's not the same size as other Adobe apps. I've attached a screen shot of Illustrator 2018 vs Illustrator 2019.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. resize does not respect the homothety

1) It is impossible to draw a specific object
    If we write 100 x 100 pt in L and H. This draws: 101,172 x 100,657 pt
    It's not accurate and not square !!

2) Having the box "keep proportions V and H" checked.
    You can not write 200 pt in H and keep the proportion respected.
    Example I type V = 200 pt. He writes me V = 202,172 pt and H = 203,292 pt

Still not accurate and not square

It's a disaster, because gradually, while working and constantly changing the sizes of these objects, everything becomes oval and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Interacting with properties panel can make app require force close

MacOS 10.14.1
    Illustrator 23.0.1

Clicking on options in the 'Properties' palette, then clicking outside the resulting dialog can make the app become mostly unusable:

• Menus are greyed out
    • any menu function can't be done, including save and quit
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi David,

This happens, when you open some menu while a panel pop-up is still open. Since you had the fill popup open from properties panel, when you clicked on menu, so its grayed out.
    You need to close the popup first to open the menu.

9. You took away the highlighted outlines from when I select and create objects

I cannot see the outlines highlighted on anything I select, this has ruined my ability to use this program.
    I tried going into preferences and selecting the option for showing anchors when I select and it did not work either.

I want the old version back, this is useless, PLEASE STOP CONSTANTLY UPDATING THIS PROGRAM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. Looks like you have ‘Show Edges’ option disabled. Goto View→ Show Edges and it will enable the outlines.

10. black screen problem

When creating a new document or opening an existing document in Illustrator, I get a black screen (see attached). I have to resize the window to be able to work. This is not ok.
    Version 22.1, MacOS 10.13.3, MacBook Pro with external monitor as main screen.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for confirming that it is working fine in 23.0.3
    I am closing the issue now. If you still face the issue please send am email to sharewithai@adobe.com and mention this thread and my name in the mail.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

11. stroke

Stroke panel does not work correctly. No details are shown and only after multiple workspace changes, does it sometimes appear.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for contacting us. your panel is in collapsed state. Please click on double arrow button to expand the same.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

12. New Document dialog window always coming up blank now

It was working at first, but now when I try to create a new document I just get a completely blank dialog box. When I mouse over areas of the box, the pointer turns from arrow to text input cursor or clicky-finger depending where in the window I am, which implied that everything is there, but not visible. To confirm this, I clicked on where I knew my favourite preset to be and hit return, and it created the right kind of new document.

So the dialog comes up, but doesn't display anything even though it's all there to interact…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Zoom in and Zoom Out Through Mouse Wheel does not work

In previous Adobe PD and Illustrator versions i was using preferences setting to change the zoom with Mouse Wheel, but in this version it is not available.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I can't paste into a new layer

I've updated to Illustrator version 22.0.0. I am working on a file where I need to replace a logo bug, so created a new layer. I've locked the original layer and then tried to paste the new bug onto the new layer (yes, it is selected), but I get the notice "You are attempting to paste or drag into one or more layers that are locked or hidden. Do you want to unlock and show all approriate layers?" So now I have to paste onto the original layer first, then move up to new layer. Is this a bug?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As stated in the comment, if 'Paste Remembers Layers' option is turned off in Layers panel’s menu, this is an expected behavior — Illustrator tries to paste the art into a layer with the same name it was copied from, ignoring the selection in Layers.

If you disable it, Ai will respect the layer selected.

15. Essentials Classic Workspace is missing

I have students who do not have access to the Essentials Classic Workspace. If this was removed this is a BAD idea, particularly for education environments. Educators like myself spend a great deal of time producing project-specific videos using a particular interface configuration and if my students cannot access it the videos and my valuable time have been wasted.s

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Adding Preset Brushes to Brushes CAN cause drop down menu to break

I wanted to have all the brushes that come packed with Illustrator available to me at all times. I loaded the ones I wanted, selected and added the brushes. Once I did this the drop down menu crashes and will not come back, the top is lost and does not scroll up. This has effected all my documents until I closed down Illustrator. When I did this again it was fine.... any ideas?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Benjamin,

Once you load all the brushes that you need in brushes panel, Save it as library from the flyout and you can open this library everytime you want to use it.
    You can mark the library persistent, so that it opens on restarting the application.
    Hope this helps. If you still need help write to sharewithai@adobe.com with mention of this.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Selecting list view does not change from grid view in "Start" screen.

v22.0.1

Selecting "list" view in the "start" window does not change the view. Have restarted numerous times. Not a big deal, but annoying when I need to see full file names (which are truncated in grid view).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue. If you want to turn it off, you need to switch to some other tool. Or you can remove it from panel by the flyout menu.

If this doesn’t resolve your issue, then please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here

20. New document dialog doesn't provide default values

When in Illustrator, I typically use ctrl-n, then hit enter to automatically open a new document.

However, the new document dialog as of Illustrator 2017.1.0 doesn't have default values filled when the dialog opens, and one is forced to pick the type of document one wants to create, from web, mobile, print, etc. instead of just hitting the "enter" key and changing these settings later.

In other words, you are complicating the flow of creating new documents.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Phillipe,
    Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. New document dialog in new version shows the last used profile as default selection.
    If you are still facing issue, Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here

2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base