Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

32 results found

1. Type on path not converting to outline

Operating System: OS X Ventura 13.4.1 (c) (22F770820d)
    Version of Illustrator: 27.7

I have an artwork which includes some type on a path (circle). When I go to send the file to a printer (PDF), I always outline the text as we've had issues in the past. For this artwork I've selected all the content and selected 'Convert to Outline', which has worked fine on all the type except the type on a path elements which just disappeared. I restarted Illustrator, but this didn't solve the problem.

The Type on a Path was part of a group, so I then…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Two selection borders around text

There's a second border around a text in my file when I select it. I cannot find why, what it does and how to remove it. When I create new text, it doesn't appear.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Glitch signs introduced by illustrator when opening a plot created by R

Hi everyone,

I mainly use Illustrators to manually edit plots/figures created by R (a statistical programming tool). R creates PDFs which can (normally) be opened and edited using Illustrator.

However, I recently encountered a strange bug. My plots look just fine when I open the PDFs using Acrobat Reader, but they contain glitch signs instead of points when I open them using Illustrator 2023.

I am attaching a (zoomed in) picture showing these symbols. If anyone can help, that would be very appreciated :).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Linked Text Boxes DEFORM

When spreading text over more than one text box, the first one is fine, but any consecutive one deforms so the copy is stretched.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Can’t select a hyphen at the start of the line

テキストツールで半角英数字で入力したものが、後になって選択できなくなる場合があるようです。
    「- 2022 -」と入力したあと、修正しようとしたら、最初の「- 」が選択出来ません。

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator converts a hyphen at the start of the line to a bulleted list, unless the 'Automatic Bulleted and Numbered lists while typing' option (enabled by default) is not turned off.

These converted markers can’t be selected, unless you convert the text back with the dedicated button in the Paragraph menu.

But be warned though, that sometimes disabling the auto-conversion does not work, and hyphen and other characters still force Illustrator to create a list.

If it does happen to you — please vote here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/45928900

6. copy paste text turns to outlines.

coy and pasting text turns random parts of it to outlines. if you option drag the text, it works fine, keeps all the text in tact. this happens even in the same document, other documents.

makes working pretty much impossible between documents and just a pain in the same document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Font compatibility issues between different iOS and Illustrator versions

My one system is on Mojave (10.14.6) running 25.4.8 illustrator. The other system is on Monterey (12.3.1) running 26.5 illustrator. And I have downloaded and installed Petrona font from Google fonts on both the systems.

Now when I try to open the file (that was created on Mojave) on Monterey I'm prompted for missing fonts! This compatibility issue is making it very difficult for me to work across my devices.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Change case feature not working.

I am trying to change from uppercase to lowercase. Using 26.5.1 (64-bit) version. I wish I had not upgraded as it crashes every few minutes. Steps: highlight text; Type-->Change case-->lowercase. (In the attached video the Type drop down does not appear in the recording; follow the mouse.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Toni, for some reason you have All Caps option enabled in the Character panel for this particular text selection (or rather the whole type on path object).

Once disabled, Ai stops to force the capitalization for it, and the result of Change Case commands start to be visible.

I agree though it can be tough to discover.

If anyone else happen to have this exact problem — please add your votes, so the team can get data on reviewing this in the future.

9. New text set to wrong language

Everytime I create a new text using the text tool, the language for the text is set to "English: EUA", but both my Illustrator settings and my document settings are set to "Portuguese: Brazil".

I don't believe that there is a THIRD place where I need to configure this, so I imagine that it's a bug. Also, my Illustrator it's updated, but I've been experiencing this for a while.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Type on path tool, cannot flip to inside the path

Illustrator Beta 25.3 265@236190

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) macOS Big Sur v. 11.2.3, 32mg memory, 2.3GHz 8-core Intel Core i9, Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Created a circle, attempting to use type on path tool, works find to place type outside circle, cannot drag the type inside the circle to be at the bottom. Shows there when I click and drag but when I release it places the text on the outside of the circle in a different location.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. can't use the hand tool while using type tool anymore

If you're using the type tool, you used to be able to hit the command key, then press the space bar to bring up the hand tool to move the canvas around without affecting the type. It's worked this way for years and years. Now, however, when you bring up the hand tool while type is selected, the space bar adds spaces while the hand tool is also operating. Please fix this!

