Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

236 results found

1. v23.0 files won't open with v23.01 update, Unknown error occurring

Can't open v23.0 ai files since the update to v23.01. The program doesn't even attempt to open, an error pops up saying "an unknown error has occurred"
    Help please,
    this is making work very difficult

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Illustrator CC 23.0.2 does not open files and cannot start new file. Toolbars and Menus are inaccessable.

All I can see after opening or trying to open files is a window that is hiding parts of illustrator file - I can see part of this on the right side and on bottom. No menus or tools are available to use, and the progress wheel just keeps spinning. Very frustrating. I am using my Illustrator CC 23.0.2 on IMac OS 10.14.3. I have updated Illus CC, restarted the app, uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted computer, etc. I have had to resort to using Illus CS6 in order to work. The attached image is what I get when trying to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Can't open any files.

Illustrator won't open any files at all. Every time I try to open one (doesn't matter what file type) it causes the program to turn unresponsive.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Recent Files Browser Window: Selection state highlights and selects item in row below

(Same issue as another bug, but adding additional and differing details here:)

This has happened multiple times, consistently. It isn't a one-off incident.

Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 / macOS Mojave 10.14.2

Step 1: Open Illustrator from desktop icon.
    Step 2: Click on a recent file from displayed recent file option thumbnails.

Expected result: Selected file opens.

Actual result: The file directly below the one clicked opens (one row down) i.e. selection offset.

On launch from closed, the cursor selects the file one row below the thumbnail of intended file within the grid, with the hover-highlight activated on this incorrect file.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. home screen keeps loading

When starting Illustrator after the splash screen the Home screen keeps loading. It never loads, even after hours. Your man from the support center couldnt fix it either. You may disable the home screen in the prefs but thats a workaround I dont prefer. I found deleting your temp in users/username/appdata/local/temp works but thats plain ******** if you ask me. Solution? Please?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

6. Can't open files from Microsoft Outlook or any other outside source!

Can't open a file by double clicking on it from an attachment in an email or from explorer or from my desktop etc! Only way round it is to do File > Open when Illustrator which is a reeeeeally slow way of working when you're dealing with multiple files! Pleeeeeeeeeeease fix this :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Illustrator 23.0.1 crashing almost immediately after launch

I am running Mojave 10.14.2 (system screenshot attached). Every time I start Illustrator, it runs for 5-10 seconds and then crashes. There are no error messages; it just dies. The same thing happens with InDesign. Photoshop appears to run without issue.

I have tried looking for updates in the CC app, but it says that the programs are all up to date.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the software, but the issue remains.

I have seen responses for similar issues where Adobe techs say that the issue has been fixed on version 23.0.1, but that is not the case;…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please try again, there was a server level issue that was leading to a crash on January 9th 2019

NOTE: This issue is only for the scenario where Illustrator 23.0.1 / 23.0.0 started crashing on January 9th 2019

8. Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 2019 Not Responding when opening file & Slow on Start MACOS Mohave 10.14.1

1. Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.1 2019 / MACOS Mohave 10.14.1 2.1 Slow or Not Responding - Launch Adobe Illustrator - by clicking on icon in dock or in applications folder 2.2 If it launches - Click on Open from Dashboard and try to open a file - it becomes non-responsive or takes forever. 2.2.1 Tried opening ai files (any of them I have) directly- same issue 2.2.1 Tried to command copy and save to change location I have filed stored - it copies to new location, including adobe cloud, same issue 2.2.3 New files never show up in recent files on…
    27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

9. Illustrator v23.01 will not open subsequent vector files via Indesign, Bridge or directly from a folder.

When I try to "Edit with" in InDesign or open a vector file via Bridge or directly from the folder, it opens the file for the first time on launching the software, however if I try to open files again while Illustrator is up and running, it will not open. I then have to quit Illustrator to open the file. This is counter productive as I have to do this even when i have to make a small edit or move/delete an object. Especially when I'm working on multiple graphs, etc.

My fix for now is to revert back to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

10. my illustrator won't start after updated 2018

I just recently updated the new version, and it got stuck on the start-up. what should I do?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Very long loading splash screen after update 23.0.1

After newest update 23.01 splash screen freeze on trying to initialise SmartEditUI.aip for few minutes (and crash if I try click on it at this time)

This only happens at the first time start.

On the adobe forum I see that people have the same problem
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2550614

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

12. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator crashes as one file opens.

Opening a file I have been working on, Illustrator crashes just when the window appears after the loading bar disappears. As far as I know, this only happens with this particular file. I can open another file which is much larger.
    This is pretty much a disaster for me.
    I've tried restarting, and closing all other programs. AI still crashes in the same way.
    AI 2019 Mac 10.14.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. intro page won't disappear

Opening Illustrator 2019, I see the intro page with my recent work. I click to open it, and it seems to "think" the document is open - I can see my un-embedded layers panel full - but the intro page won't disappear. I can't close it, the arrow next to the AI icon won't collapse it, and I can't work without quitting the app and trying to reopen again. Does the same thing whether I open from the Finder or from the Intro page. MacPro 2012 (5,1) upgraded CPU and GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - flashed). I realize it's…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Illustrator keeps crashing when opening files or when creating a new file.

Like the title says, Illustrator crashes no matter what I do when opening files or when creating a new file. Nothing seems to fix it, a fresh install did nothing as well. Any ideas? got important projects I need to work on =_=.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. OPEN WITH default app

Since the new update 23.0.1 it is not more possible to start a file default with illustrator.

i tried several times installing and unistalling illustrator different versions.
    the problem persist.

after 7 installations of new and old versions, removing all files from regirtry i

Now i installed both, CC2019 and CC2018, and the same, it is not possible to change starts only default with cc2018.
    (or other apps) but never with CC2019

i can start only illustarator 2019 with "open with" on this one time way works.

asus gt752v

Windows 10 see attached screnshot.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Blank window opens when starting the application. Closing the window, the application closes too

Hello !

I just have the problem when launching the apps, there is a blank window appearing . If I close the window, the application is just closed too, error's image attached.

It just happens on this PC, it works normally for others.

I've already tried to reinstall the Creative Cloud and all the apps but nothing works.

Have anyone faced this issue, please help! Thanks a lot!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Opening Illustrator files brings up the Text import options box and then a blank file after updating to the current version?

I cannot open any existing Illustrator files without the Text import options box (As shown in the screen shot) opening. If I click cancel the box goes but the file doesn't open. If I click ok it opens a blank file but with the correct file name.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times and the same happens every time? Please help!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. "open file"

Illustrator won't open more than one file.

With version 23.0.1, Illustrator will permit to open only one single file. The first file can be opened by any method, any subsequent file can only be opened using "File/Open" command. Using Windows Explorer or Drag&Drop does not work! and will freeze Illustrator; ending the application is only possible using the Windows Task Manager.
    I'm running Illustrator CC (23.0.1 64-bit) ond Windows 10 Enterprise (10.0.16299).

THX for fixing this!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Unstable CC 2019 in Mojave

Illustrator CC 2019 on OSX Mojave is completely unstable.
    Ive been working on a few files today, Illustrator crashes within 3mins of working on a file and there is no recovery file, so basically I lose what I am working on. Im now saving every 30 sec anticipating a crash. At first I htought it was a font conflict, so I outlined all of hte fonts. Nope, still crashes. Next I will uninstall Illust CC19 and re-install.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Mojave is a supported operating system since Illustrator version 23.×.
    We request your help. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base