Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

19 results found

1. Can't switch to tabbed files/windows, screen turns gray, can't view any open files/windows.

When I have several files open, I can't switch tabs to another file. It gets stuck on one file, even if I click on different tabs, and eventually the screen goes grey and I can't view any open files.
    The only way to fix is to close files (without being able to see them!) and restart Illustrator. Hugely inconvenient to close files without seeing them.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Artboards name disappear after renaming

After renaming an artboard in the panel, it will return to it's default name eg. , Artboard [x], instead of maintaining the new name.

AI version: 22.0.1

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

3. Paste on All Artboards Not Working

I have a design on a single artboard. I want to paste it to other artboards to prepare my color separations for screen printing. When I cut the design and select Paste on All Artboards, it pastes the design the correct amount of times...but NOT on the artboards. It pastes them out in the gray area. I have tried different artboard arrangements, and having different artboards active at the time of paste, but the designs still end up not on the artboards.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It is not clear to me if artboards are of same size or different sizes. When we paste an art we take into account artwork’s relative position from the artwork where it was coped from. I have attached a gif to demonstrate my point. if you look at the second circle it is placed outside of other artboards due to relative position in its original artboard.
    Please contact support if it is not the case – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

4. .AI an d XD files not opened by default on Windows 10

Ashutosh Chaturvedi, sorry but one of your issues is not totally fixed, you have many users who are waiting for an answer for the .ai an wd files wich are supposed to by opened by default by thèse two softwares by double-clicking. This issue is not fixed on Windows 10. Thank you for your time and you answer ASAP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Before you do that are you manually able to change file association of .ai file to another application say Notepad.exe ? There is another issue with file association going around. Please check this link: https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/microsoft-broke-windows-10s-file-associations-with-a-botched-update/

5. 39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. new document jumps to last page instead of first page

Occasionally when I create a new document in Illustrator CC, it jumps to the last page. Then once that document is closed and opened, it does it again.

Am I missing something? Never use to do this.

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We open a file to the last saved view. So by design Illustrator will open to the artboard(page) and zoom level that was when the file was last saved.

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

7. The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [xlfd]

I have two customers that send me hundreds of Illustrator files created using a Windows version of Illustrator. Every one of them reports this issue on opening: "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [xlfd]." I click OK and everything is fine in the document as far as I can tell. The problem is that I need to batch save these files as PDFs, but I have to sit there and click "OK" for every file so defeating the purpose of batch processing. This is a recurrent bug with the last three revisions of Illustrator. Please resolve it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Applying a new graphic style duplicates paths into hidden groups

This is a severe bug that ruins SVG export by creating multiple copies of the same paths after switching graphic styles.

I believe something caused a created graphic style that should have only had a simple fill to create copies of the path when applied to paths.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

9. Minor Bug (Smart Guides on/off)

When opening/creating a new document,

the View > Smart Guides will be checked on. But they are not actually on. You have to turn them on/off a couple times to actually get them working. At first I thought that they were altered or removed from the last update. Fortunately I figured it out!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. New file

There is a bug going on. Click " new file " and nothing happens. Please help me fix this asap

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

11. New Artboard Decimal Rounding

Illustrator 2015.3.1

Created a new document, set artboard to 3.375 x 2.125 with .125 inch bleed. Dialog box rounds to 2 decimal places as usual, but I expect that it honors the 3 decimal input. Save document as PDF, place into InDesign using Bleed box, am surprised to discover that document places at dimensions of 3.63 x 2.38.

Further testing shows that if I enter the proper dimensions with the artboard tool after creating the document, then it honors the 3 decimal places. So it is only the new document dialog that is actually rounding the dimensions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

12. Place Jumbling Points on Artwork

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Illustrator 22.1

I was working on an ad and placed the logo of the company and part of the logo looked strange. Turns out it is jumbling random points on random outlines of the logo.

Regular place.

Jumbled partial logo.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Not able to resize or draw.

I have created a new document but when i do Ctrl+0, it shows resized percentage but actual document does not resize. Even when drawing nothing shows up. But when i am closing the document, it shows everyting.

I have attached the video.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Rearrange All Artboards does not move artwork with it when spacing is adjusted

1. OS X / Adobe CC 2018 (OS X is where this document ran into this issue, but if it helps troubleshoot, it is being passed back and forth between a Windows 10 machine).

2. I have a document with multiple artboards. I needed to increase the spacing between them. I went to Rearrange All Artboards where "Move Art with Artboard" was already selected from multiple previous re-arrangings. I changed the spacing from 20px to 60px.

3. I expected the artboards to have the new spacing, with art in the same location.

4. The artboards had the new spacing, but the art on every…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

15. Illustrator | Free Template Download Error

1-Adobe Illustrator CC 2018
    2-Trying to download free template from print tab
    3-I expected the template to download like all the other templates I have downloaded
    4-I got an error message
    5-This is a screenshot of my error message

Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Illustrator crashes when adding an art board

Illustrator crashes when adding an art board

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Realign Canvas function blurs artwork

When using the function to realign/sort canvases — including the embedded artwork — the artwork is placed on subpixels, although it was pixel perfect before. This bug appears in the pixel-preview mode, no matter when on CPU or GPU mode.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Artboard edge shows behind an object of the same size as the artboard

1. CC 22.0.1 (32-bit)
    2. I'm creating a favicon, I started out at 164 px by 164 px and used Shift + Alt to resize it to 50 px by 50 px. Then I changed the size of the Artboard to 50 px by 50 px.
    3. I expected everything to line up and look right.
    4. A small white edge of the Artboard is visible on the right side of the drawing
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

19. showing an extra art-board which doesn't really exist

It is showing an extra art-board which doesn't really exist,

Illustrator 2017 ME

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)