Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Can't select multiple anchor points with direct selection tool

The Direct Selection Tool does not select anchor points. When the DS tool hovers over object, the outline appears, but no anchor points appear. Neither can be selected and activated. When DS tool hovers over an anchor point, I can move that one point only. DS tool behaves exactly same as Anchor Point Tool. I cannot select several anchor points at once, and move / align / delete / distribute / join them. Win 10.1903 AI 24.0

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Type on a path tool resizing causes crash

I have the latest version of Illustrator CC 2020 v. 24.0.3. Unfortunately, everytime I try to resize a type on path, Illustrator crashes. I have restarted the app and system and that didn't help.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Welcome screen doesn't show

Hello,
    I'm using windows 10 and Illustrator 24.0.2.

Whenever I'm launching Illustrator, without opening a .ai file, my welcome screen doesn't show at all. I can start a new project fine but I still need my screen to show. And yes the setting to show the welcome screen is checked.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Illustrator Keeps Crashing

Illustrator crashes every time I use it. I could be drawing for two minutes and it will crash out of nowhere. It often lags as well. I have the newest update and have tried uninstalling and installing it and still it continues to crash. I am using Windows 10 Pro with illustrator.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Fill & Stroke colors & gradients selective but only previous fill visible on object

Latest Windows PC Version 10 64-bit. Adobe 2020 (24.0.2).
    Everything was normal until I began drawing a regular 5-point star with green fill & black stroke (fill color doesn't really matter). Layer shows correct colors of star in layers panel but the layer folder and what's visible on screen show no change in red fill result (which was set previously). In other words, choosing different fill colors made no difference. However, stroke color can be changed. Tried other shapes with same results. (Even restarted Illustrator.)
    Putting another shape on top of a previous shape caused the stroke of 2nd shape…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Artboard units do not follow what is set in preferences (v 24.0.3)

Set units to be in inches, but Paragraphs palette shows fields in points.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Set round corner numerically for multiple corners

When multiple Anchor Points are selected, it would be nice to set the rounding numerically, in stead of by dragging the mouse.

But unfortunately double clicking a Corner Widget let us set the value for only the clicked corner, and not for all selected corners.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Remebering fractional values in Extrude & Bevel

You can type in fractional values in Extrude & Bevel and they work fine, although AI rounds them up immediately in fields, though applies to the art.
    But when you try to save this appearance in Graphic style and then re-apply to another art, all fractional bits are gone, AI treats them as integers both ways.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Sorry about the issue, but the feature works that ways.

1) On applying Effects in fractional values, it gets applied immediately. While saving this appearance in Graphic style and then re-apply to another art it will work the same (as with fractional values)

2) While trying to edit already applied effects, the input details get’s rounded off. As a result, you have to enter fractional values for the precision.

I hope this info will be helpful.
    Incase you still face any issue get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Thanks

9. Escape Key and Arrows Not Working With Illustrator 2019

Several keys are not working as intended. The arrow keys do not work at all. The escape key also does not work in certain situations. When creating text, the escape key no longer works to exit out of editing the text.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi everyone,

The issue seems to be fixed for all users. So please let us know if anyone else is still facing it, otherwise we can close the issue.

Regards
    Anjali
    Adobe Illustrator

10. illustrator version 24 vector file is too large

1. Windows 7 Pro - Adobe Illustrator 24.0.2 (2019)

2. Opening a 2.7 MB Adobe Illustrator 23 (2018) all vector file and saving it.

3. Expect file size to remain similar or the same

4. File size of the new version 24.0.2 results in 260 MB

The file is using Gaussian blur. I suspect it is this. The file attached is the 2.7 MB version 23 file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This happens most probably because of the enabled PDF-compatibility option on save, which makes Ai write a PDF copy into the file along with the native Ai format. It helps to other apps to place and use the artwork inside, but it also makes the live raster effects to get rasterized, and it leads to size bloating.

Untick the 'Create PDF Compatible File' option and the file size will stay at 1-3 MB.

11. Bug with stroke

Hello! I got a bug. When you copy a shape to a new artboard, a stroke appears that cannot be deleted. It is superimposed over the usual stroke. And when you remove the fill and stroke, it remains. The same when reinstalling the program, this problem remains in this file.
    P.S. I worked in the latest version of illustrator

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Help > Illustrator Help goes to marketing page

Selecting Illustrator Help from the Help menu no longer links to Illustrator information and search links, but goes to a generic CC marketing page. From there, there is no clear path, and it requires at least two more clicks, in addition to having to figure out which are the appropriate links to follow. This is not helpful, and takes time away from productive work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Height and Width indicator at cursor switched when resizing a box.

