Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Expanding compound path causes a shift in the object shape

If I call Expand on a compound path, there is a shift in the width and height of the object. This seems to only be a problem when the stroke is in the center. If the stroke is inside or outside, there isn't a problem.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator can display width and height values respecting the width of strokes and effects, if you enable Use Preview Bounds option in Preferences > General. It also makes bounding box larger to fit them visually, hence the change in dimensions.
    When it’s off, only geometric shape is taken into account, ignoring stroke width or effects.
    When you expand the shape, the stroke is not a stroke anymore, but a filled path, that makes the overall group geometrically larger.

2. SVGs: Objects with dashed lines are split up

Hello,

I create an object (rectangle) in the AI with a dashed line (8px / 8px). Contour 2px and grey filling.
    If I save this object as *.svg and then open the saved SVG again, the path of the rectangle is fragmented.
    This denomination always occurs just before the corners. In other words, a rectangle is divided into 4 paths and becomes a group...

Version: AI 23.1
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    Intel Core i7-6820IQ 2.70 Ghz
    16 GB RAM

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for a late answer. Basically it happens because of 'Align dashes to corners' option that is turned on for the object in Stroke panel. When it's on, Illustrator internally treats this stoke exactly like you have in the SVG — a group of normal dashed lines with recalculated gaps and dashes, and custom inserts where it's required.

SVG just can't handles this, so to preserve the look it applies this treatment, converting it from the 'live' to 'expanded'.

Try to disable the option and comment back if it helps.

3. Big problem with 'Horizontal Align Center' bug fix

Windows 7 64bit professional service pack 1,
    Illustrator CC 23.0.6.

The recent fix for "The 'Horizontal Align Center' option does not align text with the center of object if text has tracking applied on it" in version 23.1 is causing all of our files, tens of thousands of documents, to display incorrectly when you open them, shifting text automatically. We need to be able to turn off this "fix" in settings or something please. We produce scale rules and navigational equipment etc. and almost every one of our files is incorrect if we upgrade to 23.1! We are stuck on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Using the newest version of Illustrator won't let me use new files for older illustrator versions (ex: illustrator at school)

Opening Illustrator files created last night on the newer version on my home computer won't load at school on an older version of Illustrator. The files are completely missing artwork. You can see all the components on the recently opened page, but when you open the file. The artwork doesn't load.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Deborah,
    We have bumped up the file format in AI 2020 so any file created in AI 2020 is not compatible in older versions. Please do a save as Illustrator CC version before sharing the file.
    The older release should also be warning users that the file was created in a new version and will have some data loss.

Best regards,
    Ashutosh

5. Type Tool is very slow - Adobe Illustrator CC 2019

I recently update Adobe Illustrator CC to the latest version (CC 2019) and the type tool is painfully slow. Every time I try to use it, I get 15-20 seconds of the pinwheel before the cursor shows up. Once the tool is finally activated, everything takes a prolonged amount of time (5-10 seconds to type a letter, etc.) Thanks for any help.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. resizing window

When creating a new document the widow goes full screen, when I try to resize using the bottom right corner to resize window, it automatically grows larger than the screen size and can't grab the corner....then when I do get the corner back on the screen trying to resize just doesn't work well, its very slow and largish and half the time it won't resize it jumps back to full or only partially resizes....never did this before and its a pain i spend 10 min trying to get the window like I want it to be nearly every time I…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Paste in Place gets object pasted into its original layer and not a selected one

Copy an object (Cmd + C), then create a new layer, select it and Paste it in Place in the new layer — the object gets placed in tis original layer instead.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The 'Paste Remembers Layers' option in the Layers panel’s flyout menu regulates this behavior. When it is checked — Illustrator will honor the original layer of a copied artwork and paste it in the same layer, ignoring the selection of a layer.

However, if disabling this option does not help — please comment.

8. Action using "save as" location not keep settings after restart of Illustrator

I created action that use the "save as" to defined location, when closing and restarting Illustrator the action doesn't save location of "save as" action.

Windows 10 pro ver. 1803

Illustrator ver. 23.0.1

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Double Tool Bars

My current build of Adobe Illustrator is displaying two toolbars, side by side, one minimized and one expanded. I'm assuming this is a bug. I reset the essentials tool bar and re-installed illustrator but the problem persists. See the left side of the attached screenshot

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Option + Enter (on keypad) doesn't work anymore to produce a copy

OS x 10.14.6

Illustrator 23.0.6

When using dialogue boxes for scale, rotate move etc, after inputting numbers i used to be able to hit option + enter (next to the keypad) and it would create a copy of whatever I element i was scaling, rotating, moving. This doesn't work anymore. nothing happens. I have to hit option + return for this to work. It used to work a few versions ago. Can you please change it back. it's super annoying inputting numbers on the keypad and not being able to hit the enter key next to the keypad to create…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Paragraph style tab numeric measure is wrong

v22.1/23/0.1
    Windows 10

Both v22.1 and 23.0.1 show the wrong numeric 'X' measure when setting or adjusting a tab stop in a paragraph style. The measure shown is inflated both according to the ruler below the tab stop, and tabs set using the tab window. The numeric measure is inflated by an increasing amount the further the tab is from the left margin, and remains inflated whether units are set to mm or inches.
    eg. 20mm tab stop shows as 29.8mm in the paragraph style dialog

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Align distribute center doesn't work

Trying to use Align>Distribute center with Align to Selection selected - on a group of elements.

