Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

236 results found

1. Illustrator v24 constantly crashes when I try to open a document

The update for the Illustrator 2020 version uploaded and it never opens, it freezes up with a white screen and says not responding. Now my 2019 version is doing the same thing and tells me I don't have enough memory.
    I have tried to uninstall all CC apps and reinstall, I have also tried the CC cleaner, no luck.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz
    2.5 GHz
    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
    64-bit operating system

I am also having similar issues on my Surface Pro 64-bit

I am unable to work on current projects at work, I need help!

Ashlee

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Adobe Illustrator CS6 Keep Crashing on Startup Using Mac Running MacOS Sierra V10.12.6. Can't Find any solution Here

Adobe Illustrator CS6 Keep Crashing on Startup Using Mac Running MacOS Sierra V10.12.6. Can't Find any solution Here...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. AI displays the START SCREEN on opening the file and the document view do not switches (refreshes) the file content.

v 22.1

When trying to open an existing file while Illustrator is closed, the software will lag and then hang on the opening screen. The file appears to be opened in the background, but there's no way to access or see it. The opening screen will give options to open additional files or create a new one (as usual) but when trying to do either, nothing will open and no New File Options menu will appear.

Everything will work normally only if I open Illustrator first and then the file.

This happens will every file I've tried, so this isn't…

200 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

192 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you all for reporting this issue and providing us your valuable feedback.

What we have found out so far is that this issue can happen in multiple workflows. For clear tracking, validation and closure. We will closing this thread for given below two scenarios which we believe are fixed now:

1)Double click any Ai file to launch Illustrator
    2)Placing files in Illustrator via Bridge.

For two other scenarios that we know of that can cause this, we have created a separate thread :https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39220189-ai-displays-the-start-screen-on-opening-the-file-a .If you are encountering the below mentioned issues with latest Version (24.0.1 on Mac and Win), then please vote on newly provided User voice thread and provide Test File via File→Package, Video and steps via dropping email at sharewithai@adobe.com along with this thread link so that we can identify and fix the root cause.

1. On opening a file in Illustrator the START SCREEN do…

4. Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 2019 Not Responding when opening file & Slow on Start MACOS Mohave 10.14.1

1. Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 2019 / MACOS Mohave 10.14.1 2.1 Slow or Not Responding - Launch Adobe Illustrator - by clicking on icon in dock or in applications folder 2.2 If it launches - Click on Open from Dashboard and try to open a file - it becomes non-responsive or takes forever. 2.2.1 Tried opening ai files (any of them I have) directly- same issue 2.2.1 Tried to command copy and save to change location I have filed stored - it copies to new location, including adobe cloud, same issue 2.2.3 New files never show up in recent files on…
    27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

5. Illustrator crashes when opening any file after Microsoft Cumulative update 2019-09 KB4517211

Running Win10 Pro x64. Uninstalled and ReInstalled Cumulative update KB4517211. Problem goes away if uninstalled, and recurrs after re-installing Microsoft update. Have latest NVidia GPU drivers installed (problem occurred with prior version graphics drivers as well) and latest version of AI (23.1). Problem occurred prior to update to 23.1 today. Problem started after Microsoft Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1903 x64 and problem is resolved when uninstalling Cumulative update. Used Microsoft tool to HIDE updates to stop KB4517211 from re-installing.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When I enter and open an Ai file, it starts one more illustrator application.

I am working on updated version of Adobe illustrator cc 24.0.1 (64 bit) ruining on windows 10 .

If I have already opened my application and then hit enter on any AI or EPS file to open it, it launches another application of illustrator while the first one is also running . So, at a time two same applications run on my system.

I want to open that file in same application.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. After latest update, Illustrator opens and is half off-screen. It is frozen there and can't be moved or resized, and menus are often missing

It would be great if the program would open and actually be usable. With half of the program off-screen, and being unable to move or resize it, I can't get my work done.

Windows 10 Pro, Illustrator V24

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Illustrator 23.0.1 crashing almost immediately after launch

I am running Mojave 10.14.2 (system screenshot attached). Every time I start Illustrator, it runs for 5-10 seconds and then crashes. There are no error messages; it just dies. The same thing happens with InDesign. Photoshop appears to run without issue.