When I go to resize a box, the height and width indicators at the cursor are switched.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The rectangle you are scaling is probably rotated 90 degrees, and how has the width oriented along the Y-axis.

See, rectangles are drawn as live shapes when created in versions after 2014, and they remember their widths and heights independently from the size of their bounding boxes (which can differ a lot if a shape is rotated to an arbitrary angle).

This is somewhat confusing... but your own height does not get smaller if you lay down, isn’t it?

To solve this, you can convert your live rectangle into a path and then immediately convert it back t a rectangle again (Object > Shape > Expand Shape / Convert to Shape) — this will effectively reset the rotation to a 'normal' way.

14. No search bar in Pantone swatch color books

When I go to search for Pantone colors, or and other colors, there is no search bar at the top of the swatch tool window

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Properties panel auto select field contents

Illustrator v24.0
    Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Since the Properties panel was introduced in Illustrator, it won't allow selecting an item, then click once on a field name, such as W for the width field, and automatically select the contents of the field so you can then just enter a new value or use the arrow keys to change the value.

It works fine in the Control bar and other panels, just not in Properties.
    It works in the Properties panels of InDesign and Photoshop, as well.
    Was hoping it would be fixed in Illustrator 2020, but still not.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. AI displays the START SCREEN on opening the file and the document view do not switches (refreshes) the file content.

v 22.1

When trying to open an existing file while Illustrator is closed, the software will lag and then hang on the opening screen. The file appears to be opened in the background, but there's no way to access or see it. The opening screen will give options to open additional files or create a new one (as usual) but when trying to do either, nothing will open and no New File Options menu will appear.

Everything will work normally only if I open Illustrator first and then the file.

This happens will every file I've tried, so this isn't…

200 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

192 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you all for reporting this issue and providing us your valuable feedback.

What we have found out so far is that this issue can happen in multiple workflows. For clear tracking, validation and closure. We will closing this thread for given below two scenarios which we believe are fixed now:

1)Double click any Ai file to launch Illustrator
    2)Placing files in Illustrator via Bridge.

For two other scenarios that we know of that can cause this, we have created a separate thread :https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39220189-ai-displays-the-start-screen-on-opening-the-file-a .If you are encountering the below mentioned issues with latest Version (24.0.1 on Mac and Win), then please vote on newly provided User voice thread and provide Test File via File→Package, Video and steps via dropping email at sharewithai@adobe.com along with this thread link so that we can identify and fix the root cause.

1. On opening a file in Illustrator the START SCREEN do…

17. Pattern Swatches Shift when Copied & Pasted

Copying and pasting a pattern filled object or text, especially when pasting into a new document, should not shift the pattern. This causes many issues when passing files to others.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Generally this behavior is controlled by the option, Preferences > General > Transform Pattern Tiles.

However the positioning of a pattern inside of an object is controlled by the origin point of a specific document, the 0,0 position on rulers, which may differ in different documents. Ai recalculates local coordinates on paste, preserving the look of the pattern, but if you change the origin later, the pattern will shift.

Please comment back if toggling this option does not work for you.

18. Some of AI file paths disappear when exporting to PNG or JPG

A simple AI file containing the logo and text (all outlined) is saved fine as AI or PDF, but if I try to export it to PNG or JPG, some of the paths contained within the image disappear and are not rendered in the resulting raster file. I am attaching the master AI file, and the rendered PNG file (created by going to File > Export As > PNG). As you will see, the rendered PNG file is missing the ALFRA name within the square white shape. FYI, I sent the file over to a friend of mine and he…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Rotate tool dialogue box won't appear

After selecting the rotate tool, rotate dialogue box won't appear.

a dialogue box will appear only if I double click on the rotate tool but then I am not able to move the anchor point to the center of the object.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Effect 3D Rotate perspective error

With Effects/3D Rotate, Illustrator can't render a placed image using a high perspective value. The image is all distorted. See screenshots:

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue, Illustrator Team really appreciate this.

To adjust the perspective, enter a value between 0 and 160 in the Perspective text box. A smaller angle is similar to a telephoto camera lens; a larger lens angle is similar to a wide-angle camera lens. A lens angle that is higher than 150 may result in objects extending beyond your point of view and appearing distorted
    For more details please refer to link: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/creating-3d-objects.html#extrude_bevel_options

Thanks and Regards
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base