Elements arent distributed symmetrically but seem to randomly distribute, some elements very close together and others very far apart. Same issue has been repeating since updating to 23.0.1. Working on MacOS Mojave 10.14.

For example the attached 3 elements were aligned with horizontal center distribution, but the center object moved close to the left text block.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Actual Size view menu does not display at actual size...

The new "Actual Size" feature under the view menu does not zoom to actual size. a 1" square is displayed at around 7/8" instead.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

there are two issues in this post
    1. Users want this feature to work on multiple monitors.
    2. Users want to have a view actual pixels for web drawings.

for #1 please vote here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/35799382--actual-size-should-work-with-multiple-monitors

for #2: we have an option to disable – You have to go to Preferences > General and uncheck “Display print size at 100% Zoom”.

14. High Sierra (macOS 10.13) GPU rendering issues with RGB document - Intel Graphics

Illustrator 21.1.0 has issues with GPU rendering in the latest High Sierra public betas:

Paths will appear jagged and generally do not display correctly.

Altering the zoom level affects these artefacts.

Switching off GPU rendering altogether fixes the issue but this way, performance is obviously affected.

Additional Note: Works correctly in CMYK document.

385 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Object size change?

Now, the transformation panel reflects the size of a shape plus the thickness of the outline if there is one.
    For example, a rectangle of 100x100 with an outline (in the middle) of 1 displays a size of 101x101, 102x102 if the outline is external and 100x100 if the outline is internal.
    It's a very confusing change! The previous behavior was much more talkative.
    I understand that this reflects the actual size, including the outline thickness, but this should be an option. I did not see myself 3 decimal digits when I want a rectangle of 100x100! :)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Copy text from illustrator and paste into word pastes as image and not editable text

Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Mack book pro MacOS high Sierra Version10.13.6.
    Microsoft Word Version16.23 (190309)

Copy text from illustrator (Command C) and paste it into Word (Command V) using shortcuts on keyboard the text does not come in to word as editable text but as a picture that I cannot edit.

I copy text from illustrator and past it into Word for editing and then past it back into Illustrator when I am done with the word editing. I do this for technical drawings, sketchbooks and any other 2D design and presentation work.
    Since 2011 until 2018 I was able to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you right click in word you should get a paste as text option.
    Can you please contact Microsoft support. Like most applications we do promise text in clipboard along with other formats like svg, metafile etc…
    It is for word to pick any of these clipboard formats and consume.

17. Pixel number inconsistency

Windows 10? (most recent and just updated yesterday)
    Illustrator 22.1 (64bit)

When I told Illustrator to create an artboard of 350x350 pixels, I thought it could actually do so. That was the template image size that our web designer propogated across our entire website.

Then I exported 11 images from Illustrator to .png format to re-build one of our webpages. They came out as 1459x1459. Now I will resize them in Microsoft Paint. They'll pixelate and probably look like trash. All because Illustrator can't understand "350 pixels x 350 pixels" on the Create New prompt window.

Flaming dumpster fire. I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The intended way to ensure your pixel-sized document stays the same size after export is to use the default screen resolution — 72 PPI.

If you set anything else, Illustrator will scale the image  accordingly (as if the 'Resample' option in Photoshop is ticked when you resize an image).

There is no way to write a custom resolution AND maintain the desired size at the same time.

The reasoning behind this behaviour is that the resolution value is supposed irrelevant when an image’s intent is Screen or Web. An image can have no resolution value stored in it at all, it’s just an optional coefficient, and then different viewers and editors suppose a value on their own — usually 72 PPI (Mac-style) or 96 PPI (Windows-style).

Unlike other editors, Illustrator has a continuous range for all measurements units. One pixel is considered to be equal one point, and a point…

18. Text always shows as black

Sometimes, when I apply color to a text box (using the swatches or the eyedropper) the color shown on screen is black even though in the Appearance panel the Fill is the one I applied.
    I made a screenshot (attached) to demonstrate

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

The attached screenshot displays the FILL color underneath the CHARACTERS in the APPEARANCE panel therefore any change applied to the FILL will not be displayed, to display it correctly please move the FILL color row on top of the CHARACTER row (Click & Drag) in the Appearance panel.

Hope this helps to resolve this issue.

With Best Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

19. Workspace panels move on their own

While using the new Illustrator CC v.23, the workspace will randomly move around and cover up the artboard that I am working on. I can simply click "reset workspace" and it's back to normal it is very frequently that the workspaces move around randomly. Please fix, Thanks.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have a feature to popup colors panel when you click on fill/stroke proxy. Please remove the colors panel from the the workspace when it pops-up you should be fine. When I say remove you just have to remove from the dock and keep it as a floating

20. Tool panels are enlarged or scaled up

Updated to Illustrator 2019 - workspace panels have increased dramatically in size - see screen grab of Illustrator and the same area in photoshop.

Solutions helpful as I cannot have as many panel open as they now take up so much space!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base