I have tried looking for updates in the CC app, but it says that the programs are all up to date.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the software, but the issue remains.

I have seen responses for similar issues where Adobe techs say that the issue has been fixed on version 23.0.1, but that is not the case;…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please try again, there was a server level issue that was leading to a crash on January 9th 2019

NOTE: This issue is only for the scenario where Illustrator 23.0.1 / 23.0.0 started crashing on January 9th 2019

9. Plug In Error Message

I get this error message every time I start Illustrator. Running Windows 10

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Can't open or create Illustrator files

Illustrator CC 2019 won't open or create any .ai files since this morning.
    * Double clicking a file causes a crash
    * Opening a file through Menu > Open causes a crash
    * Creating a new file through Create new... causes a crash

Illustrator asks me to send in a crash report, then closes.

My system:
    Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit
    Version: 1903
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
    Installed RAM: 8GB (7.90GB usable)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Illustrator version 23.1 won't launch

Illustrator version 23.1 will not launch after initial opening upon install. On Windows 10 64 bit. It also will not start in safe mode. I uninstalled that version and went back to 23.0.6 and it seems to works fine.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Hang/Freeze when trying to open an Illustrator file with a placed PDF/Image

1. MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Illustrator 23.x.x
    2. Opening an Illustrator file. (It doesn't matter if Illustrator is already open or not.)
    3. The expected result is that the file will open as normal.
    4. Actual result is Illustrator hangs/freezes for upwards of 15-20 minutes before it will open the file.

As i mentioned in the title, this only happens when I am trying to open an Illustrator file that has a placed PDF inside. Specifically they are Nutritional Facts panels or Supplement Facts panels that were built in InDesign and exported as PDFs. Then the PDFs are placed on product labels in…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Adobe Illustrator 23.0.6 Crashes

Adobe Illustrator 23.0.6 crashes after 2 minutes of launch. Tried reinstalling, restarting the computer but the problem still persists. Trying to install the previous version now :(

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. home screen keeps loading

When starting Illustrator after the splash screen the Home screen keeps loading. It never loads, even after hours. Your man from the support center couldnt fix it either. You may disable the home screen in the prefs but thats a workaround I dont prefer. I found deleting your temp in users/username/appdata/local/temp works but thats plain ******** if you ask me. Solution? Please?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

16. crash after windows update

Every time since I installed the latest windows update (KB5407453, KB4509096) that I try to open or create a new file adobe illustrator crashes. The crash report is attached.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

From the looks of it it seems to be crashing with GPU. Here is what I can suggest
    1. TEST: Disable GPU from preference panel and then create a anew document to see if it still crashes
    2. FIX: Update GPU driver – each manufacturer will have a different way to get and install drivers. some help here: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-gpu-performance-driver-update.html

3. IF NOTHING WORKS: Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

17. Static screen

Can you fix the new update of adobe illistrator? I can't use it. Every time I try to create a new file it shows the lines of something similar to a static screen and I'm not able to use it for anything. I really need to be able to use this program for college.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. New document window sticks to single space when working in macOS

When you start a new document, if you switch spaces in macOS Mojave, the new document window sticks to the original space it was opened in instead of following the user from space to space. This can lead one to think that Illustrator is frozen or stuck as the workspace is locked when the new document window is open. Double clicking Illustrator on the dock does not switch the user back to the space the new document window is in.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Unstable CC 2019 in Mojave

Illustrator CC 2019 on OSX Mojave is completely unstable.
    Ive been working on a few files today, Illustrator crashes within 3mins of working on a file and there is no recovery file, so basically I lose what I am working on. Im now saving every 30 sec anticipating a crash. At first I htought it was a font conflict, so I outlined all of hte fonts. Nope, still crashes. Next I will uninstall Illust CC19 and re-install.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Mojave is a supported operating system since Illustrator version 23.×.
    We request your help. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

20. GPU start

Hi there, here is my issue what i found.

Create new file, start working - illustrator is little bit slow. In Preferencies i switch on GPU - everything works perfect. After work i close Illustrator app. Next launch I see the home screen but everytime if I want to open new file or file I was working on before Illustrator freeze and does not work.
    Only working solution for this issue is from home screen go to preferencies switch GPU of - open document - switch GPU ON and after that I can continue on my work.

My HW configuration:…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?