Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

341 results found

1. Documents only shows gray screen when opening.

When opening a document in Illustrator on my iMac is only showing a gray screen. The tab bar has the file name but will not show the artwork in that tab. I can select all the art and copy from that tab and paste in a different tab and the artwork will show up there. Usually the only fix to get this to work is to quit Illustrator and restart it. This only works for a few documents and then it starts all over again. I just updated to the newest version yesterday 8/21/2019.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Duplicated artboards containing Export Assets link to the new artwork not the original

As the title says, Assets in the Export panel move from the original artboard and become linked to the new artwork on the duplicated artboards. Subsequently when you remove any artwork from the new artboard, you inadvertantly remove the asset from the Export panel.

Methodology:
    Duplicate an artboard (which contains an asset in the export assets panel) via the Alt-drag method. Ensure the move/copy artwork option is enabled. Delete the new copy of the artwork/asset on the new artboard, and the asset is removed from the export panel.

Expected behaviour:
    Any link to/connection to export assets should be retained by…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Illustrator Recovery-Mode has Turned all my Images Black

I was in the process of saving my original Illustrator file and it froze then crashed, I re-opened the software and it recovered the document but all my images have turned black.

And it's not a links problem, most images are embedded and I have a separate links folder containing the remaining linked images, as you can see there are no missing links.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. the ability to export multiple art boards as emf

the ability to export multiple art boards as emf...

also with emf export it has to be scaled up 1000 times to look good...

it would be great to automate that in the export process

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Mutiple profiles & Artboards

Illustrator Version: CC 2019 (23.0.3)
    Mac: Mojave (10.14.2) 5k 27" 32gb Ram

Firstly there are 3 Film & Video profile dropdowns (1. Film & Video, 2. Film and Video, 3. Video and Film). Not sure why.

No matter what general preset I use or artboard size preset I choose I get 2 artboards.

1 artboard is the correct size and the other is basically the complete canvas area.

I am constantly having to delete the 2nd artboard.

Can I stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Illustrator shows another file's content when opening a new one

If I have one document open and try to open a new one, Illustrator shows the new filename in the newly opened tab but with the OTHER document's content. This was happening in Photoshop too, and now both programs!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Pixel number inconsistency

Windows 10? (most recent and just updated yesterday)
    Illustrator 22.1 (64bit)

When I told Illustrator to create an artboard of 350x350 pixels, I thought it could actually do so. That was the template image size that our web designer propogated across our entire website.

Then I exported 11 images from Illustrator to .png format to re-build one of our webpages. They came out as 1459x1459. Now I will resize them in Microsoft Paint. They'll pixelate and probably look like trash. All because Illustrator can't understand "350 pixels x 350 pixels" on the Create New prompt window.

Flaming dumpster fire. I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to ensure your pixel-sized document stays the same size after export is to use the default screen resolution — 72 PPI.

If you set anything else, Illustrator will scale the image  accordingly (as if the 'Resample' option in Photoshop is ticked when you resize an image).

There is no way to write a custom resolution AND maintain the desired size at the same time.

The reasoning behind this behaviour is that the resolution value is supposed irrelevant when an image’s intent is Screen or Web. An image can have no resolution value stored in it at all, it’s just an optional coefficient, and then different viewers and editors suppose a value on their own — usually 72 PPI (Mac-style) or 96 PPI (Windows-style).

Unlike other editors, Illustrator has a continuous range for all measurements units. One pixel is considered to be equal one point, and a point…

8. Artboard 2 unnecessary

Every new document created has 2 artboards (At least when creating from the 1920x1080 HD video template) Every time I go to export a jpg or png via save for web, it slows to a crawl because of a huge unnecessary artboard. I only want to export the size artboard I created, the HD size. But I have to wait for it to catch up and then cancel, delete the useless artboard, then go back to exporting. The whole process takes several minutes and is infuriating.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Shortcut for 'New File From Template' does not work

1. Illustrator 22.1
    2. shift-command-N is the shortcut to open a new file from template
    3. Instead of the template folder appearing, to let me pick one of the dozens of templates we use…
    4. nothing happen, most of the time. But the "Type" category in the top of screen UI bar gets a highlight, indicating that this template shortcut is calling to some level in the "Type" category instead of the "File" category.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. new documents window with the same "template save" button like Photoshop CC

I think that the button to save an template how it works in photoshop is missing. And i hope that she comes... Finally, the rubric "saved" already exists.

The screenshot is from Photoshop.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Artboart Size arrow key increment not working for the width

when resizing the artboard using the 'Artboard options' panel it is possible to increment the size using the arrow keys, one MM at a time for example. This feature now only works intermittently for the width field. It is still possible to change the number and the artboard will adjust.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. No align on Artboart option for Forms

No align on Artboart option for Forms.
    In the new properties Panel if you select some custom form you get the alignment stuff, including the option to switch between "align on artboard and align on selection".
    If you select an Standard Form e.g. a circle you get no option alignment tools in the properties panel and you also have no option in the alignment window to select if you want to align on artboard or selection.

The properties Panel should have the possibility to align all elements, forms and so on.
    Also as a backup you should include the possibility…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Bug when Setting Artboard Ruler Origins

Ai v 22.0.0
    macOS 10.12.6

After updating from CC 2017 to CC 2018, I can now no longer assign individual Artboard Ruler Origins to each Artboard in a document

I use several nested Artboards to control different areas of the same artwork and assign the Ruler Origin of each to the same object. After the update, I can now only assign the ruler origin of one of the nested Artboards to the selected object; the Origin does not change on the others.

I have tried deleting all existing Artboards and then creating them and setting the Ruler Origin one at…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Keyboard shortcut for "Navigate to Next Document" stopped working on MacOS

With the latest update to Illustrator 27.2, I've found the "Navigate to Next Document" keyboard shortcut to have stopped working. I have checked the Keyboard Shortcuts tool and verified that it remains as "Illustrator Defaults" and it is set to ⌘`. In fact none of the related shortcuts work.

To be sure, I've tried a different keyboard with the same result and the shortcut does continue to work in other applications (as it is the default shortcut on macOS to cycle around documents.)

macOS 13.1
    MacBoook Air (M1, 2020)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Match maximum allowable PDF export dimensions to maximum artboard dimensions

When I try to save my artboard as a PDF I get this error: "The dimensions of this page are out-of-range". After researching, I found that the artboard needs to be under 200" to export as a PDF. Any way to change this limitation to 227" to match the maximum artboard size of illustrator so we don't get this error?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Artboard units still not working (illustrator 26.0.2)

Artboard units are stuck to pt, when it is supposed to be pixels set in preferences.

It's so basic, yet buggy. Artboards units are broken for several illustrator versions now, despite the claim of Adobe to have "fixed this problem in the new updated version of Illustrator"...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Cannot move artwork with artboard

Artwork only moves with artboard when duplicate action is used. Nothing in layers or in file is locked.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Rotate canvas 2-finger gesture interferes with 2-finger zoom gesture. Please include a 'enable/disable' tick box in preferences

Newly introduced 'Rotate View' feature has automatically enabled two-finger canvas rotate on apple trackpad devices. This new gesture is too similar to pinch-zoom gesture and often triggers the undesired action if the gesture is not performed perfectly. Seems like a development oversight to not include a disable option in preferences for this. Now I'm constantly having to esc out of rotate whenever I'm trying to zoom. Frustrating!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow templates to save a color profile

Allow templates to save a color profile instead of opening EVERY TIME as untagged RGB or CMYK. Or at the very least, since Color Management Policy is set to Convert to Working Space... DO THAT!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base