Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

364 results found

1. Illustrator CC 2018(Mac) Crashes every time I save

Every time I save Illustrator quits and creates a weird .tmp pdf file? forcing me to save as every time I need to save

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

2. Unable to export PNG higher than 72ppi

"Export As" command will not export PNG files any higher than 72 ppi. Even when I set it to export at 300 ppi, it still exports at 72.
    Please fix this!

95 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Increase size of anchor points / handles

Anchor points and handles are hard to grab.
    On denser displays the problem is amplified.
    Hard to grab using stylus.

162 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

4. Files not saving correctly, reopens to older versions.

Twice this week I've saved files, closed them, and opened them later and my changes were not saved – illustrator opened way older versions of the files. What's weirder is one is a PDF, and the PDF shows the accurate file, but when I open it in illustrator it shows the old version.

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Libraries Panel broken

Although the Libraries panel is open, I cannot select another library, it's stuck on the same one. When I pull up the menu to choose another and click on it, nothing changes. Been like this for a few weeks now.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.4.1 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

6. Export as SVG: linked image gets deleted

Hi All,
    I have an issue when exporting to SVG.
    I created an AI file with a linked jpg image as a background, and some text on top.
    When I export to SVG, the original jpg image gets deleted (I mean the original file, it disappears from Finder, it's not even in the recycle bin) and then Illustrator gives me the message "Some files are missing or modified in the links panel. Would you like to update them now?".
    So, the first time I export, the SVG is saved correctly but I lose the original image file, if I try…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Illustrator Crashes when Opening File on Second Monitor

Illustrator is crashing when I open up the application on my second Monitor. But when I open it on my laptop it works. It will only work on my second monitor if I open it up on my laptop then drag to the second monitor. But if I want to open up another illustrator file it will crash again if I'm using the second monitor.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Local file saving and opening is extremely slow when connected to slow external server or VPN.

LOCAL file saving and opening is extremely slow when connected to slow external server or VPN.

Even though I only work on my local drive, opening or saving a simple document takes up to 2 minutes when I'm connected to a slow VPN connection server. Note: I don't open/save through the VPN, I only opens and saves from my local drive.

The second I close the slow VPN connection, Illustrator works like normal and saves the same file in <3 seconds.

So -- What is Illustrator doing accessing that VPN connection when everything it needs is on the local disk?

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

9. text handling still a mess in 22.1

Text handling in the 22.1 build - meaning the interactions between the Paragraph, Character, Paragraph Styles, and Character Styles panels - is still fraught with bugs and/or undesired oddity compared to previous versions. (2015.3 being the last completely -- or mostly -- working version.)

Open Illustrator 22.1 (Windows) and create a new blank document.

Draw a text box and fill it with placeholder text.

Create a new paragraph style (‘body text’) and set the font, size, and leading to something different from the default. (e.g. font: 10pt Avenir LT Std Book, 16pt leading).

PROBLEM 1: Select a word or words…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.

Warm Regards,

10. Selection of all objects inside a group instead selects group

In previous versions of Illustrator if I was inside a group, and I selected all the objects, it would treat it like typical multi-selection. Now once I've selected all the objects, Illustrator behaves as though I have selected the group.

For example, I have 3 objects at 40% opacity. I group them, so now there's a group (with 100% opacity) containing 3 objects (at 40% opacity). When I enter the isolated group, and I select the first object, the transparency shows 40%. Nothing changes when I select the second object (still shows 40%). However, when I select the third object,…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.2.0 which is available worldwide now.

11. 91 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

12. Illustrator CC 2018 in macOS High Sierra Save 'Adobe PDF' presets/.joboptions scrambled, unsorted, mixed up

Since the Illustrator CC got updated to 2018 in macOS High Sierra, whenever saving as Adobe PDF, the PDF print settings/job options got all scrambled/mixed up in the 'Save Adobe PDF' dialog.

These should be sorted alphabetically, but as you can see they're all mixed up. A couple of colleagues are also experiencing this. Is there any way to workaround/fix this issue? See related thread from InDesign - could a startup JSX fix this issue?

See my original post on the Illustrator users forum: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10419940#

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

13. Image Not Visible/Blank When Placing EPS Files into new file

I use a program called Separation Studio to separate raster images into spot colors. I then open up a new Illustrator file, click file -> place -> select the eps file created from Separation Studio, and the image that is placed is blank. This was not an issue with any versions of Illustrator. In previous versions, you were able to see the image that was placed and even change/alter the spot colors that were brought in. In this new version, CC18, the spot colors come in with the image when it's placed, but even if you change the spot color,…

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Warm Regards,

14. Pen tool located in type tools

Took me a while to find but found the pen tool hanging out with the type tools. Please stop fixing things that are not broken. I remember before CC things works pretty well. Now every time there's an update, some other bugs pop up that weren't there before. Is this just a way for engineer job security? Well whatever it is, its becoming a major pain.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

There was an issue in 23.0 causing tools to shift between groups. This has been fixed in latest update (23.0.2). After update, please reset the Basic and Advanced toolbars by opening the tool drawer (3 dots at bottom of the tool bar), then using ‘Reset’ from the fly-out menu (on top right).

Apologies for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh

15. Saving a PDF compatible causes slow saving

I have a top end workstation so the spec isn't an issue. When saving an AI file, checking PDF compatible slows the save and subsequent saves significantly. Un-checking it results in normal performance. This was not an issue prior to the latest release.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Version info disappeared from “Get Info” of Finder

macOS 10.12.6
    CC 22.1

For ai files saved using v22.1, version info is not displayed in “Get Info” of Finder.
    When checking with xattr command, com.apple.ResourceFork did not exist in those file.
    Did the specifications change?

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Resource Fork in .ai files are removed in version 22.1. This is done to prevent an intermittent crash while saving Illustrator files to smb volume on macOS 10.13. Apple deprecated resource fork many years ago.

Following Apple document talks about deprecations that lead to removal of Resource From .ai files
    https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/releasenotes/General/CarbonCoreDeprecations/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012224-CH1-SW28

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coreservices/carbon_core/file_manager?language=objc

17. Clicking on File > File Info... does nothing and sometimes locks up

When opening a file or creating a new file, nothing happens when I click on File > File Info...

The menu bar disappears and all menu options are grayed out. I can sometimes hit escape and it clears the condition, but I'm unable to open the File Info dialog. Other times, it completely locks up and I have to Force Quit.

On version Illustrator 22.0.1
    Running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D102)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 'Remove redundant points' in Pathfinder options keeps unticking itself

AI doesn't respect 'Remove redundant points' being checked in Pathfinder options and always unticks it.
    This option must not resets itself.

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.

Warm Regards,

19. Custom scripts added to the Scripts menu are not shown in alphabetical order

Custom scripts added to the Scripts menu are not shown in alphabetical order.

-Illustrator CC 2017.1.0 (21.1.0) version
    -See screen capture

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Attributes Panel shows Overprint for mixed selection

The Attributes panel shows that a selection of multiple objects is set to Overprint when the selection contains objects that are not set to Overprint. Only if a non-overprinting object is selected prior to the group selection, will the Attributes will correctly show the "-" (Dash) to indicate a mixed selection. See Screenshots attached.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.3.1 which is available worldwide now.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base