This is another one of dozens of examples of things that worked flawlessly in Illustrator for years, but is now fundamentally broken. These types of problems are plaguing…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Cannot move type!!!!!!

I cannot move any of the type that i type and i also cannot select the type that i just typed..... I am extremely annoyed with these updates...... Why can i not moved type? Why as soon as i have typed a word, can i not then select that same type???

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Type on a path tool resizing causes crash

I have the latest version of Illustrator CC 2020 v. 24.0.3. Unfortunately, everytime I try to resize a type on path, Illustrator crashes. I have restarted the app and system and that didn't help.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Big problem with 'Horizontal Align Center' bug fix

Windows 7 64bit professional service pack 1,
    Illustrator CC 23.0.6.

The recent fix for "The 'Horizontal Align Center' option does not align text with the center of object if text has tracking applied on it" in version 23.1 is causing all of our files, tens of thousands of documents, to display incorrectly when you open them, shifting text automatically. We need to be able to turn off this "fix" in settings or something please. We produce scale rules and navigational equipment etc. and almost every one of our files is incorrect if we upgrade to 23.1! We are stuck on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Type Tool is very slow - Adobe Illustrator CC 2019

I recently update Adobe Illustrator CC to the latest version (CC 2019) and the type tool is painfully slow. Every time I try to use it, I get 15-20 seconds of the pinwheel before the cursor shows up. Once the tool is finally activated, everything takes a prolonged amount of time (5-10 seconds to type a letter, etc.) Thanks for any help.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Paragraph style tab numeric measure is wrong

v22.1/23/0.1
    Windows 10

Both v22.1 and 23.0.1 show the wrong numeric 'X' measure when setting or adjusting a tab stop in a paragraph style. The measure shown is inflated both according to the ruler below the tab stop, and tabs set using the tab window. The numeric measure is inflated by an increasing amount the further the tab is from the left margin, and remains inflated whether units are set to mm or inches.
    eg. 20mm tab stop shows as 29.8mm in the paragraph style dialog

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Text always shows as black

Sometimes, when I apply color to a text box (using the swatches or the eyedropper) the color shown on screen is black even though in the Appearance panel the Fill is the one I applied.
    I made a screenshot (attached) to demonstrate

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

The attached screenshot displays the FILL color underneath the CHARACTERS in the APPEARANCE panel therefore any change applied to the FILL will not be displayed, to display it correctly please move the FILL color row on top of the CHARACTER row (Click & Drag) in the Appearance panel.

Hope this helps to resolve this issue.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

18. 0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Wrong font preview for RTL languages

There are a few problems with the new fonts preview in the last version of Illustrator.
    1. Even though 'Selected Text' preview option is selected the preview shows first five Hebrew alphabet letters instead.
    2. This happens weather the text box is selected or the text itself.
    3. Sometimes the 'Selected Text' preview is shown. In those cases it's shown backwards (LTR instead of RTL).

This happens in spite of the fact that the text box is marked as a 'Hebrew' one and 'RTL Arabic' digits is selected.
    I'm using a Mac running OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Eli,

Not all the fonts have all the glyphs available with them to show the preview. For the fonts where glyphs are not available, we show the default sample preview (that’s why you get first five glyphs for those fonts)

Hope This helps.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator QE

20. Selection tool not working with Text

Intermittently, the selection tool isn't working with my text. For area type, the bounding box will disappear (and "show bounding box" is enabled). When it re-appears, often there is a lag between when I move the text and when the bounding box follows it. If there is no lag, it is not uncommon for the bounding box not to move at all.

OR my selection tool will (on area type) act only like a direct selection tool. And the transformation controls on each side of a rectangle of the type box will disappear. All I can do is use the…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    We are getting response from users that they are facing this issue no more on Latest Illustrator released version .Hence marking this issue as resolved.

In case you are still encountering this issue.
    Kindly provide some video and Test file(Via File→Package) with some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us in a zip file at sharewithai@adobe.com .Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base